closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chappattis

Chappattis

Anyone make chappattis or any other flatbreads at home? Got any tips?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Got a few tips, off the top of my head -

find proper chapati flour and avoid normal flour; you can use a mix with gram flour but not really necessary.
    For the grease, my mum uses rapeseed oil instead of butter
    The water - not boiling, but warm
    Make sure the dough once kneaded is covered and rested for at least 10/15 mins, but i prefer 25-30 mins,
    A key point - when cooking them, you really need a tava/tawa, a frying pan just doesn't work in getting them nice and puffy.

I got a recipe at home, but most general ones say on the bbc website are fine in terms of ratios etc.

Send some round mine for expert assessment.
    Expert on eating btw, not cooking!

Craftsman
    I’m also an expert when it come to eating them :)

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Anyone make chappattis or any other flatbreads at home? Got any tips?
    IIRC Eddie has mentioned that he does.

I'm rather partial to Aish Baladi, the middle eastern flatbread which is similar to pita but made with whole wheat. Watching it being made is a pleasure and it looks so simple, however my attempts at home have never achieved the same taste and texture ;-(

(Of course, I blame my oven). ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

5 post in and not a single recipe link...

SWMBO makes naan bread and they're heavier and more leaden than anything I can think of. I haven't the heart to tell her.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

SWMBO makes naan bread and they're heavier and more leaden than anything I can think of. I haven't the heart to tell her.
    I'll post the one I have when I get home, but as i said in terms of ratios and basic steps most of the stuff on the beeb are fine. I think I've highlighted the key stuff above.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    now that is the proper way to make them! Reminds me of being at home when I was little (not that I lived with Eddie!). Only thing I would add is that having a flame (i.e. gas hob) makes them puff up better. In India they are always cooked over an open flame - that's how they get them to puff up and get parts of it slightly scorched.

Grand Master
    They look fine to me, next time I`m in Sheffield I`ll pop in for my tea.......only joking Eddie

Might have a try at making some myself. I used to do a fair bit of Asian cooking, I made nice onion bhajis but cooking them stunk the house out for 3 days!

Paul

I do hope she isn't a lurker here, my good fellow!

I would rather eat my takeaway curry with chapattis than a fork, btw. Naan bread is too heavy, although I enjoy eating the keema stuffed naan with a meat free curry sauce, broken up and put in the sauce much like an Indian soup with croutons.
    Last edited by bobbee; 14th December 2017 at 14:57. Reason: Spell check again <fume!>

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    IIRC Eddie has mentioned that he does.

R
    He certainly has: see Breads and Rice in The Ultimate Curry Resource...ain't search wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    They look fine to me, next time I`m in Sheffield I`ll pop in for my tea.......only joking Eddie

Might have a try at making some myself. I used to do a fair bit of Asian cooking, I made nice onion bhajis but cooking them stunk the house out for 3 days!

Paul
    If you can make a nice onion Bhaji get some on and I'll be round for tea!

To quote Roy Harper, 'You can do a clog dance on top of my chappati'.

Master
    I make them and the ingredients are wholemeal flour and water, that's it and that is a Madur Jaffrey recipe they are so so easy to make and taste and look great.
    Last edited by andy armitage; 14th December 2017 at 16:05.

I got good results using this, available from most supermarkets.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Last edited by PickleB; 14th December 2017 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    now that is the proper way to make them! Reminds me of being at home when I was little (not that I lived with Eddie!). Only thing I would add is that having a flame (i.e. gas hob) makes them puff up better. In India they are always cooked over an open flame - that's how they get them to puff up and get parts of it slightly scorched.

In the absence of a gas hob - use a portable induction hob (Tefal do one for around £45) useful for use outside in summer too, and work really well with cast iron skillets. Surface temp of the skillet reaches extremely high temp - quicker than gas.

Al

i've used a pizza stone and it works well with nans etc...

though the recipe said to stick them to the side of the oven... they havent seen my oven

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Only thing I would add is that having a flame (i.e. gas hob) makes them puff up better. In India they are always cooked over an open flame - that's how they get them to puff up and get parts of it slightly scorched.
    This plus a light glaze over with Lurpak or Anchor as the chapatti is taken off the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    This plus a light glaze over with Lurpak or Anchor as the chapatti is taken off the flame.
    Amul surely?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Amul surely?
    Haha. My family in India certainly. However, it is not a light glaze but a slice of butter and plus another in accompanying curry/shabzi etc.

Blog Entries
    try a yogurt flat bread, very refreshing with a hot curry.

Journeyman
    My wife has spotted the Rotimatic online. First robot roti maker. Not sure if it's genius or a complete waste of money...

Quote Originally Posted by murtz View Post
    My wife has spotted the Rotimatic online. First robot roti maker. Not sure if it's genius or a complete waste of money...
    I suppose it depends upon how persuasive you are / she is...and / or how much you value your marriage.

Net advice:

YouTube
    Guardian:

...An incredible timesaver then, but who for? Only people who make roti every day– ie Indian mothers, and given what I know about them, they are the last people who would use it. (“Why bother, when I can get up before dawn and do it myself?”) And there’s that distressing cacophony...

But you already knew that...didn't you?

Master
    I too was looking at one. Had my name on for 2 years but backed when my number came. Reviews have been mixed, tending towards negative. Apparently the whole set up weighs 25 Kgs! I will wait it out on this one.
    As far as making rotis are concerned, Pilsbury atta is my go to. My recipe is as follows - flour, salt to taste and water an knead into a smooth dough. The consistency of the dough is the tricky bit, my suggestion is the dough should be very lightly sticky when you press it, when you fold it it the "break" in the fold should not be a like a crack.I add carom seeds as well.
    Let it rest for the gluten to form, DON'T knead after letting it rest. Roll them out as in Eddie's pictures - mine are smaller. On the tawa for a 30sec each side and then on the open flame to make it puff up. Thank me later!

Journeyman
    I'm still thinking of getting it (partly because I do value my marriage.. partly because I can't say it's a waste of money when on the other hand I'll soon be spending £xxx grand on a watch!).

Also, They do a 30 day money back guarantee so I'll be sending it back if the negative reviews are spot on

Master
    I'm still thinking of getting it (partly because I do value my marriage.. partly because I can't say it's a waste of money when on the other hand I'll soon be spending £xxx grand on a watch!).

Also, They do a 30 day money back guarantee so I'll be sending it back if the negative reviews are spot on
    Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Keep us posted!
    Any chance of a comparison test too? Maybe with Sainsburys and eBay?

All you need is this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...sAAOSwdx1aLzHE

and a rolling pin.

Eddie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Any chance of a comparison test too? Maybe with Sainsburys and eBay?
    I do use the readymade Elephant ones when in a hurry. Not a patch on homemade one. I suspect the readymade ones have refined flour added - to make it softer. A opened pack does not spoil for 2 weeks outside the fridge - which makes me a bit suspicious about the ingredients! I used to use a cast iron tawa, now I have a prestige one which I bought on my last trip to india.

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    I do use the readymade Elephant ones when in a hurry. Not a patch on homemade one. I suspect the readymade ones have refined flour added - to make it softer. A opened pack does not spoil for 2 weeks outside the fridge - which makes me a bit suspicious about the ingredients! I used to use a cast iron tawa, now I have a prestige one which I bought on my last trip to india.
    Thanks for that advice. What material is your prestige tawa, please? Any chance of a picture?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Thanks for that advice. What material is your prestige tawa, please? Any chance of a picture?
    It is aluminium I think. Looks like this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Non-s...TQQ2WF8T9H52NJ
    Or you can try this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/India-Bazaa...YBPNTJ8PRY4J97

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    All you need is this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...sAAOSwdx1aLzHE

and a rolling pin.

Eddie
    I mentioned this in my initial post - a tava is absolutely critical in making a proper chapati.