closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lidl Powerbank starter ?

Master

Lidl Powerbank starter ?

These are on this weeks offers. Has anyone any experience of them, I’m tempted but don’t want to waste £40. I’m looking at worst case a 2.0 petrol startup

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...articleId=8921

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    These are on this weeks offers. Has anyone any experience of them, I’m tempted but don’t want to waste £40. I’m looking at worst case a 2.0 petrol startup

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...articleId=8921
    Well, lets say your car needs/has a battery with a CCA ( cold crank amps ) of 500 amps, roughly. Your battery is a bit old so lets say it's down to 400 CCA. It still starts your car on a cold morning. Now lets get to the device, it has an 8000 ma ( miliamp ) battery, so 80amps, it is also advertised ( i would like to test that claim...but ok if that's what they say ) with a 200a "pulse". You see the difference? 200 vs 400.... to sum up, no, i can't see that device working on a freezing cold December morning.
    It would however depend on how "flat" your car battery is, if your starter was turning, but too slow to fire the engine, those extra 200a from that device might be enough.
    I would also be cautious about cranking for more than say 5 seconds with one of those connected to your car.

Craftsman
    Pay a bit more and get a higher CCA. I got 650a unit from Amazon that starts my 3 litre petrol. Not tested completely flat though. Got that for £43 6 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

We have two of this type of thing, both 8000ma, one from Britparts, one from Amazon. Have used both in anger *several times and they are brilliant - Both have started up to 2 litre with a flat battery BUT as said above, the engine must be ready to go when you plug these in to the battery - they will not churn over an engine (thats when the wires melt)for long periods. Since these come with a 3 year warranty it would seem to be worth a try...

*The joys of old cars stored away from home...

Craftsman
    I have something very similar. Never had to use it on my car.
    I take it out on my jetski, just in case the battery dies.

It works fine for a smaller jetski battery. Not so sure it will do many turns on a high compression engine in a car.

Craftsman
    8000 mAh describes the capacity - the battery can supply 8A for one hour, or 16A for half an hour, etc.

The maximum current it says is 200A, or 25 x the standard capacity per hour. That’s quite high, but normal for decent cells.

The issue is that if you drain the battery at 8A it might last for 2000~3000 cycles (full to flat is 1 cycle). If you use it at 200A you may only get 50 cycles out of it, high current = high heat (inside the cell) and heat is the worst enemy of the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It’s only since I started looking I have found a huge array of makes and claims of how effective they are !

Not much will work on my 5.5l petrol one, I've stopped looking.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Carry TWO.

Master
    I've tried three of these (different makes/models) from ebay and the specs quoted are a total lie! I was using them to try and power a 12V device. Now working from the specs then the booster pack SHOULD have powered the device for about three months and I measured the current drawn and voltage to the device and this confirmed that it should power for at least 3 months. In all cases I found they wouldn't power for even a week! When I did some proper tests on the power banks by dumping into some resistors the results confirmed that the actual energy capacity was NOTHING like the quoted specs. My measurements showed that you would probably start a typical petrol car couple of times but that's it but, tbh, that's probably all the average user wants. I complained to the ebay sellers that their specs were a load of lies and they all simply refunded me.