closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RAF cold war photographs

RAF cold war photographs

Something good from the DM for a change, some cracking photographs from the cold war era.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...F-1950-70.html

That is fantastic, thank you for posting.

Super post, thank you.

Master
    We had some damned good kit !

Good post !! well spotted

B

Craftsman
    Amazing photographs!

Many thanks for posting these.

My uncle flew meteors, vampires and hunters, so these photos bring back many happy memories.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Many thanks for posting this, as well as the history they are a fantastic set of photographs.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Great link. Good photos and always good to have a reminder of the past.

Master
    Thanks for the link- remember so much of these from my childhood on various RAF stations in the 1950s and 1960s, both here and abroad.

Grand Master
    When I look at any old pics with people in them as with many of these,all the guys have many years ahead of them,and there varied lives and careers etc,I think what did they do,where are they now,many maybe long since passed away.
    Has me mesmerised wondering every time.Love looking at old pics.My Brotherinlaw has the local pub and has old pics of the pub and local area playing on the tv at times,a great talking point and look at what we remembered years ago,some that don't seem that long ago in the 70's and 80's!,but they are when you look at how things have changed and people we knew no longer with us.

Great post.

Great pics. Thanks for posting Dunc.

The Lightning ones especially reminded me of my plan to join the RAF as flight crew but failing my Maths O level made me miss out.

TBH although it looked romantic to me at the time I doubt I'd have got on well as I'm not keen on taking orders and am quite idle too.

The RAF had a lucky escape!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Some lovely images, thanks for sharing the link.

Blog Entries
    What fantastic photos. Thank you very much for the link!

Awesome pictures! Makes you feel proud of those pilots and aircraft. Thanks for posting.

Master
    Absolutely amazing series of photos, thanks for posting.

Reminds me of going to Biggin Hill for 3 days of “selection testing” for flight crew at 16 years of age.
    Got floored when the interviewer asked me how I’d feel about having to kill people if I was asked (make that ordered). I’d never considered that part of being a pilot but as it turned out, it was academic, as I wasn’t the 1 guy out of almost 100 of us that got beyond that stage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    When I look at any old pics with people in them as with many of these,all the guys have many years ahead of them,and there varied lives and careers etc,I think what did they do,where are they now,many maybe long since passed away.
    Has me mesmerised wondering every time.Love looking at old pics.My Brotherinlaw has the local pub and has old pics of the pub and local area playing on the tv at times,a great talking point and look at what we remembered years ago,some that don't seem that long ago in the 70's and 80's!,but they are when you look at how things have changed and people we knew no longer with us.

Great post.
    I was a Royal Air Force photographer 1958-1964, still alive, not so sure about the kicking.

Craftsman
    Love these! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    I was a Royal Air Force photographer 1958-1964, still alive, not so sure about the kicking.
    Nice! Do you have any photos of your own to share Brian ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Nice! Do you have any photos of your own to share Brian ?
    No Ally I haven't. Never seemed important at the time.

Great photos Duncan! Thanks for sharing the link.

Ian

Brilliant thanks. Love the pics of the V bombers, my favourites.

Fantastic pictures.

I love visiting the RAF Museum with the kids and seeing the Vulcan and the Lightnings. I was born in '72 so not old enough to remember them in service but my dad took us to Farnborough Air Show a couple of times and I was lucky enough to see the Vulcan in flight.

Frightening to think of us being so prepared for such total annihilation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Fantastic pictures.

I love visiting the RAF Museum with the kids and seeing the Vulcan and the Lightnings. I was born in '72 so not old enough to remember them in service but my dad took us to Farnborough Air Show a couple of times and I was lucky enough to see the Vulcan in flight.
    It's too late now for these aircraft of course but you were just about old enough for both the Vulcan and Lightning in service.

I was born in 1971 and I had the pleasure of seeing a Vulcan operating in the maritime patrol role. I was on a ferry from Harwich to Denmark with my parents and I remember a Vulcan making a low banking pass over the ship from the port side. Wow. I don't remember how old I was when I experienced this and yet I can still remember the sight. It was probably around 1980.

As for the Lightning, these only left service in 1988 so they were there, even if neither you nor I saw them operationally.

Brings back happy memories of 60 MU Leconfield, 19 Sqn Gutersloh, 11 Sqn Binbrook (all Lightning’s) and 57 and 55 Sqn Victors at Marham.

It all makes me feel very ancient as I flew in Victors at RAF Wyton during my service career. They were totally different days during the cold war, that's for sure....

Never realized there was a glazed nose before.. Great pic.

Nice group of pictures which bring back many memories.
    I was at Cottesmore on 35sqn, in Cyprus with 35sqn again, and later at Waddington with 101sqn.
    Still remember the day when AVM Kyle came to tell all of us aircrew that it had been decided to scrap Bomber Command and introduce Strike Command
    We were not very pleased about that. Bomber Command had a proud history, and we were part of that tradition.
    The fact that we were carrying the H bomb on standby (or QRA as it was termed) was one reason we were told.
    As previously said the V Bombers had a bomb aimers window for use if carrying conventional weapons (iron bombs)
    The crewman occupying it would normally have been the Nav Radar rather than the Nav Plotter as quoted.

I remember going to RAF Biggin Hill open days in the '60's and seeing all those aircraft. The Vulcan is remembered especially for that earth shaking sound!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Never realized there was a glazed nose before.. Great pic.
    Indeed, great pictures, and came as a surprise to me as well re the bomber cone.

As an aside, arguably, Vulcan is the most beautiful war plane ever built. Nice find OP!
    Last edited by VDG; 1st January 2018 at 20:41.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Used to live down the road from Hawker Siddeley Woodford and probably saw all those aircraft at the air shows in the late 60’s early 70’s. The Vulcan was incredible but watching a Lightning takeing off and then going vertical was something I’ve never forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Used to live down the road from Hawker Siddeley Woodford and probably saw all those aircraft at the air shows in the late 60’s early 70’s. The Vulcan was incredible but watching a Lightning takeing off and then going vertical was something I’ve never forgotten.
    So did I. Used to go to the Woodford airshow every year in the 60s. Saw Vulcans all the time, they were built at Woodford weren’t they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk