closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on this Rolex please?

Thoughts on this Rolex please?

I posted a thread on this previously and got fairly slated so I post this with some trepidation.

But, I'm interested in it but know very little about vintage Rolex (if 1992 can be classed as vintage). If anyone is able to comment on originality about this I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mouldie View Post
    I posted a thread on this previously and got fairly slated so I post this with some trepidation.

But, I'm interested in it but know very little about vintage Rolex (if 1992 can be classed as vintage). If anyone is able to comment on originality about this I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Steve

Is that an aftermarket crystal, the date magnification doesn't look too hot.

The hands don't match the plots too good either

Craftsman
    agree the mag looks odd.

Thanks Gents, maybe time for me to put this one to bed. I like the idea of an older watch but it seems a potential minefield (and an expensive one too!).

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Is that an aftermarket crystal, the date magnification doesn't look too hot.
    The magnification on GMT's is poop relative to the subs, and sapphires allways seem to have less manification than plexi.
    All down to the distance of the lens from the date wheel.

Craftsman
    You can get steel GMT Master and Master IIs for 6k with box and papers. The plus on the msteel bezel models is changing the bezel insert. Just got mine done at Rolex St James yesterday for the princely sum of £37.

But agree that for the money you are starting to get near to new watch territory and should look at that as an option.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Also to add for some reason the lume on the hands does age differently, but they could also be service replacements.

Master
    Save yourself a load of money and buy the explorer 2 next to it

The Exp2 is the cheapest I’ve seen in a shop pre owned. Not a bad price at all.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    The magnification on GMT's is poop relative to the subs, and sapphires allways seem to have less manification than plexi.
    All down to the distance of the lens from the date wheel.
    Thanks, yes when you see pictures of old Submariners the magnification looks huge, but on the Watch pictured it almost looked as though there was no magnification at all. I have seen the same effect on a Sub when an aftermarket crystal was used rather than a genuine Rolex one just to freshen up the watch before sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Thanks, yes when you see pictures of old Submariners the magnification looks huge, but on the Watch pictured it almost looked as though there was no magnification at all. I have seen the same effect on a Sub when an aftermarket crystal was used rather than a genuine Rolex one just to freshen up the watch before sale.
    You would have to see it in person, because date magnifcation can be affected by the factors i mentioned, and can be further compounded by distance of camera lens for the crystal, angle of the lens etc. (i have a wrist shot somewhere, where a 16710s magnification is absolutely terrrible)

example date widows taken by me that show the amount they can vary by, and how much smaller the GMT magnification is.

Master
    Is that Market Cross Jewellers and if so has anyone bought from them ?
    I've perused their Window more than Once when I've been in the North East, they always have plenty of stock.