closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko 8L35 accuracy

Craftsman

Seiko 8L35 accuracy

This is a high end calibre I understand. However, the watch I have with it is not as accurate as some of the lower spec. Seiko calibres (if you believe what others write) 9 to 10 secs. slow a day on the wrist or a winder is not impressive in my opinion. What experience do other owners have? Can it be improved? NB: It is still under warranty so maybe I should just go back to the dealer? Thanks

I have owned numerous watches with this movement and they can vary dramatically.
    From running spot on, to gaining a single second per day, up to about 10 seconds. Had one that was terrible, which gained over 30 seconds per day.

My last one ran at +2 sec/day, and my present one -1.5 sec/day.

Grand Master
    Be sure to check the rate against something reliable. I use a quartz watch, I don’t trust anything displayed by a computer or a phone.

I suggest you wear it and check what it’s doing on the wrist over a full day. Also check what it’s doing overnight dial-up. Forget readings from running on a winder.

Are you aure the watch is in a high state of wind?

It’s possible the watch needs regulating, it really needs putting on a timegrapher to see what’s going on.

Paul

Great to see you back, return it to be fixed.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    About +5sec a day for my mm300. Haven't messed about with positional variance, when I wear it, it's 24hrs a day. Happy enough with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Be sure to check the rate against something reliable. I use a quartz watch, I don’t trust anything displayed by a computer or a phone.
    Computers and phones are fine, as long as you're online and using time.is

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Computers and phones are fine, as long as you're online and using time.is
    This. The quartz piece could be well out.

firstly, you need to have a reliable reference..time.is

My experience with 8L...no better than or even worse than the 4R.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Assuming it's in a MM300 it's not the easiest to regulate as it's a one piece case and the movement is loaded from the front.

What do Seiko list as the variance of this movement, I would 10s is within stated tolerance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I have owned numerous watches with this movement and they can vary dramatically.
    From running spot on, to gaining a single second per day, up to about 10 seconds. Had one that was terrible, which gained over 30 seconds per day.

My last one ran at +2 sec/day, and my present one -1.5 sec/day.

30 secs on an 8L35 sounds like a problem rather than accuracy from the factory, magnetised potentially.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    This. The quartz piece could be well out.
    Very unlikely; over a period of 24-48hrs even a cheap quartz watch will be virtually spot-on.

I`ve had a couple of cases where folks have claimed a watch isn`t keeping good time only to find they've been checking against the clock readout on a computer!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Justed checked and Seiko state accuracy as +15/-10 for the 8L35

I've had two during the years. One was about +8-9sec/day the other +6 secs. These were brand new. Obviously these movement are capable of better performance, but they are unadjusted sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    30 secs on an 8L35 sounds like a problem rather than accuracy from the factory, magnetised potentially.
    It was sent back immediately

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    I've had two during the years. One was about +8-9sec/day the other +6 secs. These were brand new. Obviously these movement are capable of better performance, but they are unadjusted sadly.
    Totally agree with this. They seem to run spot on to whatever they are.
    Hence I was very reluctant to sell mine that ran around +1 sec/day, and another around -1.
    Just a shame they don’t adjust them before they leave the factory, so that everyone could enjoy great timekeeping

Craftsman
    Very unlikely; over a period of 24-48hrs even a cheap quartz watch will be virtually spot-on.

I`ve had a couple of cases where folks have claimed a watch isn`t keeping good time only to find they've been checking against the clock readout on a computer!
    Yes, but time.is is accurate, a computer clock or phone clock gets updates to keep it accurate so should not be used as a source. The time.is website will be more accurate and reliable than a quartz watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I use a radio controlled clock as a reference. Are they accurate enough?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Depends on how often it updates.

Say it updates twice a day and loses 5 seconds between updates (unlikely but possible).

Sat Nav time or internet time are probably better but again it depends on the device and how often it updates.

For most purposes a radio controlled clock is pretty accurate. I use mine, over a period of days, to check my watches.

Hope that helps.

Master
    What’s come out of this is I find my phone and computer’s time’s are not accurate?

I assumed my phone would be absolutely spot on! Well at least nowhere near off enough to think a mechanical Watch is more accurate.

Don’t they automatically check themselves? I’ve certainly never had to set the time manually on a phone for about the last 10 years!

Master

This ^. My Timex beater has lost less than 25 seconds since it was last adjusted for daylight saving in October approx 70 days ago, my previous beater, a £14 Casio would have been far better than that. Accurate enough for me to live my life by, and set my auto's.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Yes, but time.is is accurate, a computer clock or phone clock gets updates to keep it accurate so should not be used as a source. The time.is website will be more accurate and reliable than a quartz watch too.
    Agreed, using a website such as this makes sense, I tend to use my trusty quartz watch because it's always around on my desk (or wrist).

Paul

Craftsman

I suggest you wear it and check what it’s doing on the wrist over a full day. Also check what it’s doing overnight dial-up. Forget readings from running on a winder.

Are you aure the watch is in a high state of wind?

It’s possible the watch needs regulating, it really needs putting on a timegrapher to see what’s going on.

Paul
    Thanks - It makes no difference on the wrist or on the winder quite frankly. The bottom line is the watch is the least accurate of my collection yet has a calibre that is supposed to be close to up there with the best. All my other watches have Swiss calibres and the best is a Milgauss. Maybe I'll ring the AD (45 miles from home) and sound them out, but it looks like they will probably say it is within tolerance going by other comments here. I don't think the state of wind should make any difference on a quality automatic watch - it would be pretty poor if it did.

I use a nice little clock app on my iPhone that a Patek dealer put me onto. I'm happy with that as it always is in time with BBC radio pips.

Grand Master
    If the watch gives consistent figures on the winder or on the wrist that indicates the precision is good; if the dial-up figure is in agreement that’s further evidence.

For whatever reason, the watch hasn’t been regulated carefully enough and that’s easy to address.

The state of wind will affect it if it’s low, that’s a truism that applies to all mechanical watches. The laws of physics would need revising to address this issue, even Rolex can’t manage that although a free-sprung balance is generally better in this respect.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 9th January 2018 at 01:19.

My MM300 was +25 sec a day when I bought it, I was shocked to say the least and it almost went back to Seiko for regulation, that's said after a week of wearing the watch it eventually settled down to +5 and has remained so ever since.

I would send the watch back for a look in the first instance but it may settle down like mine did with wear. I should stress what I know about watch movements can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Master
    What about the atomic clock on Watch Tracker as a ref ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If the watch gives consistent figures on the winder or on the wrist that indicates the precision is good; if the dial-up figure is in agreement that’s further evidence.

For whatever reason, the watch hasn’t been regulated carefully enough and that’s easy to address.

The state of wind will affect it if it’s low, that’s a truism that applies to all mechanical watches. The laws of physics would need revising to address this issue, even Rolex can’t manage that although a free-sprung balance is generally better in this respect.

Paul
    Apologies, I meant, as in not fully wound and every state of power reserve down to the manufacturer's quoted duration without being wound by hand or automatically.

Grand Master
    Recently I tested my theory about the free-sprung balance having advantages in keeping the rate fairly constant as the amplitude drops. There are good reasons why it should do better than a conventional regulator but in practice I doubted it. Anyhow, I took my Explorer 1 from the watch box and gave it just enough power to get it running. Amplitude was around 150° and the rate dial-up was within a few seconds (approx. 5 from memory) of the fully wound figure. I continued to wind and check the amplitude; once it reached 200° the rate was virtually the same as fully wound (with amplitude over 290°, watch was serviced a few years ago).

This impressed me; I haven`t carried out a similar test on a chronometer rated ETA but I`d be amazed if it was anywhere near as good. The differences are academic provided the watch remains in a high state of wind but nonetheless, based on my limited observation, a watch with a free-sprung balance does appear to have an advantage.

Having said that, I much prefer conventional balances simply for the ease of adjustment! Regulating a Rolex or Omega Aqua Terra isn`t for the faint-hearted.

Back on topic, my advice is to run the watch a while and get some consistent figures. If it's still running around -10secs/day it's worth asking to have it regulated and ensure they know you want it to run 10 seconds faster. Hopefully the outcome will be satisfactory.

Despite having the advantage of fixing them myself I`m just as pissed off as everyone else when something's not right. Good luck in getting it sorted.

Paul

In spec seems to be -10 to 15+, which is quite a margin.

I’ve owned a few MM300’s, and I understand one of the ones I owned was well outside spec. The last full set one I bought again from the forum appears to only just be inside spec against a rough timeis check.

It seems a shame that little effort appears to be put into regulating what is supposed to be a movement capable of very good accuracy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

It seems a shame that little effort appears to be put into regulating what is supposed to be a movement capable of very good accuracy.
    +1........you’ve hit the nail on the head! Same applies to the cheaper Seikos, often they’re not regulated well and every one I’ve come across has been out of beat to an extent that suggests poor quality control.

Paul

+1........you’ve hit the nail on the head! Same applies to the cheaper Seikos, often they’re not regulated well and every one I’ve come across has been out of beat to an extent that suggests poor quality control.

Paul

A lot of people online state their cheaper Seiko watches keep good time, but I haven’t seen one being that accurate within the ownership of friends.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    A lot of people online state their cheaper Seiko watches keep good time, but I haven’t seen one being that accurate within the ownership of friends.
    Having had a seiko sarg for 3 weeks, I am very pleased with the time keeping of 7-8 seconds loss in 3 days. My damasko da36 set at the same time, has lost 14-15 seconds.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I actually bought a Seiko on the back of that supposed forum truism. The one that goes: despite official stated variations along the lines of +/- 25 secs or whatever, "they are much more accurate than that. Seiko are just being typically safe. My one runs better than my Rolex, etc."

It runs -25 seconds a day in whichever position it's in, worn or unworn. Yes it's consistency is magnificent but it's adjustment isn't satisfactory for me. Yet it's within the tolerance so I can't really complain can I?

Had my SLA017 for six months now, and it’s just over 4 seconds a day fast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    I actually bought a Seiko on the back of that supposed forum truism. The one that goes: despite official stated variations along the lines of +/- 25 secs or whatever, "they are much more accurate than that. Seiko are just being typically safe. My one runs better than my Rolex, etc."

It runs -25 seconds a day in whichever position it's in, worn or unworn. Yes it's consistency is magnificent but it's adjustment isn't satisfactory for me. Yet it's within the tolerance so I can't really complain can I?
    Just get it regulated, then concerns over being on the outer limit of its specs can be dispensed with.

Journeyman
    Just get it regulated, then concerns over being on the outer limit of its specs can be dispensed with.
    Can I send it to Seiko for this or would it have to be an independent?

Master
    If still in warranty, best use Seiko to maintain it – that said, a good independent should be able to do it and check WR, without showing signs of having had the case back off.
    Make some enquiries, then you'll know which option is the better.

Master
    My SBDX017 is about -8 seconds a day I think; not great. My old SBDX001 was no more than 2 seconds a day fast

Craftsman
    If still in warranty, best use Seiko to maintain it – that said, a good independent should be able to do it and check WR, without showing signs of having had the case back off.
    Make some enquiries, then you'll know which option is the better.
    If an independent removes the caseback from a MM300, I think Seiko will notice. The new welding it back on to the case will be the most obvious giveaway!

Master
    Ah, a frontal assault is required then – yes, I suppose that would be a bit of a tell then.
    Shows how much details about the MM300s I've absorbed, doesn't it?

Craftsman
    Ah, a frontal assault is required then – yes, I suppose that would be a bit of a tell then.
    Shows how much details about the MM300s I've absorbed, doesn't it?
    Just to clarify in my case - the watch is an SLA017

I dropped my SLA017 on a hotel bathroom floor and it went from +4 to about -1 second per day.

Any idea how to make it run “fast” again? Thanks.

Journeyman
    Throw it at the ceiling?

Sorry.

Changed time zone on Monday morning and it is only +1 sec since!

Great stuff.

Seiko 8L35 accuracy

Owned about 3 in the past with number 4 untouched in box. Hate how accurate they are. My first ever GS run at +1 over 7 months.
    Last edited by Toshk; 19th April 2018 at 20:38.

+2 seconds since the morning of April 16th!!

Don’t believe my eyes. Maybe time.is shows wrong :)

Getting better! Now +1 over 18 days!

Best mechanical watch I have ever owned.

A month since last reset, SLA017 is 4 seconds slow. Not bad at all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    A month since last reset, SLA017 is 4 seconds slow. Not bad at all.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'Reset'? I would love mine to be that good!

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I dropped my SLA017 on a hotel bathroom floor and it went from +4 to about -1 second per day.

Any idea how to make it run “fast” again? Thanks.
    So you're saying that if I want my watch to be more accurate I should drop it on a bathroom floor?!

Seems a wee bit drastic...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'Reset'? I would love mine to be that good!
    Since I last changed the time (zone) and synced it with time.is

over the month, my mm300 gains around 10 seconds, so pretty bang on.