closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Career help: Instant gratification or the long game

I dont think there are any right or wring answers here, so many variables and unfortunately most people offering advice on this thread own balls that are hairy not crystal

I think in situations like these you can spend weeks listing pros/cons but in the end you have to go with your gut feeling

it sounds like you made your final decision with the benefit of some invaluable advance insight but ultimately you were confirming that the role just didnt feel right in the first place (not sleeping etc)

Good luck with your role, I am sure you will be very happy with your decision :)

Sounds like you made the right choice to me. At least that’s what your subconscious is telling you. I was made redundant in Oct 2016 and was job hunting from about May 2016 when I was told what was coming. Jobs that matched my experience seemed thin on the ground and jobs within a short commute of where I lived in Hampshire were non existent. My previous employer had been a very rare Hampshire based business in my field. I eventually accepted commuting into London was inevitable and after a few weeks of extending my search to London was offered a job. It was back doing something I’d done in my late 20s to early 30s. I knew I could do it but did jump at the first opportunity to come along. As my start date approached I began to think that I had been looking back at the earlier period of my career through rose tinted glasses. I was not sleeping and beginning to think I had made a big mistake. But I was now unemployed, beggars can’t be choosers and all that. Within a week of starting the new job my fears were confirmed. In fact it was a lot worse than I feared. I decided to give it a year for the sake of my CV. However, a month after starting an agent who I had registered with called me about a role that was similar to the one I was made redundant from but paying way more money and in an interesting rival company. The only difficulty was it paid 20% less base salary than the job I just started. However the bonus and pension were way better meaning in total it was about 10% more so I was fine with that. After numerous interviews where I had to repeatedly explain why I was willing to take a 20% base salary cut I was eventually offered that job. I quit the job I had mistakenly taken after just 3 months. This led to a huge uproar withe the team boss shouting at me and calling me unprofessional. A full HR investigation etc etc. (Long story but I found out that guy was fired in October). Ultimately they let me leave without working any notice, angrily slamming the door behind me, and I started the other job a few weeks later. Best decision I made. Been in the new new job 8 months and I absolutely love it. They’ve already increased my base salary so that it’s the same as the previous role anyway. This was my bosses “reward for passing the 6 month probationary period”.
    Good luck, trust your subconscious I say!!

Master
    Absolutely spot on. I did spend weeks weighing everything up and I could make either seem like the right choice. Its really come down to gut and being able to look ahead positively once the decision is made.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Good news and good that you've taken a real informed decision on this one yourself.

Given your wife's previous comments, how has she taken to your decision?