closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deeper, not wider

Deeper, not wider

Taking inspiration from the article below, I have decided to make 2018 a year of not buying anything (non-perishable) for myself. So no more clothes, books, watches. I want 2018 to be a year of less not more.

http://www.raptitude.com/2017/12/go-...Raptitude.com)

It was something I did a few years back (I managed until November). Has anyone else tried something similar?

Blog Entries
    I need clothes and I enjoy books and watches, amongst other thing. They fulfil necessity and bring me pleasure that no amount of emptiness or self-denial can replace. So I won't be doing this or anything like this.

Good luck with it, though, if it floats your boat.

On reading the blog I see that he is not being literal. I think his principle is a fair and good one but I think self-discipline is more important than a rejection of consumerism (and, to be fair, he is in effect advocating an improvement in self-discipline).

I strongly agree with this other article he wrote about self-discipline: Wise People Have Rules For Themselves.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 2nd January 2018 at 06:13.

Thanks Mark and I understand your point.

I have plenty of clothes (a dozen pairs of jeans amongst other things) and a ton of books (quite a few remain un-read). I certainly have enough to get me through the year!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I have plenty of clothes (a dozen pairs of jeans amongst other things) and a ton of books (quite a few remain un-read). I certainly have enough to get me through the year!
    Fair enough. :-)

I initially failed to grok what he was getting at. On re-reading, I realised he really is advocating an improvement in self-discipline and I have to say that I agree with him. Indeed, if you have adequate resources to satisfy your needs and interests then, as you say, buying more is unnecessary.

P.S. I edited my earlier message above a few times as I initially posted a criticism that I later realised was not valid. I've come the view that I think the blogger has a good point. :-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 2nd January 2018 at 06:23.

Good luck surviving with that resolution through January! You were a younger man then.

It's an interesting idea.

Certainly the idea of imposing a bit of self discipline on oneself is worthwhile I think, even if it just causes a pause for thought before hitting "Buy-it-Now".

I'm quite a cautious buyer, but I've found myself buying more non-essentials (and if I'm honest more "never really felt I had a desire for one until now"s) over the last couple of years.

I will definitely be aiming to be a bit less extravagant on SC, eBay, Amazon and a few other websites this year.

I have too many still boxed diecast models, unread books, rarely worn watches and unlistened to CDs already!

I think (and others will disagree, of course) that the pleasure that buying items bring is often far too fleeting to justify the actual cost.

So, I'm in! I know I'll stumble along the way, but from now on I'll attempt to exercise self-restraint, even on the 99p Kindle Daily deals!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 2nd January 2018 at 10:38.

I agree to some extent, I usually only buy books from charity shops and I return them once read. Clothes wise I don't need much other than golf wear. Having just bought a house and having recently refurbished it, i do need a few bits. But I do scow the charity shops for furniture etc. No golf clubs needed at the moment. Having my health is the most important thing to me and that's where I intend to invest.

I think it's a great idea. You might have to apply your rule loosely sometimes, mind - I'm going to try something the same this year, but I know I need some new chinos for work, for example.

I'm also trying to simplify - getting rid of things I don't use, getting rid of duplicates. Simplify, simplify.

Also, this - I hope my friends and family like homemade presents this year.

I like the idea of making more use of the things you have rather than trying to “scratch the itch” with something new.
    As mentioned above, it’s about not buying new stuff unnecessarily rather than not buying new stuff at all. It’s not just about books either, that’s just an example.

I do try to live my life this way mostly but I’ve a box full of watches and a garage full of motorcycles which clearly show my lack of success at times!

I’ve always tried to live like this. I have two pairs of jeans at any one time and wear them until they are utterly destroyed before replacing. I have two pairs of trainers, one for walking one for running. Again I wear until ruined. Repeat for all of my clothes and shoes. I buy quality stuff but for many years. Likewise for cycling clothing. My one weakness is bikes where I have an old beater road bike and a “best” titanium road bike that cost a few grand, a Brompton, an old beater mountain bike and a best mountain bike. Everything else of my stuff is old and replaced when it breaks. I buy cars for 10 years at a time etc. None of this is because I’m poor, it just allows a good balance and for me to put 50% of my income into investments for early retirement.

Master
    Prime has made it far too easy for the whimsical purchase to be fulfilled for me, I’m starting to now consider more of the want vs need - there are some purchases that I need for work etc, but many fall into the want category.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Good to see someone else is a fan of the raptitude blog. All of the posts on that site are well worth reading.

Books are the cornerstone of civilisation imo. I’d give up a lot of things, but to be without a book would be appalling...

Master
    That sounds like a idea worth emulating.Over the last few years I too have accumulated 'stuff'. Stuff I 'want' but don't really 'need'. I too will do it for 6 months, buy only the essentials. No baubles, trinkets, good deals, BOGOFs, I've always wanted this etc etc. I will read the books I bought in 2017, listen to the CDs, wear the watches, use the pens and so forth.
    Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I’ve always tried to live like this. I have two pairs of jeans at any one time and wear them until they are utterly destroyed before replacing. I have two pairs of trainers, one for walking one for running. Again I wear until ruined. Repeat for all of my clothes and shoes. I buy quality stuff but for many years. Likewise for cycling clothing.
    I'm kinda similar. Wife that spends too much and two kids that have everything, I'm pretty low down the pecking order when it comes to spending on me. Plus I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion, and I don't enjoy shopping much.

I like the quote: "Fill your life with experiences not things, have stories to tell not things to show."

That sounds like a good way of living, I'm going to follow that, my aim is month at a time and see how far I can go

I pretty much live this way.

My wardrobe is modest and clothes get worn until they have holes in or otherwise not presentable usually. I try to buy decent things and look after them.

My only vice right now is watches, but I never use money from my bank account to buy them - I only sell off other things I no longer use and that sets my budget for this, and also helps to reduce the clutter, but I am really tight when it comes to money.

I try to enjoy life as a whole rather than consuming... Not that this means I'm totally happy or I've worked out some secret to life, but I realised in my 20's when I lost a close relative (17 year old niece) in a car crash that money is pretty much useless with regards to anything that matters and haven't checked my bank account for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Books are the cornerstone of civilisation imo. I’d give up a lot of things, but to be without a book would be appalling...
    I'm pretty sure nothing in this approach prevents you reading...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I like the quote: "Fill your life with experiences not things, have stories to tell not things to show."
    Definitely something I've come to appreciate in recent years. Although it's a bit at odds with the whole ethos of this forum

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 26th January 2018 at 13:11.

Accepted, but if a favourite author releases a new book, aint no way I’m not buying it!

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed reading that and to some degree I agree with it.
    Might try it. It won’t apply to watches though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone working on this? How's it going?

I am and I've started keeping track of the "Things I didn't need, but still bought!".

So far I've spent £264 on things I didn't really need, including CDs, Books, a nutcracker and two more IP cameras for the house.

I have fallen prey to a few diecast models, too (in that figure - I've only bought reduced ones I really wanted!) and I did fund a Kickstarter watch (Not included, but that's not wasted, is it? )

M

Including the watches I bought this year, but not Scuba gear, I've spent about £2700 on 'stuff' this year.

Keeping track of spending on frivilous purchases has certainly helped me reduce the amount of 'stuff' I bought this year.

I did succumb now and then, but I'm going to keep tracking in 2019 and reduce my spending on things I really don't need further.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I will try and be a little more restrained this year - I have far too many clothes, shoes, trainers, cars, bikes watches etc. So apart from the odd pair of jeans etc. So I don’t really need to buy much of anything accept food.

I don’t believe in denial, but a little restraint is no bad thing.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am going to try and save at least £1k a month by not buying 'stuff' that ends up just sitting in the wardrobe or garages.

My MONZO pot is set up and waiting for payday.