closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wish list?

Craftsman

Wish list?

Being relatively new to watch collecting I'm intrigued to hear how people approach building a collection or adding the next watch to it.

In my head I have a wish list of particular watches I want to add to my collection rather than particular styles. Obviously finances are the main constraint but that makes it all the sweeter when I eventually do get them.

In my case, and in no particular order I have my eye on:

Seiko SKX009 on bracelet
    Dan Henry 1970 40mm
    Oris Artix
    Magrette - not sure on which particular one as I like a lot of them.
    Scurfa Bell Diver 1 Auto

Is anyone else the same or do you target a style of watch then narrow it down from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I think I usually add specific watches to my wishlist. However, in the case of some vintage watches (e.g. Curvex-style) I tend to make a note of a style, although I might narrow it down to specific manufacturers or models later.

I find that my wishlist grows more quickly than I can tick items off of it. ;-)

Craftsman
    Still new to “collecting” too, own 3 but would class it as a collection as such.

For me I would like to own various styles. I have a nice chronograph and 2 dive watches currently. Looking at a GMT, Military and dress watch next.

In terms of brands, the forum has been a great wealth of knowledge introducing me to many brands I either hadn’t heard of or had never considered.

That being said, I still was going to buy another diver in the CW sale and very easily swayed away with what I would ideally want to buy next.

If all goes to plan then the Ones I am looking into are

Steinhart Ocean 1 vintage dual time
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Tissot LeLocle

Vintage Omega Big Blue
    Plo Prof ceramic
    Breitling Emergency (orange dial) E76321
    Rolex BLRO

Then that's it! ...

Glashutte original panomaticlunar - that's only thing I'm lusting after right now

Craftsman
    I'm after a few.

GO panomaticlunar
    GO panomaticinverse
    Patek aquanaut
    Patek nautilus
    Rolex blnr
    Rolex Lv
    Rolex skydweller
    Rolex Daytona
    Rolex deep sea
    Rolex sea dweller

All stainless steel models. I'm on a few lists and simply can't get on others.

Craftsman
    Used Audemars Piguet Royal Oak and a Rolex LV for me...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Glashutte original panomaticlunar - that's only thing I'm lusting after right now

Just been looking at those on Chrono24 - that and the panoinverse

Craftsman
    I like to have a range of styles for different occasions...

Wishlist DeepSea D-Blue
    Patek Nautilus

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    I'm after a few.

GO panomaticlunar
    GO panomaticinverse
    Patek aquanaut
    Patek nautilus
    Rolex blnr
    Rolex Lv
    Rolex skydweller
    Rolex Daytona
    Rolex deep sea
    Rolex sea dweller

All stainless steel models. I'm on a few lists and simply can't get on others.
    You gonna buy all of them?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    wow - whats that value then...?!?!?

Craftsman
    im on the rolex deepsea hit list still
    bought two last year , a sub and a gmt and just bought a CHEAP citizen as a beater but still fancy a ginault but keep missing em on here

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rolex Pepsi GMT
    Longines Big Indian
    Vintage B-Uhr

I was thinking that, imagine getting a call saying they have all arrived. I would need to sell the house.

Wish list: none

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope.
    I've found that a wish list invariably leads to disappointment and the watches that have given me the most enjoyment are the ones that have been completely unplanned and not even on the radar before seeing them physically.

Craftsman
    Given the opportunity, yes.

Getting them is proving tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

Same here! Given that a Lange 1 is pretty much never going to sit on my wrist form more than 2 minutes at a dealer the GO is as close as I can get.

Time to start putting some money away!

Glashütte Original Senator Chronometer, entirely due to the absurd 58-01 movement within (during time setting the minute hand moves in 6° increments and the seconds reset to 12). Need! Also keen for a Lange Zeitwerk, but only in second place after the GO.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 16th January 2018 at 11:33.

Craftsman
    I spent a decent amount of time considering collecting habits based on observations of others, and figured there was the following:

- Those who love every little detail about a particular model, brand or concept, that that's all they buy. There are plenty of people out there who want to collect every kind of Swatch Watch, Submariner, or Heuer just because they love the little subtleties of each variant of the selection. I often thought about building a collection of something that nobody has thought of, such as Omega Olympic watches or some other ilk. I am rather partial to dual-register chronographs over any other model of watch (Despite not actually owning any at present). Ultimately the cost of such an enterprise, not to mention the service cost, was an interesting concept.

- Those who build a collection of the various types of watches, to have a "balanced" collection. IE, a diver, a chrono, a dress watch, a quartz etc. etc. etc. This was me, but ultimately resulted in failure because the pieces I collected I rather think I bought too quickly because they fit with my collection structure, and didn't really love the pieces themselves enough.

- Those who buy collections of watches that group together. This was also me - I always wanted to assemble my own collection of the original Omega Masters Trilogy (Well before they thought to release the Baselworld selection ;) ) and I ended up purchasing the modern Speedmaster Moonwatch, a 2254.50 Seamaster and the Aqua Terra Railmaster. I remember thinking that I had put them all together with the same font-on-dial and twisty Omega lugs that made the mini-collection work as whole, while at the same time being very different watches. They looked great together in pictures; but again ultimately resulted in failure because I didn't love the watches enough. It was a collection, for collection's sake. The 2254.50 and Railmaster were ultimately destined for Sales Corner...

- The vintage collector. I get the attraction with this but ultimately too much of a minefield for the uninitiated. Too many frankens, redials and conmen - but if you sit in this camp and know what you're doing then there's either bargains to be had, a buck to be made, or a great set of watches to be had if you like the style or proportions of vintage pieces.

I'm sure I could think of many more stereotypes along the way here. Nevertheless, the result of this diatribe is that it made me sit down and think about - who am I? What's my wish list?

I'm pretty much now a two watch guy, despite the watchbox hovering around 15 or so. The BLNR gets all the wear, and the Speedmaster gets a look in when I get bored of the BLNR, or on Tuesdays (naturally). I've learnt the hard way that having spent all the cash on watches that I'm not truly smitten with, or on some quest to fulfill some kind of collection goal, I could have just saved the cash and spent it on what I'm now saving for. I want my collection to be the BLNR, the Speedmaster and a.n.other Haute Horlogerie piece that I have no intention of selling. I will just keep saving and biding my time, until something grabs me (at the moment a Patek 5146 is winning, but its just so far out of reach!). Any other watches in the watch box must be sub-£250 and not get in the way of the 3rd and final watch.

Bottom line is - its hard to sell watches once you've bought them (at least, not for pittance!), and I'm sure many of us have learnt the hard way that Nirvana could have been achieved had the money not be wasted on something that just got in the way.

Food for thought?

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    I spent a decent amount of time considering collecting habits based on observations of others, and figured there was the following:

- Those who love every little detail about a particular model, brand or concept, that that's all they buy. There are plenty of people out there who want to collect every kind of Swatch Watch, Submariner, or Heuer just because they love the little subtleties of each variant of the selection. I often thought about building a collection of something that nobody has thought of, such as Omega Olympic watches or some other ilk. I am rather partial to dual-register chronographs over any other model of watch (Despite not actually owning any at present). Ultimately the cost of such an enterprise, not to mention the service cost, was an interesting concept.

- Those who build a collection of the various types of watches, to have a "balanced" collection. IE, a diver, a chrono, a dress watch, a quartz etc. etc. etc. This was me, but ultimately resulted in failure because the pieces I collected I rather think I bought too quickly because they fit with my collection structure, and didn't really love the pieces themselves enough.

- Those who buy collections of watches that group together. This was also me - I always wanted to assemble my own collection of the original Omega Masters Trilogy (Well before they thought to release the Baselworld selection ;) ) and I ended up purchasing the modern Speedmaster Moonwatch, a 2254.50 Seamaster and the Aqua Terra Railmaster. I remember thinking that I had put them all together with the same font-on-dial and twisty Omega lugs that made the mini-collection work as whole, while at the same time being very different watches. They looked great together in pictures; but again ultimately resulted in failure because I didn't love the watches enough. It was a collection, for collection's sake. The 2254.50 and Railmaster were ultimately destined for Sales Corner...

- The vintage collector. I get the attraction with this but ultimately too much of a minefield for the uninitiated. Too many frankens, redials and conmen - but if you sit in this camp and know what you're doing then there's either bargains to be had, a buck to be made, or a great set of watches to be had if you like the style or proportions of vintage pieces.

I'm sure I could think of many more stereotypes along the way here. Nevertheless, the result of this diatribe is that it made me sit down and think about - who am I? What's my wish list?

I'm pretty much now a two watch guy, despite the watchbox hovering around 15 or so. The BLNR gets all the wear, and the Speedmaster gets a look in when I get bored of the BLNR, or on Tuesdays (naturally). I've learnt the hard way that having spent all the cash on watches that I'm not truly smitten with, or on some quest to fulfill some kind of collection goal, I could have just saved the cash and spent it on what I'm now saving for. I want my collection to be the BLNR, the Speedmaster and a.n.other Haute Horlogerie piece that I have no intention of selling. I will just keep saving and biding my time, until something grabs me (at the moment a Patek 5146 is winning, but its just so far out of reach!). Any other watches in the watch box must be sub-£250 and not get in the way of the 3rd and final watch.

Bottom line is - its hard to sell watches once you've bought them (at least, not for pittance!), and I'm sure many of us have learnt the hard way that Nirvana could have been achieved had the money not be wasted on something that just got in the way.

Food for thought?

M.
    Lot of wisdom in that post. Be honest with the type of person you are I think. Number of times I've gone down a rabbit hole of collecting something (not always watches) and end up with a huge quantity of stuff that doesn't do anything for me.

Some people get off on subtle dial differences in what are essentially the same watch. Not me. I have an SBDX017 and a Snowflake as well as a watch box full of cheaper stuff that is never worn. At some point, one day I'll get something else but I'm in no rush
    Last edited by Parabola; 17th January 2018 at 08:19.

Food for thought?

M.
    Wow! That was insightful. I am obviously at the learning the hard way stage. I too have three hardcore remainers in my stable ND sub, BLNR and a Speedy Pro....one more top end dress watch should end it all, but I too keep buying stuff on a whim wasting money ☹️.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Lot of wisdom in that post. Be honest with the type of person you are I think. Number of times I've gone down a rabbit hole of collecting something (not always watches) and end up with a huge quantity of stuff that doesn't do anything for me.

Some people get off on subtle dial differences in what are essentially the same watch. Not me. I have an SBDX017 and a Snowflake as well as a watch box full of cheaper stuff that is never worn. At some point, one day I'll get something else but I'm in no rush

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Parabola - though is there an echo? Your post has gone all wibbly.

Master
    Cheers Parabola - though is there an echo? Your post has gone all wibbly.
    Haha don't know mate. Think my Internet connection sort of cut in and out and it posted it three times. Weird

I'm the same. In fact my watch wish list is written down on the notepad bit of my phone, with a 👍 next to each piece when acquired! It currently looks like this:

Seiko SKX007 👍
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist 👍
    Casio A168-W 👍
    Timex NaviHarbor 👍
    Casio G-Shock
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Seiko SARB035

That's how I want my collection to look in the coming months, certainly by the end of the year. The GShock will be my beater for gym, camping, trekking, football etc. The SARB035 will be my dress watch. The Alpinist and Khaki King will be my daily work wearers. The SKX007 will be a weekender. The A168-W and the Timex I just like, they're both quartz and easy to chuck on in a rush or if you just fancy a change.

I was very close to getting the Hamilton this month, but my car nearly died and I got a bill from the garage that would make Roman Abramovic weep, so it's been delayed for now.

Longer term, my aim is to get a 39mm Rolex Explorer, hopefully in about 3 years. At present my kids are very young, wife only working part time for that reason, so I have different priorities. Good to have short term and long term goals though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrlx View Post
    Wow! That was insightful. I am obviously at the learning the hard way stage. I too have three hardcore remainers in my stable ND sub, BLNR and a Speedy Pro....one more top end dress watch should end it all, but I too keep buying stuff on a whim wasting money ☹️.
    Someone who joined here way back in 2011 should know better by now ;) Haha.

Baby steps at a time but here's mine:

1. MIH watch
    2. FP Journe OctaSport
    3. Urban Jurgensen Reference Big 8
    4. Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller GMT

Hope to get one in 2018 otherwise will just continue to save until I can afford it.

Cheers

James

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Same here! Given that a Lange 1 is pretty much never going to sit on my wrist form more than 2 minutes at a dealer the GO is as close as I can get.

Time to start putting some money away!
    And, in my humble opinion, it’s pretty close.

After a recent business event for which I had worked for several years, I had promised myself a Lange (Grosse) 1 as a “success prize”. However, when I actually got round to going to buy it, I noticed the GO PanoReserve in the same dealer. To my astonishment, I decided that I liked it more than the ALS. Incredulous, I gave myself a few days to come to my senses — but failed to do so. Even on second acquaintance, the GO was utterly enchanting — and I had trouble working out exactly why there was such a price difference to the ALS, the quality looked, and felt, superb. So, admittedly in steel, I bought a watch I preferred for only about a quarter of the price of my initially intended “prize”.

That experience started me on a love affair with GO. I have since spent some of my “saving” on a Senator Excellence and a Sport Evo Pano. Love them all! Absolutely no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Haha don't know mate. Think my Internet connection sort of cut in and out and it posted it three times. Weird
    You always could 'edit' it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrlx View Post
    Glad you think so. You wouldn't believe the amount of mid-week wine that went into this post.

mid week wine tastes all the sweeter! Even my Mrs said “are you sure you didn’t write that”. Reassuring to know I’m not the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app