closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florence - Recommendations, thoughts, etc....

Blog Entries

Florence - Recommendations, thoughts, etc....

Here goes chaps, its that time of year to sort the European city break.

Fantastic advise on previous Italian trips to Rome, Napoli and Venice so hoping all who have experienced will chip in, Franco included.

Have searched back and some great info already posted up in the past but always nice to get some recent views. Also thinking of taking in Pisa and any other nearby places of interest that folk may have been to and recommend.

Many thanks

Pitch

Pisa worth seeing but you'll need no more than a day and you can take the train. It's been a while since I visited Florence but the key tourist spots are obviously worth a look. And you have to pop in to see David 😊

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Pam boutique and di Stefano

Craftsman

Florence - Recommendations, thoughts, etc....

There can be serious queues for the Uffizi and the Accademia (for David). Best advice is to buy timed tickets in advance- you can do that on line.
    I’d advise against trying to do both on the same day- especially if you want to fit in a decent lunch (and why wouldn’t you....)

Have a look at Lucca - a lovely town in easy reach of Florence, Pisa and perhaps Siena, but much quieter.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Pam boutique and di Stefano
    It’s a shame they did away with the museum upstairs in the PAM boutique. There’s also a great Panerai selection in the Four Seasons hotel.

I collected my Di Stefano in person from the family house and they were kind enough to invite me in for about half an hour. Lovely family and gorgeous house.

Non watch related, Florence possibly has the best ice cream parlours in Italy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Have a look at Lucca - a lovely town in easy reach of Florence, Pisa and perhaps Siena, but much quieter.

^^^ this ^^^ there’s a great music festival in Lucca every summer. Worth checking out.

What amazes me when I drive into these towns is the accessability of the parkings near the Points of Interest. You can park your car in Pisa within 150 yrds of the tower.

Another great little town is Arezzo. Italia’s Gold Town. Very beautiful.

Don’t go in the midst of summer. Too hot! Too crowded.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 5th January 2018 at 00:52.

Piero della Francesco murals in borgo san sepulcro. Some of my favourite paintings ever. Well worth the detour.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Day trip or half-day trip to Siena is well worth it (watch Quantum of Solace for a taste). In Florence a visit to the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella is a joy and a place to pick up perfume, soaps and other smellies. In the Mercato Nuovo the silk ties and scaves are incredibly cheap for the quality, and don't forget to give the bronze statue of the wild boar's snout a rub for good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

Lucca has a regular Antiques Market. Maybe worth a look for any watches...?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Day trip or half-day trip to Siena is well worth it (watch Quantum of Solace for a taste). In Florence a visit to the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella is a joy and a place to pick up perfume, soaps and other smellies. In the Mercato Nuovo the silk ties and scaves are incredibly cheap for the quality, and don't forget to give the bronze statue of the wild boar's snout a rub for good luck.
    Plus the Palio if you are there early July or mid August.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Second that. Really enjoyed our day trip there and as a footy fan, I managed to get in to the AS Siena abandoned football ground. But surreal.

We really enjoyed Florence. I also went to a Fiorentina game and the backdrop in the ground was beautiful.

Try to visit the Vasari Corridor, part of the Uffizi but has to be prearranged. Hard to describe but a real treat.

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/mus...vasariano.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    And you have to pop in to see David 
    Unless I've popped out for a pint of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Unless I've popped out for a pint of milk.
    OP should call ahead...apparently David is unreliable 🙄😂

Blog Entries
    We went last Summer, only had 1 day in Florence but with the kids (and on foot in the heat) that was enough. The views from Plaza de Michangelo were amazing and well worth the climb. We were based nr Lucca so did Pisa, Lucca, Florence etc. Took the train from Lucca to Florence as even the locals recommended that you didn't drive there.

A few years ago I stayed on the coast in a place called vioraggio,probably spelt wrong, but you’ve got best of both as it’s got a beach and easy to get to all the towns ,lucca,Pisa and Florence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    A few years ago I stayed on the coast in a place called vioraggio,probably spelt wrong, but you’ve got best of both as it’s got a beach and easy to get to all the towns ,lucca,Pisa and Florence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ....and an hour and a half on the train to Forte dei Marmi - very classy town on the beach.

I go there for work a few times a year.

If you can fly to Florence as Pisa is a couple of hours on the train away.

My favourite restaurant there is

Club Culinario Toscano da Osvaldo

Firenze, Piazza dei Peruzzi 3/r - tel. 055217919

http://www.clubosvaldo.com/

Also good are

http://www.cucinatorcicoda.com/ristorante-firenze/

Or go here, so can eat outside.

http://www.lortone.it/en/

You can't really go wrong food wise but I thought these would help.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It been that long ago when we went, you could walk up to David and touch him, have to say the statue is breath taking, and Florence aint bad. Enjoy.

Craftsman
    Get a Firenze Card for discounts on entrance prices.

www.firenzeturismo.it downloads for maps etc: link. Or you may prefer the FirenzeTurismo app on on iOS or Google Play.

Blog Entries
    Many many thanks chaps and will catch up on these tomorrow, been a busy end to the week.

Paul

Don’t discount the option of flying to Milan and then getting the train to Florence. It takes under 2hours. I used to do that a lot for work, and the real bonus was that they have proper dining cars on the train, so could enjoy a leisurely breakfast as you pass through some pretty countryside.

Make sure you climb the Duomo. The view is spectacular and it makes you realise what an incredible feat of engineering it really is.

Blog Entries
    Little 'off track': a trip to Venice in September, October. Take the plane to the Marco Polo airport and have yourself transported on board of a fast, wooden (Riva-like) speedboat/water taxi to a hotel on Murano or Burano, just opposite of the town. For the ultimate James Bond experience!

When you want to go go Venice itself, make use of the Vaporetto's; the 'steamers' that will bring you to Venice itself. Just make sure you/ve watched all Bond movies located in and around of Venice - and notice how all is beautifully restored these days.

Menno

Blog Entries
    Thinking on further the flights are working better into Pisa so we are considering flying into Pisa for a couple of days and then going onto Florence for three days.

Is this something others have done???? Its then deciding flying, taxi or train to Florence and back to Pisa

Many thanks chaps

Paul

If you’re flying into Pisa, don’t bother staying in Pisa. There are only 3 things to see there (and they are all within 200m of each other).

As has already been suggested, fly into Pisa then stay in the centre of Lucca. Ideally on Piazza Anfiteatro. (It’s only 30 mins by car or a train ride away).

Then day trip it into Firenze (by train) or Cinque Terra (also by train).

It depends if you just want a holiday in Italy or a holiday in Florence.

The tower of Pisa is good and probably worth a day trip but Pisa is not Florence and once you have seen Florence you will want to have your time there.

If you have to fly into Pisa then I would get the train to Florence and figure that into your plans rather than stay somewhere that whilst interesting only really has a badly constructed tower to interest you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Thinking on further the flights are working better into Pisa so we are considering flying into Pisa for a couple of days and then going onto Florence for three days.

Is this something others have done???? Its then deciding flying, taxi or train to Florence and back to Pisa

Many thanks chaps

Paul
    Last time we were there, we flew into Pisa and caught a direct coach to Florence. At that time ( two years ago) there was no train connection from Pisa airport, you had to get a bus to the Pisa station, but the coach was fast, frequent, and not very dear. It may have changed since..

Definitely not worth spending more than a day in Pisa to be honest - wouldn't even stay overnight myself.

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Last time we were there, we flew into Pisa and caught a direct coach to Florence. At that time ( two years ago) there was no train connection from Pisa airport, you had to get a bus to the Pisa station, but the coach was fast, frequent, and not very dear. It may have changed since..
    There is now the Pisa Mover which is a direct connection from the airport to Pisa Centrale. You can buy your ticket at the Pisa Mover so don’t need to buy at the airport. You can then get the train to Florence which is regular too.

I can’t remember the costs but if anyone needs them I can dig them out as would have been on my expenses claim.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Yes, just to echo the comments re: Pisa - not worth staying overnight. We were based in Lucca, which is much nicer, for a week and did Pisa twice; both times for a couple of hours only and the second time simply because it was so easy to access and park etc, we thought we might experience it again when it was a bit quieter. Florence was a delight and TBH could have spent much more than the single day we had there......

All easily accessible by train from Lucca. Pisa is about 30-40mins and Florence is just over an hour from memory.

Blog Entries
    Well not many weeks away now and thanks to all for your thoughts.

Big, big thank you to Franco, it was an absolute pleasure to spend an hour on the phone a few weeks ago.

We are flying BA nice class into Pisa, staying a night before heading to what looks like an absolutely gorgeous apartment with a roof terrace overlooking the city.

Any further recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards Panerai, has any popped there PAM into the store for a service. My 312 could do with a once over and it would work really well if they do this.

many thanks

Pitch

I went back on Oct with my wife and toddler. We flew business with BA also and on the flight I spotted a yellow gold sky dweller

Florence is beautiful and you will without doubt have a wonderful time. I know some friends in Florence and they pointed us to a few things.

I echo the advice that if you are to visit any of the museums buy your tickets online and collect the tickets. Saves the enormous queues. David really is stunning.

One thing that I really would recommend is a trip to the Basilica Santo Spirito which is just south of the river but only 10 minutes walk or so once you cross the Ponte Vecchio (on which you will see a few watch shops, but don't let that sway you). The church is slightly out of the crowded areas so nice and quiet and is on a lovely square with a few restaurants that you can enjoy the piece and quiet in. But the church itself is considered to be one of the most beautiful ever made (on the inside - it's pretty plain on the outside) and was a real highlight of my trip. It has a beautiful courtyard / cloisters that is quiet and filled with a lovely garden and a nice place for 20 minutes peace and quiet and houses monuments to the dead. The church also houses an absolutely stunning Michelangelo sculpture that he did when he was 18 years old. Completed in 1492.

Whether you are religious or not, this church is a special place.

Enjoy the trip.

We were there a couple of years ago and used Terravision to get from Pisa airport to Florence, it takes about an hour and is cheap as chips. Don't miss the Mercato Centrale for some lunch and beers, it's fantastic.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Florence? Unless you like lots and lots and lots of tourists, don't go.

It's not as bad as Venice - nowhere is - but it ain't good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Florence? Unless you like lots and lots and lots of tourists, don't go.

It's not as bad as Venice - nowhere is - but it ain't good.
    That’s really helpful Tinker, thank you for taking the time to post. I really didn’t expect this in Florence or any other major city in the world. I will check BA’s refund policy and hopefully attempt to recover some of the money already out laid.

Many thanks again, life saver.

Pitch

I was there twice over the years, both long weekends. It's a beautiful city, breathtaking architecture, nice and friendly people, just perfect for a (romantic) getaway. Plenty of great restaurants, too.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The staircase in the Laurentian library. Hard to credit from a staircase, but there's a peace and inner calm that comes from looking at something so elegant and so perfectly proportioned.

I’ve been!
    Tbh not my favourite As recently come back from Bologna which I prefer along with Milan and Siena
    But it does have some great architecture
    Also wouldn’t bother with Pisa again, though the tower really does defy belief when you see it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    That’s really helpful Tinker, thank you for taking the time to post. I really didn’t expect this in Florence or any other major city in the world. I will check BA’s refund policy and hopefully attempt to recover some of the money already out laid.

Many thanks again, life saver.

Pitch
    So, you buy a ticket to somewhere and then ask about it.

Wrong order, chuck, wrong order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    So, you buy a ticket to somewhere and then ask about it.

Wrong order, chuck, wrong order.
    Just read my thread from the start.

4/1 - thoughts please
    6/1 - lots of lovely feedback from the TZ faithful, so my thanks.
    8/2 - wonderful conversation with Franco had so confirmed all booked.

Why the wrong order??????

Anyway, plans changed, we are spending a few days in a field in lovely Suffolk free from fantastic art, architecture, fine food and vino. Oh and lots and lots of tourists...

Many thanks Tinker, cracking contribution, you are a life saver......... again
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 10th March 2018 at 00:12.

Master
    I'm not sure how sarcastic you're being, Pitch, but my remarks about Florence were sincere. It's not as difficult to visit as Venice, but it can be hard work and I don't go on holiday for that.

I like Italy very much, indeed, but parts of it are difficult now, not only because of the tourists, but also because of the illegal immigrants, of whom Florence has a lot.

(I'm not unsympathetic to the 'illegals'. I was one myself once.)

So, given the choice between Florence and Suffolk, I'd take the latter (and did last year). That said, there's much more to Italy than Florence: places just as beautiful, but where the queues, if any, are much shorter.

Blog Entries
    A little off-side, but Lucca has been mentioned above... Apart from the most wonderful ice cream parlour ('Gelatarium Lucca') I've ever seen, there's also the Summer Festival. Now the 21th edition. You can find it here:
    http://www.summer-festival.com/home

Master
    One of Hirsch's artisanal leathers is 'Lucca' and if you travel by train from Pisa to Florence you pass by the tanneries, which - in summer - you can smell.

Craftsman
    We went to Florence for a few days the year before last. Beautiful place. Plenty of things to see and do. Statues everywhere. Plenty of photo opportunities. This was my favourite.

Blog Entries
    ... and then there's the town of Arezzo. With the most beautiful town square you can imagine! Arezzo is known as Italy's 'gold town'; supposedly, the country's gold reserve is stored in Arezzo. We found that out when a taxi driver took us from Figline to Arezzo, because our Volvo had broken down (jammed auto/box - don't ask). On the way to Arezzo, the taxi was pulled over by heavily armoured Carabinieri and we had to wait for a heavy armoured truck + armoured Carabinieri cars to pass us. Like we were part of a mafia movie!

The town is beautifully restored and no cars are allowed inside the city centre, that takes you back in time when you walk up and down the steep streets and alleys.

Mind you, like in Spain, a lot of shops etc are closed in the afternoon and re-open around 5PM.

Pic is from the internet. But it shows something remarkable. I had my coffee under the shades on the left of the pic. With her back against the wall of the 'taverna', there was this old lady preparing gnocchi for lunch. Totally 'in sync' with the image I had in my head of how Italy would look like!

About parking in the old towns: Pisa (as mentioned) is fantastic, parking-wise. There's enough space within minutes from the Tower. Florence is something else: you are not allowed to drive into the town. Plenty of parking, but situated scattered around the city centre, blended into the existing infrastructure. Be sure that you're aware of your position on the map when you get out of your car; it's not easy to find your car back. We helped a few older American tourists, who were totally lost. Given the left-right-left etc of the small streets, it's easy to get lost. Sort of architectural maze!
    Lucca is very, very easy to park. Tons of space outside the city wall. And what's brilliant: the cars are parked under a canopy with solar panels on top; thus providing power to the electric car chargers at both ends of the canopies.

I mentioned Figline (Valdarno); for those of you who like wine. It might be interesting to know that British pop icon Sting owns a vineyard in Figline. You can visit his is vineyard: http://www.il-palagio.com

And also in Tuscany (NW of Arezzo) the Prada outlet... perhaps worth an interesting trip according to family members?
    Last edited by thieuster; 13th March 2018 at 23:15.

Blog Entries
    Well what a fantastic place and big thanks to Franco once again, your city is stunning.

We flew BA into Pisa where we spent last Sunday and I actually thought the place was quite nice and the Tower is just something else. We stayed the night here:

http://www.hotelbolognapisa.com/index.htm

We had their classic suite which we needed to fit us all in. Great place, staff so helpful and they picked us from the airport and took us to the train station for our journey to Stazione S.M.N. on Monday morning all included.

Trained to Firenze and heck we have a thing to learn.... 48min journey and I saw a fella three times walk through our carriage sweeping and cleaning, the train was absolutely spotless. Fast, smooth and quiet.....

So, Firenze

Mrs P booked us an apartment in the Santa Croce district and it was absolutely fantastic. With the last one at home (15yo son) apartments have worked so well with the extra space and bedrooms over hotels.

http://forte16.inwya.com

The place is pretty new, spotless and the staff were great, a reception was manned 24hrs. Spa on the ground floor was great and the roof terrace is something else. I cannot recommend this place enough.

The walk into town was 15mins along pedestrian streets lined with shops, cafes, bars and great restaurants, a really local feel and free from flocks of tourists and students, very quiet.

Yes, like any European city of interest it will be busy, but a couple of streets back from the bustle and Florence is tranquil and quiet. Parts south of the river where we walked on Thursday were as silent as Venice with some wonderful little cafes to grab a sneaky coffee or vino. We found the same in Venice, move with the crowds and it is just horrible, but explore and crikey the place changes.

No need to go into detail, but the obvious were simple stunning. To see the masterpieces in the flesh was beyond 'wow'. Highlights.... David was MUCH bigger than I ever expected and detail just mind blowing, how the hell did a 26yo do that.... The Birth of Venus, Doni Tondo, Adoration of the Magi, Annunciation were for someone who does not really appreciate art just breath taking.

II Duomo di Firenze....well... I just kept shaking my head, St Paul's is 250 years newer and is just tiny in comparison. For me, it surpassed the Pantheon for sheer wow.

Day trip to Siena was just lovely and me and the boy relived a couple of QoS scenes which Mrs P firmed and continued to roll her eyes at. The Campo again just blew me away.

Food... Best food was had at:

http://www.daqueiganzi.it/?utm_sourc...edium=referral - Pasta and lamb were beyond amazing.
    http://www.levespecafe.com/?utm_sour...edium=referral - Fantastic Italian twist uk Anglo American breakie.
    http://www.baldovinobistrot.com - Fried Pizza at long last, had to try it
    http://www.lortone.it/en/ - the best, simple the best..... we had just the biggest Bistecca which takes the best steak crown now.

Transport in general - If you are thinking of a trip do check out BA. We were cheaper Club Europe Gatwick to Pisa then it would have been City to Florence and BrianAir. The lounges are a really nice place to spend a few hours and do make the trip a great deal more pleasant, god knows how much Monopole we got through, before the grub gin and crisps...

All in all Firenze, for me pipped, Napoli, Sorento, Capri, possibly Rome, just and Venice only just nips it by a whisker.

Thanks again to all for your recommendations

Ciao

Pitch

How did you find the language? Can you get by on a phrase book Italian? Not done Italy and your approach would suit us with 2 kids as we usually do cottage/ villa type thing rather than hotels.