closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polishing 5513 acrylic what not to do.

Master

Polishing 5513 acrylic what not to do.

My 5513 had a small scratch on the crystal which was just visible to the naked eye so looked up how best to deal with it. Googles reply was polywatch, other options included brasso, duraglit and toothpaste. Having used toothpaste before with satisfactory results I reached out for the brasso and witin a couple of minutes the scratch was gone and looking good under a 10x loupe. So pleased was I that the watch was marched outdoors to be photographed in the winter sun with phone camera set to macro. TBF the resulting pic below is not visible to the naked eye but once seen cannot be unseen. Polywatch is now on order.

Master
    All these things are fixable even if it has to be sent away.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    My 5513 had a small scratch on the crystal which was just visible to the naked eye so looked up how best to deal with it. Googles reply was polywatch, other options included brasso, duraglit and toothpaste. Having used toothpaste before with satisfactory results I reached out for the brasso and witin a couple of minutes the scratch was gone and looking good under a 10x loupe. So pleased was I that the watch was marched outdoors to be photographed in the winter sun with phone camera set to macro. TBF the resulting pic below is not visible to the naked eye but once seen cannot be unseen. Polywatch is now on order.

A tip on using polywatch... I always apply the polywatch with a clean cotton pad that my wife uses for makeup removal and since the cotton fiber is really fine and they're guaranteed clean they work perfectly.

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk

Master
    Yep, polywatch will sort it, good job it was just an old one so no harm done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Cracking advice bobdog. Thinking of removing the crystal and polishing the old lumpy lume markers. Would 60 grit sandpaper be good to start with ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Cracking advice bobdog. Thinking of removing the crystal and polishing the old lumpy lume markers. Would 60 grit sandpaper be good to start with ?

Master
    Yep, should be ok just don’t do it twice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously? I hope you have a steady hand, can clean up all the micro bits on the watch face etc. Surely send it away for such detailed work?

T-Cut (neutral) works perfectly for me.

Grand Master
    Wet and dry paper (2000 followed by 3000 grit), used wet, wrapped aroud a small flat hard rubber block, followed by Autosol metal polish on a soft cloth. Finally finish off with polywatch. It’ll look worse before it looks better but this method gets the best results. A spot of washing up liquid in the water will help with the initial work. Always best to mask the bezel with tape too.

Using polywatch alone will only get the fine scratches out. It’ll soften the edges of the deeper ones and make the crystal look better, but it won’t get it looking like new.

Paul