closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first missing watch in the RM system

My first missing watch in the RM system

Posted a watch to member Montybaber on the 8th via 1st class signed for.

It still hasnt reached him so I felt compelled to refund.

According to the tracking website its 'progressing through the system'

If I understand the missing item protocol then I cant do anything until 10 days have elapsed from the ETA

First time this has ever happened to me

Master
    It may well turn up still, may have to wait a month though.

Many items are delayed due to understaffing and work overload at this time of the year.
    If your buyer can show a little patience it will be best for both.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

''Tis the Season"

When systems overload and backlogs are created, the first items to go in are often the last to come out

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

If I understand the missing item protocol then I cant do anything until 10 days have elapsed from the ETA

I’ve never understood why anyone would send anything of value by anything other than RMSD.

Journeyman
    If it's just 1st class signed for there's very little you can do and you are unlikely to receive any compensation from Royal Mail. Special Delivery is always best for watches.
    It may still turn up with any luck.

We have had numerous items delivered much later than anticipated due to ‘adverse weather conditions’, so fingers crossed.
    Anything over £50 really has to go RMSD

Craftsman
    I sent a subC via RMSD and it went missing for about 3 days. Got a few quid compensation I think but not worth the near heart attack it cost me. Sure it just read ‘progressing through the system’. Think this is just a bad month to be sending anything of value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Note that RMSF does not provide compensation for loss of or damage to watches of any value. If the item has gone missing then you might get your postage cost back or a book of stamps as compensation.

It's not impossible that Royal Mail might compensate you for the item itself (although they are under no obligation to do so for watches sent by RMSF) but only up to £50.

Hopefully it will turn up, my only experience was the watch did turn up but couldn’t prove who signed for it, it was a nervous 6 weeks until out of the blue I was paid back

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Note that RMSF does not provide compensation for loss of or damage to watches of any value. If the item has gone missing then you might get your postage cost back or a book of stamps as compensation.

It's not impossible that Royal Mail might compensate you for the item itself (although they are under no obligation to do so for watches sent by RMSF) but only up to £50.
    do they not ask for an insurance value when you are at the post office. Its been a while since I last used RM.

Mark

Point taken re not using RMSD

Thankfully it was not a high value piece - £100.

Master
    We are a couple of days behind on packets here - Tuesday will be a good day for a clear up so hopefully it will turn up then- parcels have gone crazy. Priority is being given to the USO (delivering to each property), theTracked product and SD items - all 'premium ' products.
    We have about 30k addresses here and Thursdays packet traffic was approx 11k
    I'm sure I'll have no joy but PM me the tracking info
    Last edited by lewie; 17th December 2017 at 10:13.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    As said,it's busy this time of year and it might well just be held up somewhere. Also,I believe it's 10 working days before it's considered lost. Should've used RMSD but then you obviously know that now! Hopefully it will turn up next week.

Good luck Ian. Hopefully it will just turn up and has just been delayed in the system. This is a crazy busy time of year for RM and the staff are under such pressure these days.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Hi Ian, I feel really bad about this, never had any issues before either

I appreciate the refund but I am happy to wait, hopefully it will turn up and I can resend the funds

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Hi Ian, I feel really bad about this, never had any issues before either

I appreciate the refund but I am happy to wait, hopefully it will turn up and I can resend the funds
    Top response.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

So to slightly take this off on a tangent ......is there any alternative to RMSD for watches over £2500 as Parcel Pro tell me they won't do a one off job.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Even RMSD only compensates up to £2500 So is unsuitable for premium watches, where F2F is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agreed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    So to slightly take this off on a tangent ......is there any alternative to RMSD for watches over £2500 as Parcel Pro tell me they won't do a one off job.

I thought parcel pro was more for trade/dealers than individuals? No idea what the alternatives are for high value items I’m afraid - hopefully someone here will.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I thought parcel pro was more for trade/dealers than individuals? No idea what the alternatives are for high value items I’m afraid - hopefully someone here will.
    Yep that exactly the point. I think they used to do it but as you say just trade now.

Jst looking for sage advice following recent sale on TZ when F2f is proving tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I was going to start a new subject, but also interested to find out alternatives to RMSD
    , I have a one off load of very high value paperwork to deliver to HMRC , for which they will not accept delivery by hand(which is stupid!, because I’d rather deliver in person) I know solicitors use DX but when I’ve had stuff delivered by them it’s been less than professional.

[...]
    Just to be pedantic, RM "Signed For" is not regarded as a "tracked" service - it only gives proof of delivery. This can be especially an issue with eBay/PayPal deliveries or returns, where the requirement is to use a Tracked service.

Hope that the watch turns up shortly.

Blog Entries
    Read the many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many threads on this subject for suggestions. :-)

Here we go, for example: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4559211

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Read the many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many threads on this subject for suggestions. :-)

Here we go, for example: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4559211
    Thanks. I did try a search but the results all seemed so old so thought there might be some merit in asking again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    do they not ask for an insurance value when you are at the post office. Its been a while since I last used RM.
    On this point I can only speak for my own experience (mostly at my local Post Office) with both RMSF and RMSD and no, they almost never ask for value on either product. It is simply assumed that you want the default insurance value on the product you're asking for.

I (usually) remember to specify a value, in which case they do enter this into the system and it then appears on the receipt.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I did try a search but the results all seemed so old so thought there might be some merit in asking again.
    Okie doke. :-)

The search system in vBulletin isn't exactly Google quality, is it. It's definitely not good at finding the most up to date information and doesn't allow searches on nearness or thread participants, or similar.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th December 2017 at 20:14.

Blog Entries
    Speedlink same day courier for UK to UK parcel. Not cheap circa £150 but insured and guaranteed only handled by one courier. If it's over 5k why not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Speedlink same day courier for UK to UK parcel. Not cheap circa £150 but insured and guaranteed only handled by one courier. If it's over 5k why not.
    Very interesting, thanks for this. Looks like they could do the job for high value items (as long as one chooses their insurance service).

From their Ts&Cs (https://www.speedlinktc.com/about/co...of-carriage/):
    6 SpeedLink's Liability

SpeedLink contracts with Shipper on the basis that SpeedLink's liability is strictly limited to direct loss only and to the per kilo/Ib limits in this Section 6. All other types of loss or damage are excluded (including but not limited to lost profits, income, interest, future business), whether such loss or damage is special or indirect, and even if the risk of such loss or damage was brought to SpeedLink's attention before or after acceptance of the Shipment since special risks can be insured by Shipper. If a Shipment combines carriage by air, road or other mode of transport, it shall be presumed that any loss or damage occurred during the air period of such carriage unless proven otherwise. SpeedLink's liability in respect of any one Shipment transported, without prejudice to Sections 7-11, is limited to its actual cash value and shall not exceed the greater of:

£UK 100 or:

£UK 1.00/kilogram or

£UK 0.50/lb for Shipments transported by air or other non-road mode of transportation; or

£UK 1.00/kilogram or

£UK 0.50/lb for Shipments transported by road.

Claims are limited to one claim per Shipment settlement of which will be full and final settlement for all loss or damage in connection therewith. If Shipper regards these limits as insufficient it must make a special declaration of value and request insurance as described in Section 8 (Shipment Insurance) or make its own insurance arrangements, failing which Shipper assumes all risks of loss or damage.

[...]

8 Shipment Insurance

SpeedLink can arrange insurance for Shipper covering the actual cash value in respect of loss of or physical damage to the Shipment, provided the Shipper completes the insurance section on the front of the waybill or requests it via SpeedLink's call centre and pays the applicable premium. Shipment insurance does not cover indirect loss or damage, or loss or damage caused by delays.
    In other words, their own compensation liability is very limited. In order to have proper compensation/insurance one must remember to ask for insurance at the time of booking.

Still hasnt turned up.

Just looked at the RM site and I can lodge a claim on 28th Dec.

Im not holding out much hope of getting anything back but its worth a try I guess.

Lesson learned - wont be sending by signed for again.

Still hasnt turned up.

Im not holding out much hope of getting anything back but its worth a try I guess.

I had something turn up once after two weeks. Never lose hope ian.

Yep i sent the Seiko Astron i sold via RMSD its delayed by a day the Buyer is a really patient and polite chap He even turned down My offer to refund Him some monies.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Yep i sent the Seiko Astron i sold via RMSD its delayed by a day the Buyer is a really patient and polite chap He even turned down My offer to refund Him some monies.
    If rmsd is late you can make a claim and they give you a full refund on the postage. Should be enough to pay for 3.6 pints in your local hostelry (uk average, prices in darlington may vary)

Still hasnt turned up.

I am sure it will arrive, money is waiting in PP for you

Worst time of year to send a package.

I missed a delivery and asked for it to be redelivered a week ago.......still waiting.

I am sure yours will turn up, eventually.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Fingers crossed for you, it’s just the time of year (hopefully).

The whole thing is a scam Royal Mail counter staff are still accepting packages but denying that there are any delays to the RMSD service i am awaiting a parcel myself and i sent two via this service and both were delayed likewise i am not expecting My parcel today.

I haven't given up all hope.

A watch box that I posted at the some time first class signed for arrived today.

Hopefully the watch will be landing tomorrow?

I haven't given up all hope.

A watch box that I posted at the some time first class signed for arrived today.

Hopefully the watch will be landing tomorrow?
    Looks like it arrived!! :)

Hooray!

No more signed for delivery for me though - SD only from now on.

Master
    Glad it arrived
    We took the bold step today to hold back some letter and instruct all packets to be delivered- when I left today we were clear of all packets on hand - hope everyone gets everything that's in transit
    In 30 odd years I've never been in this situation a day or so before Christmas- the business has way underestimated the volume of packages this year- we think numbers are 35% over forecast

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Glad it arrived
    We took the bold step today to hold back some letter and instruct all packets to be delivered- when I left today we were clear of all packets on hand - hope everyone gets everything that's in transit
    In 30 odd years I've never been in this situation a day or so before Christmas- the business has way underestimated the volume of packages this year- we think numbers are 35% over forecast
    Only going to increase too. Seems like many delivery companies are behind the curve. I know lots of disappointed people with delayed parcels from UK Mail and Yodel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Only going to increase too. Seems like many delivery companies are behind the curve. I know lots of disappointed people with delayed parcels from UK Mail and Yodel.

Got a package I wanted. Didn't get it in one peice though

Dragged across the floor maybe? Went through the letter, through the buble wrap and through the chrome!

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    The whole thing is a scam Royal Mail counter staff are still accepting packages but denying that there are any delays to the RMSD service i am awaiting a parcel myself and i sent two via this service and both were delayed likewise i am not expecting My parcel today.
    Sent and received a RMSD this week, and both made it to/from the Highlands of Scotland the next day

Had a none RMSD parcel arrive today, a day late, and delivered opened! Fortunately everything was present and correct.

Great to hear that the OP’s issue has resolved itself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Glad it arrived
    Very interesting. We received no letters at home in Cricklewood today (and it would normally be a rare day not to get any letters) and I wondered why so it seems that Cricklewood DO did the same.

Any ideas on the sources of all the packages? eBay, Amazon and other online vendors?

Can anyone beat this......

Our Postie now delivers our mail at 1730 Forget sending anything back by return of post!
    Good job that 2nd delivery got killed off years ago.