closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Energy suppliers - recommendations please!

Master

Energy suppliers - recommendations please!

Time to look at new fixed rate deals. Some of the new players offer cheaper rates but customer service records are obviously lacking as they haven’t been around long enough. I want good communication and service which SSE provides but at a price. Who are you with and are you happy?

I'm happy with Ovo. The app works well showing detailed usage patterns via the smart meters I asked them to fit.

I'd go by price. Not really much service involved. They bill, you pay.

Master
    Surprisingly Marks & Spencer for me. Two year deal, came out the best price plus £75 M&S voucher.

May I direct you to this thread:-

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...the-fundraiser

They've extended the cashback offer to the end of the year, and I'll still pop any more money I get from the referral link to the fundraiser.

Craftsman
    Having gone through various debacles with NPower and Co-op, I'd stay clear of both.

I'm using Flow Energy and their customer service has been very good, and I say that on the basis of them sorting two problems out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

They've extended the cashback offer to the end of the year, and I'll still pop any more money I get from the referral link to the fundraiser.
    I've been using Octopus Energy for around 2 years now and rate them highly.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Looking at octopus energy right now and if I commit within the next 24hrs seems the fundraiser will bag £50.

First utility, bee not with them a few years now. They always seem to stay competitive

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I'm happy with Ovo. The app works well showing detailed usage patterns via the smart meters I asked them to fit.
    Agreed. I let them fit an electric smartmeter but they couldn't fit a gas one without tearing my kitchen sink units to pieces. For some reason a previous owner had the gas meter moved there.
    The Ovo app is really good.

So Energy have been very good thus far, a revelation compared to the idiots at N Power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Filled in the link so hopefully you should get the referral.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Filled in the link so hopefully you should get the referral.
    Oh, splendid.

It has recorded on the system, so I'll chuck the cash in the fundraiser

Master
    Octopus for us. Very high standard of service and great price.

Journeyman
    We loved Ovo when we were with them. Sadly we had to move on but would happily go back if they were the most competitive again. BTW do people have smart -meters? Im suspicious of them but cant say why other than the fact that the companies want us to all have one so therefore it cant be in our/my interests to acquiesce! I guess my fear is that fitting one will result in me paying more. Thoughts?

Master
    So Energy for us. I’ve just renewed with them and they have been good to deal with and well priced.

If you want to go with them and want £20/25 credit (can’t remember which), drop me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rc30matt View Post
    We loved Ovo when we were with them. Sadly we had to move on but would happily go back if they were the most competitive again. BTW do people have smart -meters? Im suspicious of them but cant say why other than the fact that the companies want us to all have one so therefore it cant be in our/my interests to acquiesce! I guess my fear is that fitting one will result in me paying more. Thoughts?
    Smart-metres.... over my dead body! A way for the powers that be to spy on your usage and paves the way for the day when electricity will be varying rates for different times of day. Also relies upon scare tactics so you turn your fridge off to save usage... a bit like water meters. Just about everyone I know who has had a water meter fitted suddenly stops using water e.g. stops watering the garden or cleaning the car.. hasn't worked in our house.... £800 a year water bill and yes we do have a meter, the difference is we have a nice garden, clean car, etc... ;-)

We have been with 'Utility Warehouse' at home for several years, they appear competitive but this is a useful reminder to check again for the best deal.

I inherited a rental property in Liverpool, which is currently on Ovo - The online usage and billing portal is very good.

Interesting to read that rc30Matt moved away from Ovo, they were the cheapest 9 months ago but worth another look.

Matt, who are you with now ?

I was with the Coop but wouldn’t recommend them, currently with EDF (based on price) and they’ve been good so far....

Master
    I joined Octopus through the original link by Gyp, so far so good. Great communication and cheaper than my old supplier☺

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I joined Octopus through the original link by Gyp, so far so good. Great communication and cheaper than my old supplier☺
    I think it's worth reiterating that my recommendation wasn't solely on the basis of price (they're not the cheapest), but it makes sense to me that they charge a reasonable about of money on an ongoing basis and I can stick with one supplier without worrying, rather than having to change regularly because of the bait and switch approach of the big players.

In addition, their customer service has been excellent, especially when it took British Gas months to accept the transfer reading.

When I've had cause to contact them, the response has been quick and one person has taken responsibility for resolving the issue rather than being passed around.

Sensible pricing and good customer service works as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure a number of the smaller players are doing a lot better than the big 6.

Another vote for OVO they have been brilliant very accurate and managed a house move seamlessly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd go by price. Not really much service involved. They bill, you pay.

Have to agree with that. Not to say some providers (eg British Gas) can be hard work, I would always go for the cheapest.

Always worth checking Quidco/TopCashback and other offers. I moved to Bulb recently only to be told by an acquaintance that he is with them and we'd have both got £50 if he's referred me!

Journeyman
    We are currently with First Utility. We tend to switch every year so they must have been offering the best deal at the time

Journeyman
    I agree with this, been with them twice now, never had any issues.

I also review / change at the end of each fixed tariff

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Another vote for OVO they have been brilliant very accurate and managed a house move seamlessly

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    So Energy for us. I’ve just renewed with them and they have been good to deal with and well priced.

If you want to go with them and want £20/25 credit (can’t remember which), drop me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Update on my earlier post; and in full agreement with Tahiti.

Just re-signed with So Energy on their Koala tariff for Gas & Leccy. Predicted £725/year based on previous years readings. Pretty good I reckon for a 4 Bed Detached House. N Power had us paying around £1200/year the thieving gits.

Craftsman
    Ovo, then First Utility, now on to Bulb Energy, I change every year to the cheapest supplier, Bulb last month was the cheapest for me, bonus was I also got a £100 (only £50 now) referral and no tie in.

OVO for me after a nightmare with EDF ...steer well clear of them what ever they promise!