closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Collection - the next stage?

Collection - the next stage?

So I have done a SOTC for this year and have have had a number of new additions but having met a forum member in Bury for a coffee and chat he said your collection and collecting habits will change as you are still new to the hobby.

He was right! Taking stock last night and looking over all my watches I have worked out now I am on a rotation of 3 and a Quartz as a 4th less used.

There is a good number of watches I have bought with just the idea of trying them yet now they get no time on the wrist at all. Then there are the sentimental ones that in all honesty too small nowadays.

What is the next step? Do I sell up and keep the 4 (sentimental must stay)?

Most of the watches I now don't wear are relatively inexpensive e.g. Under £300.

My rotation has settled on the following:

Sub 14060m
    Seamaster 2254
    Omega Speedmaster

With a Breitling Aerospace as well.

I'm a confused collectors please help! When I see the watches I still love them yet they just don't get the wear at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted a new Doxa earlier this year, so I sold 5 watches of lesser value to buy it. I simultaneously 'traded up' and reduced my overall watch count by 4.

That seemed to me a good move on both counts...

Simon

Grand Master
    OP’s clearly a fan of black-dialled steel divers and chronos, which all tend to look similar IMO.

I’d advise looking at completely different styles and smaller watches! Diversity is the key, don’t get drawn into the ‘forum favourite ‘ mentality.

The most interesting area for collecting is vintage watches, and I don’t mean the Rolex Subs and Omega Speedmasters that look far too similar to the recent models to be interesting.

Dare to be different, don’t follow the herd, and don’t worry if you don’t wear a watch very often. Most of my vintage Omegas don’t get much wear but I’m still happy to own them.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 15th December 2017 at 18:01.

Craftsman
    i personally wouldn't keep things I don't wear, but thats just me. Do you need to money? if not then whats the harm?

as for what next, only you can answer that! I wouldn't say you need to diversify, by all means try different things, but not because you feel like you have to.

I think Paul is right on my current tastes and also I love the advice of daring to be different. But I feel I am still lacking knowledge on vintage and what vintage are good to own.

Master
    Welcome to the club; anguish is the entry fee. Nobody here can give you advice, they are all in the same boat. So, just keep rowing......

Master
    Personally I prefer fewer more expensive watches that I make use of than many that struggle to get wrist time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Personally I prefer more expensive watches that I make use of than many that struggle to get wrist time.
    Yes I'll go with that ;-)

Personally I prefer fewer more expensive watches that I make use of than many that struggle to get wrist time.
    That is what I have gravitated to. Yet I seem then to rule out so many other watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    That is what I have gravitated to. Yet I seem then to rule out so many other watches.

What do you mean by ruling out other watches? Ones in your current collection or ones to buy? I have a daily tool type watch, a smart watch for weddings, a watch for more active situations and 2 sentimental very low value watches. At most I have took for one more nice watch for some variety such as a iwc pilot or
    Speedy etc. That’s my lot though, 4 nice watches. Any more and they would not get used enough. I think multiple straps (leather, rubber, bracelets etc) is the way I may go which will make the watches feel new and make my modest collection more versatile.

Craftsman
    this is what I keep aiming for, eyes bigger than my budget right now though! keep being tempted by 2-3k pieces as a stop gap, but managing to resist for now!

Stick to what you know and enjoy it. Your rotation is a great mix. Sell the rest!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Stick to what you know and enjoy it. Your rotation is a great mix. Sell the rest!
    But then I'd have more watch money... and another incoming search would start....

...That’s my lot though, 4 nice watches. Any more and they would not get used enough...
    You do know there are seven days in a week, don't you?!

....and 14 days in a fortnight...30-odd days in a month...

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    You do know there are seven days in a week, don't you?!

....and 14 days in a fortnight...30-odd days in a month...

Simon
    Ha! I’ll have to keep that in mind for justifying purchases to the wife.

I’ve stopped trying to justify a number. Every time I think I’ve got enough, I see something else I like, and the wife tells me to buy it

Craftsman
    But then I'd have more watch money... and another incoming search would start....

i'm not seeing the problem with that situation!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I’ve stopped trying to justify a number. Every time I think I’ve got enough, I see something else I like, and the wife tells me to buy it
    Lucky man!

See here's the problem I face I got to the draw now and start taking some pictures to sell some off and then I start oh this can't go and this is nice!

Hence now on the wrist

Well, it’s not a problem if you’re realising that you like the watches you didn’t quite realise you liked...

[....] I'm a confused collectors please help! When I see the watches I still love them yet they just don't get the wear at all!
    Well, that's easy enough to solve; just get rid of everything non-Rolex and you're sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Well, it’s not a problem if you’re realising that you like the watches you didn’t quite realise you liked...
    It's been on my wrist most of the weekend. And this was the first one I looked at for the chop. Not now I guess.

Looks like my question has been answered I should open the drawer more often and realise why I bought them.

Craftsman
    In my opinion you need something entirely different to what you currently have, something like a grand reverso with a white dial.. or something in yellow gold, maybe get rid of the 14060 and switch to a 16613?

Master
    What is the next step? Do I sell up and keep the 4 (sentimental must stay)?
    I wonder anyone can help with that other than yourself? I read another thread on here where people had bought, sold, then rebought the same watch, sometimes more than once. I'd never considered that possibility, but on reflection it seems very possible. If tastes are still changing, are being established over time, or just that some of the pieces being worn are new, and eventually you will come back to the others. Everyone will be different.

At least as far as you still really like this (and especially if they would be hard to replace) I'd hang onto them. If you could easily pick them up again perhaps sell on and see how you go. But it's a really individual thing I imagine, and everyone's right answer will be different.

Thinking the seiko I have is on the letting go so may use those funds to experience some cheaper watches and operating a 1 in 1 out for a bit to broaden my knowledge and experience