closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1971 Omega 9ct Gold Watch Valuation?

Apprentice

1971 Omega 9ct Gold Watch Valuation?

Hi

I am new to the forums and looking for a bit of advise please. My Father has given me his 1971 Automatic Omega De Ville 9ct Gold watch to sell as does not fit anymore and will not be used anymore.

He originally purchased the watch in 1999 from a well know dealer in Great Yarmouth Cox & Son. Has receipt from this sale but did not come with original box and papers.

Having had a quick look there do not seem to be to
    many about and price is hard to gauge. If you can advise or have any advise that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Apprentice
    Unsure how to add photos on the post from my phone, if anyone is able to advise that would be great. Thank you

Master
    Pop it on ebay let the market dictate the value :)

Quote Originally Posted by mzsbo View Post
    Unsure how to add photos on the post from my phone, if anyone is able to advise that would be great. Thank you
    Easiest way I find to post pictures is via the tzuk app. Even I can manage it.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Easiest way I find to post pictures is via the tzuk app. Even I can manage it.
    Great, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

The bracelet will be worth more than the watch.
    to sell in the open market £800
    Insurance £2.5k

IMO

Master
    The bracelet looks to be integrated. It would be a shame to scrap it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    The bracelet will be worth more than the watch.
    to sell in the open market £800
    Insurance £2.5k

IMO
    You wouldn't be able to separate the bracelet on this watch; it's an integral strap.

Master
    I wouldn't have thought it would be worth more than £500-600 watches like this aren't fashionable and are hard to sell you see similar ones in jewelers Windows for stupid amounts and will proberly sit there forever. a lot of people would just scrap it for the gold, as hafle says put it on eBay

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the feedback, will have a bit of a think but I guess was hoping for quite a bit more.
    Definitely more of a dress watch than an everyday watch so will have more of a limited market. Could be that person out there though so can hope.
    Tends to be the same with a lot of jewellery at the moment that it is just worth scrap unless finding the right person.

Thanks again

Matt

Master
    Have you considered that your father gave it to you in the hope he was passing on his watch to you you rather than just giving it to you so you could make a quick buck?

Get it professionally cleaned and serviced. It will add nothing to the scrap value but will put a good watch back into good order. It's an heirloom, or will be in another generation.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Have you considered that your father gave it to you in the hope he was passing on his watch to you you rather than just giving it to you so you could make a quick buck?
    Sorry, maybe I had not explained fully. I have in hand to sell on their behalf as they did not really know where to start.

He gave me his Limited Edition 1999 Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch a fews years back (seems he brought a few watches in 1999). This was given to me to keep as was the one I really liked in his collection. This one I would not let go and will also pass on to my son when older.

Master
    Sorry, maybe I had not explained fully. I have in hand to sell on their behalf as they did not really know where to start.

He gave me his Limited Edition 1999 Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch a fews years back (seems he brought a few watches in 1999). This was given to me to keep as was the one I really liked in his collection. This one I would not let go and will also pass on to my son when older.

I'll put the pitchfork away

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Get it professionally cleaned and serviced. It will add nothing to the scrap value but will put a good watch back into good order. It's an heirloom, or will be in another generation.
    Certainly considering this. In no rush for a sale and indeed can always be passed on. I have 3 boys and wanting a watch that I can pass on to each in the future. As by my previous post I have an Omega Speedmaster that ticks one of those boxes and this could be the second if it does not sell, I would also consider trading this watch for something that he may like so can get some use rather than just sitting in a box.

Wow 3 grand...?

Master
    Certainly considering this. In no rush for a sale and indeed can always be passed on. I have 3 boys and wanting a watch that I can pass on to each in the future. As by my previous post I have an Omega Speedmaster that ticks one of those boxes and this could be the second if it does not sell, I would also consider trading this watch for something that he may like so can get some use rather than just sitting in a box.

My experience is that if it is something he sees you often wearing then whether his style or not, he will build a huge emotional attachment to and cherish forever. I don't like dress watches, and typically very much dislike gold watches, but I grew up always seeing my dad with his cheap battered avia dress watch. Despite my preferences I covet that watch over everything I own, including my own copy of the same watch. I personally say keep it. It'll be even more special being in the family for 3 generations.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Wow 3 grand...?
    Open to offers and when added priced to similar that were there. Like I say, do not expect that and open to offers for them.

That is the main reason to join a forum to get peoples honest opinions and to determine if should just keep it.

Apprentice
    My experience is that if it is something he sees you often wearing then whether his style or not, he will build a huge emotional attachment to and cherish forever. I don't like dress watches, and typically very much dislike gold watches, but I grew up always seeing my dad with his cheap battered avia dress watch. Despite my preferences I covet that watch over everything I own, including my own copy of the same watch. I personally say keep it. It'll be even more special being in the family for 3 generations.
    Thank you for your feedback and good to get all points of view. The main reason for being given his Omega Speedmaster was I had always liked and one he used to wear most of all and was most sentimental to me. Fully expected this to be given to one of my brothers but they are not to worried hence the possible sale on this one. The thing with this one is that I don’t think I have ever seen him wear it as moved out before purchased but like I say not a definite sale as is worth more to us than the perhaps now value. Also will consider a trade as he is always on the look out as would like them to benefit from this.
    He also has a Breitling which again I have seen him wearing mostly since me being given the Speedmaster so has much more sentimental value.

Cheers

Matt

I think it’s worth scrap + £100 so around £600. Just noticed your listing for £3000 and question why you have asked for help you if you price it 5 times higher

Master
    A lot of nice watches to potentially become heirlooms :) slightly envious. I'm a big fan of such things, and only thing I can think of which could be in the family forr 3 generations is a wooden chair, a sewing machine, and a silver spoon that accidentally went down the sink disposal :D

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    I think it’s worth scrap + £100 so around £600. Just noticed your listing for £3000 and question why you have asked for help you if you price it 5 times higher
    Totally valid question, reason for listing was went by previous / current listings and had an offer on eBay so listed. It was a quick listing and did not expect that and thought I may find it’s true value.

Reason for coming on here is I am a person that does have attention to detail and like to find out as much as possible about things.

Based on the values given here it will just stay in the family as not worth selling for those prices, more sentimental value than £££.

Matt

Grand Master
    Contrary to many on this forum I love gold watches, particularly vintage Omegas. They may be deemed as unfashionable but they do sell and, like most vintage watches, have gone up in value in recent years. However, jewellers tend to ask silly money for them and that's why they sit in shop windows unsold.

The big problem with this watch is the integral Milanese gold bracelet. They're difficult to resize for a potential buyer and they have a tendency to break close to the watch head, particularly if worn on a slim square wrist. Sadly, this watch can`t be separated from the bracelet so it's appeal is limited. These watch cases have surprisingly little gold in them, I`ve seen similar cases with less than 10g ( I often weigh a gold case when I`ve stripped a watch down to work on it, that's how I know). I`d estimate the bracelet weight at around 20g, so at 30g overall the scrap value of the watch will be only £300.

I would say it's worth more as a watch, but no more that around £600. Having said that, a jeweller may be able to get substantially more.

This might just appeal to someone and provided they can get the bracelet resized it'll find a buyer........but a lot will rule it out for one of the reasons I`ve stated. Even as a vintage Omega enthusiast who likes gold I have to say it wouldn't be my sort of watch, I like detachable gold bracelets but I`m not a fan of this Milanese style and the fact it's integrated makes it a no-no for me.

Unless there's a compelling reason to sell I`d keep it as a family heirloom.

Paul

Apprentice
    A lot of nice watches to potentially become heirlooms :) slightly envious. I'm a big fan of such things, and only thing I can think of which could be in the family forr 3 generations is a wooden chair, a sewing machine, and a silver spoon that accidentally went down the sink disposal :D
    Indeed, very fortunate. I have always liked watches and truly would not personally be able to purchase anything on this scale. My parents know my taste as well as how much sentimental value they have as an interest we share together.

My 2 eldest boys have got watches from my parents for Christmas, again from his collection as they are keen to pass items on :)

Are you also sure it’s automatic and not manual wind? I would normally expect to see automatic written on the dial

Clandestine sales / trade post?? Little demand for such a watch especially with no service history. Consider taking it back to Cox's and seek a PX deal for something else.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th December 2017 at 20:40.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Contrary to many on this forum I love gold watches, particularly vintage Omegas. They may be deemed as unfashionable but they do sell and, like most vintage watches, have gone up in value in recent years. However, jewellers tend to ask silly money for them and that's why they sit in shop windows unsold.

The big problem with this watch is the integral Milanese gold bracelet. They're difficult to resize for a potential buyer and they have a tendency to break close to the watch head, particularly if worn on a slim square wrist. Sadly, this watch can`t be separated from the bracelet so it's appeal is limited. These watch cases have surprisingly little gold in them, I`ve seen similar cases with less than 10g ( I often weigh a gold case when I`ve stripped a watch down to work on it, that's how I know). I`d estimate the bracelet weight at around 20g, so at 30g overall the scrap value of the watch will be only £300.

I would say it's worth more as a watch, but no more that around £600. Having said that, a jeweller may be able to get substantially more.

This might just appeal to someone and provided they can get the bracelet resized it'll find a buyer........but a lot will rule it out for one of the reasons I`ve stated. Even as a vintage Omega enthusiast who likes gold I have to say it wouldn't be my sort of watch, I like detachable gold bracelets but I`m not a fan of this Milanese style and the fact it's integrated makes it a no-no for me.

Unless there's a compelling reason to sell I`d keep it as a family heirloom.

Paul
    Hi Paul

Thank you for your reply and to be honest agree with most of your points regarding the watch as does have limited appeal due to wrist size and integrated strap which is why they asked me to look at selling due to not fitting anymore.

By values I think it will stay in the family as could not see it sell for that sort of money. My son tried it on and fitted but not something he would wear.

Cheers

Matt

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Are you also sure it’s automatic and not manual wind? I would normally expect to see automatic written on the dial
    Sorry, yes is a manual wind.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Clandestine sales / trade post??

dunk
    Hi

I can confirm I am not looking to sell or trade on here, just thought I would try to determine a value. Had seen a couple of other threads and thought would be ok.

Happy for thread to be closed if this is thought.

Have always had an interest in watches and this has been the final push for me to join a forum.

Thanks

Matt

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Clandestine sales / trade post?? Little demand for such a watch especially with no service history. Consider taking it back to Cox's and seek a PX deal for something else.

dunk
    Hi

To be honest, had not thought of that and a good option.

Cheers

Matt

Master
    Matt just be aware that new joiners like yourself aren't entitled to list watches for sale so you are treading a fine line with comments like 'I am open to offers'. FWIW I also think you will struggle to get a fat lot more than scrap for that though my gut feeling is that there is more gold in it that Paul estimates above, maybe more like 40-50g total but that still puts the value at the same level as previous suggestions, circa £500-600.
    Last edited by Padders; 17th December 2017 at 20:51.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Matt just be aware that new joiners like yourself aren't entitled to list watches for sale so you are treading a fine line with comments like 'I am open to offers'. FWIW I also think you will struggle to get a fat lot more than scrap for that though my gut feeling is that there is more gold in it that Paul estimates above, maybe more like 40-50g total but that still puts the value at the same level as previous suggestions, circa £500-600.
    Hi

Again thank you for your post, had read the trading rules before joining as use another forum where rules are firm but fair and prefer it this way as know where you stand.

Now you have repeated one of my lines I can understand where you are coming from.

It’s always difficult to be a new member and thinking on it perhaps should have started with a few other comments before posting a thread like this.

Thanks and hope everyone can see I was just looking for advice and trying to help my parents out.

Thanks

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Contrary to many on this forum I love gold watches, particularly vintage Omegas.

Paul
    Having a collection of gold watches myself in particular Omega you are not in such a small minority here.

OP you have a nice watch, get it serviced, wear it or keep it for your children.