closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Exporting a car from UK to Spain

Exporting a car from UK to Spain

My father in law has permanently moved from the UK to Spain. He has taken his UK registered car with him, but not told the DVLA.

The vehicle tax is due for renewal. His UK mail is redirected to me, which is why I am now involved. My first port of call was https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

That says:

If you’ve already left the UKYou’ll need to get a V561 certificate of permanent export. Apply for one using form V756. The address to send it to is on the form.

So, going to https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rmanent-export it says:

Use this form to apply for a Certificate of Permanent Export(V561) if you do not have the Registration Certificate (V5C)and have an overseas address
    It doesn't, as far as I can see, say what to do if you already have an overseas address AND still have the V5C. So what to do? Fill out form V756 and pretend he dosn't have the V5C?

Can you phone them? Were quite helpful when my father died.

It's not a DAF is it ?

Sorry........

My dad did this, no firm constructive advice here but, tell the DVLA, tell the Spanish department for transport, get it re-registered and an IVA (Spanish MOT) and job done, I know it isn’t overly onerous or overly expensive, just tell your father in law to get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that if the vehicle has been out of the UK for more than 6 months and he's using it regularly then he needs to export it ASAP to ensure that he continues to be properly insured. I've done it between the EU and UK both ways a few times, it was relatively straightforward with a Certificate of Conformity but usually involved paying for some local tests and taxes. Give the DVLA a call on 0300 790 6802 for advice.

Wait until Brexit, will be a lot easier.

Master
    Spain is 17 different provinces and every province has different laws on everything except the rate of VAT. Therefore it is dangerous to take the experience of someone else who could be living in a different province to your father has being valid advice, it almost certainly will be incorrect advice and this is why the streets of Spain are cluttered with lawyers. Linking one provinces laws to another province is a lucrative business.

I am in Andalucia and in this province you can only keep a British plated car with British MOTs and Tax in Spain for no more than 13 weeks in any given year (Jan-Dec). If someone is found to have exceeded the limit, the penalties are severe. Stopping British plated cars in coastal areas is quite a lucrative past time for the local Guadia who retain all the fines.

The risk you are taking to tax his car is low but he will be hammered if it comes to light.

If his car is over here for more than 13 weeks then it must be registered in Spain and taxed in Spain by the local town hall (everything is local in Spain).

Basically your FIL is keeping quiet about using his UK registered taxed car and wearing out Spanish roads. Thousands do it and get away with it but many get caught.

There are lots of agencies in Spain that will handle all the paperwork to re register his car. His best bet is to say he has just driven it over and go from there.

I have a Spanish registered car which I keep in Spain and the running costs of tax and insurance are way cheaper than the British equivalent. So unless he wants to drive a RH car on LH roads and pay more tax and insurance, he may as well go legit.

All this only applies to Andalucia.