closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some help on types of leather finish....

Craftsman

Some help on types of leather finish....

Hi all,

Hope someone could help me out regarding the name, term or description for a particular type of leather finish.

Its what i would describe as grainy... but most importantly its incredibly scratch resistant. I've known folk with LV handbags with this type of finish and they're virtually scratch free. I'm personally looking for a leather card holder of a similar finish but can't find the name....

Almost exactly like this:

TIA

Craftsman
    perhaps its called "textured leather" ?

To be honest I don't think that I've seen watch straps with this type of leather but I like it a lot. Unfortunately you're not going to find it by searching for key words so you'll have to browse through webstores and such until you find something close.

I agree that you won't get much farther than "textured leather".

It isnt leather...

LV call it "canvas" - I was a bit shocked having bought a not cheap bag for my gf to find out it wasn't leather - it is very hard wearing however.

Master
    Check out "safiano" leather as a search term, if not exactly like your image it's very similar and has that texture to it.

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    Check out "safiano" leather as a search term, if not exactly like your image it's very similar and has that texture to it.
    I've learnt something from this thread, thanks. See Saffiano Leather for some info. I believe that cross-grain leather may be similar in appearance, if not exactly the same.

I would call it saffiano. The same material cut as a watch strap, and typically in an orangey colour, might also be called Hermes-style after the Parisian atelier.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Also have a look Kaufmann sellier, not exactly the same but not far away
    Last edited by animalone; 1st January 2018 at 23:23.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I've learnt something from this thread, thanks. See Saffiano Leather for some info. I believe that cross-grain leather may be similar in appearance, if not exactly the same.
    Thanks for the link; my Google-fu missed that one. Over the last 3-4 months I've developed something of a fascination about Saffiano watch straps; not least because every 4th strap on the Universal Geneve forum seems to be of that sort (perhaps a slight exaggeration). I believe that Camille Fournet are probably the best maker but at a price so I decided to try one from Bandrbands in the States and that was OK quality. Since I've found an Ebay seller in Switzerland who offers what is easily BandR quality but at a fraction of the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/natos_min...72.m2749.l2754
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRACELET-...72.m2749.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    Also have a look Kaufmann sellier, not exactly the same but not far away
    Not 'arf. As you know I also bought one of these and they are really beautifully finished. In terms of the style, their main disadvantage is that they lack the contrasting white stitch which is a bit of a hallmark (or at least is with the light tan version).

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Not 'arf. As you know I also bought one of these and they are really beautifully finished. In terms of the style, their main disadvantage is that they lack the contrasting white stitch which is a bit of a hallmark (or at least is with the light tan version).
    I can check when I get back tomorrow. but I thought the contrast stitching was a standard option. If not it can be requested easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    I can check when I get back tomorrow. but I thought the contrast stitching was a standard option. If not it can be requested easily enough.
    Ooooh! Please do.

I believe that Camille Fournet are probably the best maker but at a price....
    Lic in Belgium have also produced some decent Saffiano straps.

Craftsman
    Yep saffian/saffian, I have a few hides of it here. I used it on this.

Craftsman
    Look up 'stationary' on aacrack, it's very similar.

Thanks for the link; my Google-fu missed that one. Over the last 3-4 months I've developed something of a fascination about Saffiano watch straps; not least because every 4th strap on the Universal Geneve forum seems to be of that sort (perhaps a slight exaggeration). I believe that Camille Fournet are probably the best maker but at a price so I decided to try one from Bandrbands in the States and that was OK quality. Since I've found an Ebay seller in Switzerland who offers what is easily BandR quality but at a fraction of the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/natos_min...72.m2749.l2754
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRACELET-...72.m2749.l2649

Off topic but, that Universal Geneve could be held to your wrist by a bit of string and look amazing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Off topic but, that Universal Geneve could be held to your wrist by a bit of string and look amazing.
    Thank you. In some respects it's a bit of a curate's egg inasmuch as it's quite difficult to read the time; something obviously not helped by the 24hr complication. The movement is a Lemania 1877 rather than an original UG/Martell calibre but I'm not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Lic in Belgium have also produced some decent Saffiano straps.
    Thanks for that; I'd not heard of them before even though they feature on watchbandcenter.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Look up 'stationary' on aacrack, it's very similar.
    That site isn't called crack by accident - I could spend some considerable time on there.

Just to add that Massimiliano at GLC straps are also a source of Saffiano straps. I was about to write that unfortunately they don't do the contrast white stitching but having just checked the link to their website it seems they now do.

http://glcstraps.it/shop/

It's just a pressed PU coated split leather.

Craftsman
    wow - thank you all for the detailed and helpful responses!

In search now of the perfect example card holder but no doubt will see what watch straps variants exist as well!

Thanks again all.

Ooooh! Please do.

My mistake, the Sellier straps come as standard with tone stitching, however they can be ordered with contrast on request.

The strap I was thinking about with the contrast stitching was the pigskin.

That's not too shabby either. Pigskin is also quite a difficult hide to get these days; do you know their name for that range or model?

That's not too shabby either. Pigskin is also quite a difficult hide to get these days; do you know their name for that range or model?
    It is down in the catalogue as "pigskin classic" if you are looking in Germany possibly Schweinsleder ?
    Their style reference is 121 that should save any confusion

Vielen dank.