closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake Rolex seller jailed for three years

Master

Wink Fake Rolex seller jailed for three years

A man who sold fake Rolex watches and other luxury branded goods will spend Christmas behind bars

He claimed they were ‘New and Genuine’ supplying the items complete with ‘Certificates of Authenticity’ in branded boxes.

Terrance Donovan (58), of Griffiths Court, Peterborough sold the fake goods on websites including eBay and Amazon for up to £250. His wife Elizabeth Genovese (57), of Green Lane, Yaxley pleaded guilty to transferring criminal property, namely £76,355.50, to a bank account held by Donovan.

Could you tell?

Last edited by J J Carter; 14th December 2017 at 08:54.

Craftsman
    Wow, maxi dial YM that’s a real find

Craftsman
    Sold them for up to £250 ? And customers thought they were real ??!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    That's the first thing that hit me.
    He must have sold a few to have £76k in funds

Craftsman
    GUMbay is awash with the blinking things amongst other things.....surprised the local TSO have not had a field day tbh

Craftsman
    I wonder how he would have got on if he never sold them as genuine.

Plus anyone who buys a £250 Rolex must be fully aware it's not genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    anyone who buys a £250 Rolex must be fully aware it's not genuine.
    Your assertion of this as fact is a useful illustration of how frequently people are frequently unaware of the boundaries of their ignorance.

To a lot of people £100 is a very expensive watch, and so it can seem reasonable to them that a famous name should cost 2.5 times that.

The benefit of selling to people that ill-informed is that they're much less likely to spot a fake. Low return, but low risk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post

Wouldn't surprise me with some people. You've only got to browse the 'watch out' or 'fake busters' parts of a couple of forums for some pure comedy gold.

Actually quite entertaining having a read through the threads every couple of months as they build up. You get some hilarious watches that people post up asking if it's real. They always give the same reply when the first answer is "absolute garbage" it'll be something along the lines of "can you be more specific as I want to be sure".

Thing is, outside of our online bubble it's easy to forget that joe bloggs on the street wouldn't know the difference.

For example my mrs knows a bit about watches and if she saw that 'rolex' above for £250 she'd say "what's wrong with it" but I could probably convince her it's genuine as it's got box & papers and maybe say they fell off the back of a lorry. Whereas we'd straight away know it's fake because of the price and no amount off chat would persuade otherwise. Used to see it years ago with designer brand clothing, before the net. One guy that used to work at the same place as me used to bring in designer stuff that had 'fallen off the back of a lorry' and the plonkers there would lap it up. Most of them had never held the real thing so didn't think any different. Can see it all now lol, hideous over seized base colour polo shirts with a Ralph Lauren logo whacked on & one of the guys there with an armful of it, eyes bulging telling me "it is real, he told me it fell off the back of a lorry"

As for having to sell a lot at £250, it's roughly selling 5 a day for a couple of months I guess. Not out of the realms of possibility with online help.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Your assertion of this as fact is a useful illustration of how frequently people are frequently unaware of the boundaries of their ignorance.

To a lot of people £100 is a very expensive watch, and so it can seem reasonable to them that a famous name should cost 2.5 times that.

The benefit of selling to people that ill-informed is that they're much less likely to spot a fake. Low return, but low risk.
    My ignorance knows no bounds. Much the same as those buying genuine Rolex watches for £250.

In my opinion with Rolex being one of the most well known brands I find it difficult to imagine most people are not aware of their value, even roughly. So at £250 down from say £6250 for a 116610ln at retail it's a fair old price drop. I was taught that if something is to good to be true, then it usually is.

You often find people buy fake goods knowingly. They do so simply because they cannot afford or justify paying the price of a genuine item. I suspect in most cases the fake items are purchased for vanity reasons. Be it a nice watch such as a Rolex, Canada goose jackets, Louis vuitton bags and so on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I was in Munich someone was showing me around his workshop/shop.
    He did high precision work for hospitals making and sharpening medical equipment along with selling expensive traditional knives.

I saw a flash of a nice looking watch on his wrist and asked about it,he proudly showed me a fake Breitling.
    When I asked why he would wear something like that when he produced genuine goods of the highest quality himself.
    He said a friend had bought it for him and that it had sentimental value,I didn’t have an answer to that.
    Obviously he saw nothing wrong with that,I expect that’s the view of most people.

Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    I wonder how he would have got on if he never sold them as genuine.

Plus anyone who buys a £250 Rolex must be fully aware it's not genuine.
    They will simply believe they are stolen.