closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches you wanted until....

Master

Watches you wanted until....

I was sure I wanted a Rolex explorer 2 polar as my next watch and tried it on 2 times over the last two years but didn’t pull the trigger even though my wife encouraged me to both times. I was still convinced it was my next watch.
    - different from anything else I own
    - a less ‘look at me’ watch due to the design of it
    - sporty in design

Then I read on hear about the Tudor Pelagos. Researched the in house movement and the watch and tried it on thinking I was simply ruling it out... turns out it was perfect for me and offered more than the Rolex...
    - longer power reserve so can take it off on Friday and it’s still running Monday morning
    - titanium colour is really under the radar and less blingy than steel and te whole watch is brushed so even more under the radar.
    - epic lume
    - really nice clasp design
    - lowly sporty design and different colour (blue) from anything else I have
    So two years of thinking the Rolex explorer was my next watch and one thread on here and 1 week later that was not the case.

Have others had similar experiences?

Craftsman
    Explorer I (the new 39mm size anyway).
    Tudor BB (although I could have been swayed by an ETA movement (no concave back which I knew would bother me) and a discount:I suppose if I wanted a discount from the nice young lady then I wasn't really that enamoured of it.
    My guess is that dozens of people here will have had similar experiences.

About 15-20 years ago I wanted a tag Monaco ,once I tried it on it looked so wrong,never tried a square watch on since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Loads, all watches that turned out to be too bulky. Jaeger LeCoultre deep sea tribute, iwc Portuguese 7 days, rolex gmt...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I had always wanted a Daytona and recently the ceramic version.
    Last week I tried the gold ceramic version on the rubber strap and also the two tone versions, they just didn't hit the spot. I think I am used to bigger watches now and these just felt too small.
    I had to get it out of my system and I am really glad I did, it has saved me a fortune.
    The only thing is I am now not sure what the next watch is a must have for me!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thought this about Panerai 44mm until I actually went to an AD and tried a bunch on - found my grail then promptly bought one!

Same, wanted a Rolex Explorer or Sub no date.

Just looks wrong on my wrist, too shiny.

Tudor pelagos, is understated, under radar and quality. I have a thing that I like about titanium and this watch does it for me.

Craftsman
    I did end up with the Polar and the blue Pelagos though they are probably the two I wear most.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always wanted a Daytona.
    Then I tried it on.
    Looking at the way prices have gone, I should probably have bought it anyway!

Journeyman
    For me it was the Daytona as well. Lusted after one for years, after buying an Omega Seamaster Chronometer Chronograph in 1996. Decided it was the only Rolex for me. Steel: tick. Chronograph: tick. Chronometer: tick. It was only a matter of time and saving.

A few years ago my brother - previously not at all interested in watches - bought a Daytona and a Milgauss over an extended period. When he next visited, he brought both watches (aware of my interest) and I tried on the Daytona, convinced that I was about to see my ‘dream watch’ in place, where it belonged.

Hated it.

Reverso, just looks wrong on me
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I did end up with the Polar and the blue Pelagos though they are probably the two I wear most.

I do think I will add explorer 2 polar in the future as my white dial option. Just for additional diversity in my collection.

Master
    Platona - UNTIL I realised I couldn’t afford one

Apologies for highjacking your post, I asked a similar question back here...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=407565

Master
    Ceramic Submariner; I actually bought one, but that blockish, square look caused by the thick lugs was too much for me, as was the maxi dial look. Not for me. Most , but not all, Rolex models have got steadily more unattractive to me as they seek a new audience.

Blog Entries
    Well similar, but I still want the Explorer 2 polar. Have one on order and haven't seen anything to stop me....... yet.............

Master
    Ceramic sub but it was too small and too blingy and guess what i ended up with...a Rolex Polar 216570 just goes to show it's best if we don't all like the same thing.

I thought the 40mm blancpain fifty fathoms was my dream watch and really thought it would be perfect on my small wrists. I got the opportunity to try it on and it looked so small I was actually disappointed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always wanted a IWC MKXI then I tried on a IWC MKXVIII tribute I like it so much I’ve lost the itch.

It’s a bit like when I saw Peter Hook he and wished I had seen a tribute band instead or is it?

Loved (and still do) the look, design, and general feel of the Tudor North Flag. Tried it on and would have one if it was not so thick, other than that it was pretty perfect, I even loved the sporty yellow/black strap!

Craftsman
    IWC Pilot’s Watch Chronograph, just loved the dial layout and the touch of red the last 2 marks have...

Tried one on and went: "Thats a bit thick...". End of love affair...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    ...I wanted a tag Monaco ,once I tried it on it looked so wrong...
    Same here - I love the watch - but it just wore too big on my 7.25" wrist

Also had a 45mm PO & could never get it comfortable - bracelet, rubber, NATO - so in the end I traded it.

z

Master
    Nautilus, until I saw one in the flesh. Way too garish for my liking.

Craftsman
    Rolex Explorer 2 42mm black dial.

Read so much bad press about them thought I would try one and agree with everyone.

Anyway tried one on and loved the size and the fact it didn't feel top heavy.

Also thought I wouldnt like the steel bezel but I love it.

Bought one there and then and wear it most days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Rolex Explorer 2 42mm black dial.

Read so much bad press about them thought I would try one and agree with everyone.

Anyway tried one on and loved the size and the fact it didn't feel top heavy.

Also thought I wouldnt like the steel bezel but I love it.

Bought one there and then and wear it most days.
    Oh dear wrong way round too much wine with lunch.

Apologies

Master
    After seeing so many stunning pictures of the Patek Aquanaut on the forum I lusted after
    one for many years. And when I finally got to see one in the flesh it’s quality could not be faulted,
    but it just left me feeling deflated because I wanted it to look as good as it did in the pictures.

Craftsman
    Tudor black bay for me. Love everything about it but every time I try it on I can't get over the height on the wrists. Feels like a slab.

Master
    Daytona for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Reverso, just looks wrong on me
    Ditto, I love how they look in pictures (and even on other people), but when I tried one on, all thoughts of buying one were gone. I guess they're just too "formal" somehow for me to carry off - it would be fine with a very smart suit or dinner jacket, but I very rarely wear one of those. I own plenty of theoretical "dress" watches though, that I wear with casual clothing and have no problem with doing that - the Reverso was different somehow for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    After seeing so many stunning pictures of the Patek Aquanaut on the forum I lusted after
    one for many years. And when I finally got to see one in the flesh it’s quality could not be faulted,
    but it just left me feeling deflated because I wanted it to look as good as it did in the pictures.
    Agree with that! cracking in pictures, even more stunning in hand but did nothing on the wrist!

Tudor Black Bay - lusted after them since th first one came out. Looks at pictures for ages, eventually tried one on, Just felt unsubstantial and didn’t like the case. Ended up with a Tag Aquaracer chrono and love it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was all set to buy an IWC 3231 vintage aquatimer and agreed a price over the phone with the dealer. I arrived and saw it in the display case and was in love with it.

Strapped it on my wrist and it looked ridiculous. Way too big for my chicken wrists.

Still a great watch though if you're listening IWC make a 40mm version :)

Explorer II - always looks more exciting online than on my wrist!!

The big disappointment and instant flip for me was the Smiths Everest. I had wanted one for a while, but the minute I put it on my wrist it had to go. Looks great in photos, but it just wasnt for me.

Pelagos LHD for me. Drove an hour to Bluewater to try it on after checking they had it and it wasn’t for me at all. Last year I bought a Black Bay Black and sold it after 2 weeks as that also wasn’t for me but now I think I’m going to buy it again after seeing it on a brown strap but I’m waiting for SIHH as I really want one with a date.

Here’s my Polar Explorer 2. Bought it as an “anti-Sub” but I tend to only wear it in summer due to the white dial and I think that’s a waste of a watch at this money.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Really liked the look of the omega seamaster 300 master coaxial as it didn't have the omega lug style that I hate.. wanted one, ordered it in, tried it and hated it. Felt flimsy with foul bezel action.

Also a 5 minute interest in a Daytona until trying one. Ugh.

Master
    Had a Pelagos for a while and loved everything about it but after a couple of weeks had to begrudgingly admit it was too big for me. 40mm and it would be my go-to watch.

Before selling it I briefly had the idea of fitting a bezel insert from a Pelagos Blue if I could get one - I wonder if anyone's already done that.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    About 15-20 years ago I wanted a tag Monaco ,once I tried it on it looked so wrong,never tried a square watch on since
    Yep echo this - did exactly the same!

Same with Tudor BB's too - really really felt that I should like them, but then tried a couple out and just didn't feel it.

Master

Watches you wanted until....

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    IWC Pilot’s Watch Chronograph, just loved the dial layout and the touch of red the last 2 marks have...

Tried one on and went: "Thats a bit thick...". End of love affair...
    Ditto tried it on twice and it looks silly on my below average wrists, even though the 42mm polar exp 2 looks fine. Must be the thickness.

Craftsman
    remember being completely underwhelmed the first time i tried a sub on, also was recently keen on an IWC mkXVIII that was extremely uncomfortable when I actually tried it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Loads, all watches that turned out to be too bulky. Jaeger LeCoultre deep sea tribute, iwc Portuguese 7 days, rolex gmt...

Rolex GMT too bulky?

That’s a new one on me!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Rolex GMT too bulky?

That’s a new one on me!
    Compared to the pre-ceramic GMTs that were less bulbous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Have to agree with this, I felt the same about the JLC deep sea tribute, and if I listed the number of watches I liked until I realised they were 42mm we’d be here all day! To which you could add plenty of 34mm and under vintage watches too...

Craftsman
    Also had this experience.

After finishing a large project, I decided to spend some of the “well-gotten” gains on a watch. To be specific, this one:

When I came close to buying it though, I saw (and fondled) this:

End of story . . .

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) SS beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence SS; Glashütte Original Panoreserve SS; bated breath for arrival of Stowa Flieger.
    Need more . . . .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Also had this experience.

After finishing a large project, I decided to spend some of the “well-gotten” gains on a watch. To be specific, this one:

When I came close to buying it though, I saw (and fondled) this:

End of story . . .
    Wow, that's the right way round to do it! I lusted after a Lange 1, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much ... went for a Panoreserve instead, and while I'm very happy with it, it hasn't fully scratched the Lange itch unfortunately!

Master
    Was convinced that a Blue dialled Rolex Yachtmaster was going to be my next big purchase.... took a trip to the AD, yuck, didn’t like it one bit...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Agreed, one of the least bulky sports watches out there!
    IT's the new case shape. A lot of people think it is bulky. I'd love a BLNR if it were not for the fatter case.

Master
    Ordered a Heuer Carrera from Iconic. Went to collect it, came home with a Daytona that’s now worth £2k more than I paid.....

The Carrera would have lost about £1k, so my manmaths says I’m £3k up on that deal.....with the added bonus that I have a nice Daytona to wear..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGarton View Post
    Wow, that's the right way round to do it! I lusted after a Lange 1, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much ... went for a Panoreserve instead, and while I'm very happy with it, it hasn't fully scratched the Lange itch unfortunately!

Luckily for me, that experience scratched my ALS itch. I was astonished how good the GO looked and felt, even when placed right next to the Große 1. And that (admittedly in steel) for only about a quarter as many of her Majesty’s pounds.
    Not only did I buy the GO, I became a GO groupie (have since bought two more), and decided that (unless I suddenly develop an urge for esoteric complications) I can probably meet all my quality and beauty expectations without spending five figures on any piece!

Rolex Milgauss. Think they always look great in the pics and always wanted one. I mentioned to a watch nut work colleague that I thought it would be my next watch. He said he has one he never wears (this guy has a lot of watches) and offered to lend it to me with a view to buying off him. Can’t really put my finger on why but just didn’t like it on my wrist and had no trouble giving it back.