closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The best ever piece of motoring journalism online and free.

The best ever piece of motoring journalism online and free.

For your delectation, Denis Jenkinson's 1955 Mille Miglia report in Motor Sport magazine, the best ever* piece of motoring journalism:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...s-mille-miglia

The Motor Sport archive is a bit addictive though, have a look at Simon Taylor's 'lunch with...' interviews, or any features by Nigel Roebuck, Chris Nixon's feature on Rudi Uhlenhaut, the list goes on (and on and on and on and...). There's a relatively cheap copy of Jenks's stories on eBay here:

*hopefully Autocar will put Sammy Davis's report from the 1927 Le Mans online soon. He was sports editor for Autocar and won Le Mans in a Bentley in '27 after almost writing off the car in a first-lap crash. Journalists who can both write and drive are few and far between! His book 'Motor Racing' on his racing career is superb, cheap copy on eBay: 332464891033

"A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    For your delectation, Denis Jenkinson's 1955 Mille Miglia report in Motor Sport magazine, the best ever* piece of motoring journalism:

The Motor Sport archive is a bit addictive though, have a look at Simon Taylor's 'lunch with...' interviews, or any features by Nigel Roebuck, Chris Nixon's feature on Rudi Uhlenhaut, the list goes on (and on and on and on and...). There's a relatively cheap copy of Jenks's stories on eBay here:

*hopefully Autocar will put Sammy Davis's report from the 1927 Le Mans online soon. He was sports editor for Autocar and won Le Mans in a Bentley in '27 after almost writing off the car in a first-lap crash. Journalists who can both write and drive are few and far between! His book 'Motor Racing' on his racing career is superb, cheap copy on eBay: 332464891033

Wow! Great find! I love the way Jenkinson writes about 'Mercédès' Somehow, it looks a lot nicer than 'Daimler Benz' (and their current line-up of hidious models...).

This pic should be catapulted into the top-5 motoring photos of all time. Iconic hands, iconic dash and an iconic achievement captured in one picture!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

Wow! Great find! I love the way Jenkinson writes about 'Mercédès' Somehow, it looks a lot nicer than 'Daimler Benz' (and their current line-up of hidious models...).

This pic should be catapulted into the top-5 motoring photos of all time. Sir Sterling's (iconic )hands at the wheel, iconic dash and an iconic achievement captured in one picture!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saved to read later, the speeds Moss went seem insane especially through towns and villages.

Many thanks for posting this.

I have a print of that picture from LAT, who own the Motor Sport photo archive. They have some huge photo albums made up each year in the 1950s and into the 1960s, full of small photos from each shoot their photographers went on. And the mix is great, there'll be a continental grand prix followed by a hillclimb somewhere in England, then a VSCC meet at Brooklands or wherever, then the Targa Florio and so on with all kinds of motorsport covered. I used to make up reasons to go and sit at LAT looking through the books of images.

The picture reference for that shot is 1955MOSSHANDS.jpg and you should be able to buy a print here: https://lat.mediastorehouse.com/

Edit: I should add for the purposes of clarity that while I do work with but not for LAT, I have no particular desire to advertise their wares here, I just added the picture info in case anyone wants a print...
    Last edited by Foxy100; 15th December 2017 at 17:41.

Moss and Jenks did the Mille Miglia in a Maserati in 1956 although it didn't go quite as well. That piece is here:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...le-miglia-moss

Here's another link that's worth a look (IMO): Stirling Moss and Denis Jenkinson in the Mille Miglia.

And, if anyone can find the final episode of BBC2's Theatre 625 (s5 e26) that aired on 5 August 1968, Mille miglia directed by Robin Midgley (IMDb, BBC) I'd very much like to get a copy, please.