TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake Rolex dealer jailed ...

Fake Rolex dealer jailed ...

… and wife given suspended sentence

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...iled-1-8290167

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Terence Donovan is also Jason Donovan’s dad and he was in neighbours too. Can’t comfirm if it’s the same guy though

I can confirm that Jason's dad is not 58
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    A guy on gumtree in Sheffield has just about every model for sale. Maybe he'll face the same fate. Shouldn't be hard to catch

What we should really do is put a stop to those that manufacture fakes and maybe even those that buy fakes (talking about the 50$ Rolex, obviously).

Craftsman
    Problem is in China they don’t recognize copyright. So they can lawfully copy anything they want. Selling it over her however is another matter.

Journeyman
    He must have sold quite a few at £250 to make 76k! Surely no-one bought one thinking it was real at that price..

Quote Originally Posted by murtz View Post
    He must have sold quite a few at £250 to make 76k! Surely no-one bought one thinking it was real at that price..
    Sadly they will probably have sold them for a lot more than £250.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    Problem is in China they don’t recognize copyright. So they can lawfully copy anything they want. Selling it over her however is another matter.
    Copyright law in China isn't much different to the UK.

Enforcement differs,
    but has increased significantly in recent years.

Craftsman
    surely most people buying fakes know they are fakes?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Copyright law in China isn't much different to the UK.

Enforcement differs,
    but has increased significantly in recent years.
    Correct. That fact that they do turn a blind eye is that unemployment would sky rocket if they started to enforce it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    You'd hope so right? Seriously can't see anyone, no matter how ignorant, thinking they can get a genuine Rolex for £250!

Master
    Yeah, but it looks as though he was claiming there were really genuine, which is of course a form of fraud. I guess it he'd said they were fakes, he'd be OK criminally, though Rolex wouldn't be happy. There again, did any punter really believe they were getting a real Rolex for £250???

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Correct. That fact that they do turn a blind eye is that unemployment would sky rocket if they started to enforce it.
    I'm sounding like a pedant I know, but they have started to enforce it, just inconsistently. For instance, Alibaba have had to make significant changes to demonstrate they are taking fakers seriously, including some senior people losing their jobs.

Of course it is still a widespread problem, and it will take years to really fix (and only once it is truly in the Party's interest).

Here's just one of the many many so called "Replica Sites " that openly advertise FAKE high end watches.Some of the prices defy belief there are actually one or two who modify these pieces to further add to the deception ,the one question i ask is why go to all that trouble to try and make a fake watch look genuine then advertise it as a fake ?
    https://forum.replica-watch.info/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    ,the one question i ask is why go to all that trouble to try and make a fake watch look genuine then advertise it as a fake ?
    Being (vaguely) legal and not being fraudulent?

Master
    If he had just stuck to popular Rolexes judge couldn't have given him the affecting legitimate businesses routine, Rolex can't even nearly meet the demand, rather these guys are doing that, lol.

Apprentice
    I’ve frequently seen ads for “real” Rolex watches for $175 USD on Facebook, if you read them in detail they don’t say they are replicas (although they give the actual “pre-sale” price as $1,500!) Believing such ads (or the clown mentioned in the news story) is like believing that that famous Nigerian prince has left you millions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by teb1013 View Post
    .........................that famous Nigerian prince has left you millions.
    Wow, then you and I must be related if he's left you £millions too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I'm sounding like a pedant I know, but they have started to enforce it, just inconsistently. For instance, Alibaba have had to make significant changes to demonstrate they are taking fakers seriously, including some senior people losing their jobs.

Of course it is still a widespread problem, and it will take years to really fix (and only once it is truly in the Party's interest).
    Not sounding like a pedant at all, and you are correct. But, there is a big but. They are only hitting certain targets for show.

For instance, as you say, Alibaba has been hit because it is a globally recognised business. Jack Ma also own Taobao as well, China's biggest online B2C selling platform. This site openly sells fake everything and hasn't even had a sniff from the government. Well, as far as we know anyway.

You can buy pretty much anything you like from Taobao, and I mean anything. I know of someone who bought a baby crocodile from the site and kept it in his bath. The dumb f**k didn't quite understand how quickly (and big) they grow, and ended up slinging it in a nearby lake!!!

So, you may hear noise, but it's not much more than that I'm afraid.

Journeyman
    Making 76k from £250 sales makes it around 300 dumbos. Sounds pretty reasonable when you put it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I'm not sure as big a percentage of employment in an economy four times the size of the UK's depends on intellectual property theft as you think ...

I would bet that turning a blind eye is more likely due to the civil service having other priorities (housing shortages in major cities, unprecedented rapid urbanisation, meeting public health and education needs, etc). Intellectual property rights is important sure, and is essential to a vibrant economy in the long run, but if you look at pillars of economic development, stuff like housing, clean water, and education is more fundamental.

Journeyman
    Some people can’t afford the real thing, so want a good fake. I’d rather save up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    There's a lot of thick dumbos out there who would not know.
    I guess the answer is that in the real world, normal rational human beings would consider £250 an outrageously large amount to spend on a watch, so they might well have thought it was a genuine...

Craftsman
    It’s not just online is it, I was in Cyprus not so long ago and every shop was selling €20 Rolex watches, €5 rayban sunglasses and €15 beats headphones. I had 5 pairs of wayfarers with me (I like my wayfarers and watches) and I’d imagine 99% of people assumed I’d picked them up from a local store for pennies. I can spot a fake pair at 20 paces (normally) but most people are happy to wear fakes.
    I wear nice watches to work everyday and 50% of people openly admit they would wear a fake because they are ‘just as good’. It’s five past three right? Same time on my £10 Casio and my iPhone, so why did you spend £8k on that Rolex again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I guess the answer is that in the real world, normal rational human beings would consider £250 an outrageously large amount to spend on a watch, so they might well have thought it was a genuine...
    I imagine very few people have any idea what a rolex costs other than that it is expensive. But I feel that most would know that it would be more than £250 given the reputation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murtz View Post
    He was investigated "following complaints from customers" so it looks like at least a few people did.

I think on watch forums like this, full of enthusiasts very vocal about fakes, we lose sight of the fact that a large percentage of the population would happily buy fakes, from tshirts to high end watches and everything in between, maybe it’s because everyone loves a bargain and most just don’t care, after all it’s a victimless crime right? And Rolex, Adidas, Ralph Lauren and all can afford it as they rip us all off and use child labour.
    Faking is going to carry on as long as people buy them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    A guy on gumtree in Sheffield has just about every model for sale. Maybe he'll face the same fate. Shouldn't be hard to catch
    The sale of fake Rolex watches (and every other "designer" product) is in absolutely epidemic proportions on Gumtree. I've reported many but it's a complete waste of time. They delete less than half and those that are deleted simply reappear - under the same username.

If you are a sollicitor, accountant or numerous other professions, you are under a legal obligation to report the very merest suspicion of criminal activity. Why Gumtree aren't subject to the same rules who knows. The fact that they don't even delete the accounts of counterfeit goods sellers is, frankly, mindblowing. If you were running a business would you be content to be making money from criminals?
    Last edited by David_D; 17th December 2017 at 23:25. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Faking is going to carry on as long as people buy them.
    Or until the law enforcement agencies (and listing site owners) start taking it seriously.

Craftsman
    There will always be an outlet for the goods, online is just convenient. Bootsales, pub car parks, snooker halls, they are quiet these days but used to be the place to go for counterfeit and stolen goods.

Not just Rolex.

This ex-teacher has just been jailed after making £300,000 selling fake Pandora stuff.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/16/ex-tea...-scam-7164349/
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Here's just one of the many many so called "Replica Sites " that openly advertise FAKE high end watches.Some of the prices defy belief there are actually one or two who modify these pieces to further add to the deception ,the one question i ask is why go to all that trouble to try and make a fake watch look genuine then advertise it as a fake ?
    Given that you've been to the site and had a nosey about you can see that for some folk it's a lot more than just a 'fake' watch. There is a genuine passion for the little details that make a piece unique, or in replicating the patination of a vintage watch. For some more a creative hobby, for some it's a collecting hobby for magpies like the rest of his that like shiny things that we really don't need.

I know an oldish bloke at work who wanted to buy a Rolex for his daughter for her birthday, asked my opinion of what to get but would only go up to £500 had to break it to him that he wouldn't get near one for that. It's his type that would buy the fake for £250 and I think genuinely believe it to be real
    Just a view point on people surely can't believe they're getting a real one for £250, I think there are a lot of folk out there that probably wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    ...Rolex can't even nearly meet the demand...
    There is no doubt they could if they wished. But if they did that they couldn't charge the premium they currently do. Scarcity is used to maintain the elevated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    I'm not sure as big a percentage of employment in an economy four times the size of the UK's depends on intellectual property theft as you think
    Then you'd probably be surprised at the size of IP theft here, and the subsequent effect on unemployment if it were enforced with any real seriousness.

Do I know facts and numbers? No of course not. But I do live and breathe it every day. It effects my business and many many other friends businesses here.

Master
    The biggest problem you guys face is not a fake Rolex, but the fake original papers that go with them. A fake original paper can add around £1k to a genuine vintage Sub and printing a fake document that would even fool an AD is commonplace.

So when you next look at your Rolex that you bought off someone else, how do you know the original papers are genuine?

Even the seller might have bought it off someone who also thought it was genuine and you have paid over the odds for the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The biggest problem you guys face is not a fake Rolex, but the fake original papers that go with them. A fake original paper can add around £1k to a genuine vintage Sub and printing a fake document that would even fool an AD is commonplace.

So when you next look at your Rolex that you bought off someone else, how do you know the original papers are genuine?

Even the seller might have bought it off someone who also thought it was genuine and you have paid over the odds for the privilege.
    You’re flogging a dead horse there Mick; Haywood’s been staying that fact for as long as I can remember but most WTB threads (Rolex particularly) will only consider sets with b&p.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You’re flogging a dead horse there Mick; Haywood’s been staying that fact for as long as I can remember but most WTB threads (Rolex particularly) will only consider sets with b&p.
    Dave, Yes I have to agree with you 100%. It is almost a taboo subject. WIS's will discuss the fake watches and admit the subject is scary but even though they are a lot more likely to be the victim of a fake paper scam, they just ignore it as if it does not happen.

To put it into scale, an average pallet load of 90 GSM paper will hold around 90,000 A4 sheets. If you allow four fake papers per A4 sheet, that is 360,000 fakes. They all go somewhere.

Scary indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    I've handled a fake Rolex, they are surprisingly good. The one I handled would fool 99% of people.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Craftsman
    ‘Some’ are surprisingly good I agree. Not all.