closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Orient Ray II, crystal replacement?

Journeyman

Orient Ray II, crystal replacement?

I originally posted this in Mods & Wreckers, but it's been pointed out to me that I'll probably get a better response here. So here goes. Again...

I've got a blue Ray II on the way, and me being me, I fancy messing about with it.

Am thinking about maybe a double dome, blue AR coated sapphire from crystaltimes. But there is no way I'm going inside a watch, because of lack of talent & tools.

Is there anyone the forum would recommend for doing the job? I'm in Wigan so if there's anyone in the north-west that would be great.

Thanks.

If you look on the crystal times website and find the section 'crystal fitters' there are a few they recommend there, no experience, but some are in the UK.

Journeyman
    Well, my Ray II blue arrived today and I'm reasonably impressed for the money. Certainly doesn't look or feel like a sub £150 watch. Seems to be keeping decent time too.

Still fancy the crystal change, but think I'll live with it for a while.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob998 View Post
    Well, my Ray II blue arrived today and I'm reasonably impressed for the money. Certainly doesn't look or feel like a sub £150 watch. Seems to be keeping decent time too.

Still fancy the crystal change, but think I'll live with it for a while.
    I've dropped my Seiko SARB017 in to Precision Time in Leigh for a crystal change from Flat non-AR to double domed AR, I have been quoted a very cheap £15, I'll let you know how I get on when I get it back. I have a Ray Raven II on order and I will be having the crystal changed on that when I get it if the SARB change goes well.

I am looking at Crystaltimes or Yobokies (my SARB one came from Harold) for the new Crystal.

Journeyman
    That sounds very reasonable. I'll look forward to your report!

I was looking at the Crystaltimes double dome, with either blue or clear AR.

I've put a black/grey/blue striped Zulu on it which looks the part.

I really like this watch, still love the way the blue dial catches the light. I know, simple things and all that...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I will be sure to let you know. I decided on the raven as a change from the silver stainless finish of most of my other watches, although I do like the blue dial.

Journeyman

I was looking at the Crystaltimes double dome, with either blue or clear AR.

I've put a black/grey/blue striped Zulu on it which looks the part.

I really like this watch, still love the way the blue dial catches the light. I know, simple things and all that...
    Hey Rob - will be really interested to hear how you get on. I have the exact same watch and it's picked up a light scratch on the crystal near the centre of the dial so was thinking of replacing the crystal but wasn't convinced it was worth the cost on a relatively inexpensive watch.

Any chance of some pics of the watch on the zulu?

Journeyman
    I'll try to remember to get some tomorrow in daylight, our crappy energy saver bulbs make everything look a bit weird...

Journeyman

Sorry for crappy phone pic.

Journeyman
    Thanks for posting the pic. Removing the metal bracelet gives it a much more casual feel to the watch. Think i will try something similar or potentially a blue, white and red strap. Since i got my sub i haven't worn the orient, but hopefully this can give it a new lease of life.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Collected my SARB017 today from Precision Time after the change from original Flat non AR Sapphire to Yobokies DD AR blue Sapphire. Totally pleased with the job and they gave me back the original crystal and fully waterproof tested the watch as well, all for the princely sum of £15, couldn't be more pleased.

Here is the finished article.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the update. That looks really good. SWMBO teaches in Leigh a couple of days a week, so easy enough to get her to drop it off.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update. That looks really good. SWMBO teaches in Leigh a couple of days a week, so easy enough to get her to drop it off.
    Just to note that PT is only open on Friday, Saturday & Monday, turnaround for me was 1 week.

Journeyman
    Perfect, Monday is one of her days at the Leigh campus so that works well.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Perfect, Monday is one of her days at the Leigh campus so that works well.
    Have you ordered your Crystal & if so where from?

Journeyman
    Not yet, but will probably be from crystaltimes. I nearly pulled the trigger last night, but bought some records instead

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Not yet, but will probably be from crystaltimes. I nearly pulled the trigger last night, but bought some records instead
    Just ordered the DD AR Blue from Crystaltimes

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My Crystal from Crystaltimes arrived this morning and I’ve dropped off this and the Ray at Precision Time this afternoon, should be ready next Friday. I believe you have been it touch with them already.

Journeyman
    Yes, about an old Rodania that I want to have repaired. He seems a nice bloke, from my brief email exchange with him.

What do you think of the crystal? I know it's hard to judge from the loose article...

That was quick delivery from Hong Kong.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yes both he & his wife (who runs the shop) seem very pleasant, genuine and very passionate about watches. It’s s very small operation, not pretentious just good value.

TBH I didn’t really examine the Crystal, just made sure it was in one piece!

Yes delivery was very quick, just 5 working days. My new Orient Bambino from Creation also turned up today, again 5 working days delivery, very impressed.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Just picked up my Ray Raven from Precision Time, it’s now sporting a new DD AR blue tint sapphire.