closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maurice Lacroix Pontos s

Banned

Maurice Lacroix Pontos s

I received my watch ( thanks to the member who added the discounted link)
    I thought I would put up a thread here as not everyone can view or reply on sales corner.
    My first impression is for the price paid it's great, I wouldn't pay the £2700 rrp.
    I like the internal bezel and size ( I think it's 43mm) it's quite a large watch, the crown seems quite cheap/ flimsy . The one I bought has the rubber strap which is fine and fits the watch well.
    I see there's already one up on eBay for sale at a high mark-up.
    Thoughts?

Pictures?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Pictures?
    Sorry I don't know how to add.

Apprentice
    Wow the RRP vs the actual selling prices on some brands are ridiculous https://www.jomashop.com/maurice-lac...ss002-330.html

Quote Originally Posted by furiousjoe View Post
    Wow the RRP vs the actual selling prices on some brands are ridiculous https://www.jomashop.com/maurice-lac...ss002-330.html
    Always been the case - especially for the US which is the biggest dumping ground - you can buy some brands on the grey market cheaper than retailers can buy from the market - it was identified as a real problem in the last issue of WatchTime.

It's a great looking watch. The only issue that actually put me off buying another one was the crown and crown action. Maybe I was just unlucky with that one?

Sent from my Bluboo S1 using TZ-UK mobile app

I received mine today. Don't understand the issue with the crown. It's perfectly fine, solid with a very smooth operation

2017-12-13 20.09.26 by ataripower, on Flickr

Mine arrived this evening. Very impressed for £800.
    Lovely contrasting areas of brushing and polishing. Good depth and details with internal bezel.
    Tactile and precise crowns.
    The dial is really very nice, dependant on light/angle it appears either glossy black or dark grey. The bright detail on the hour markers works well, overall there is a warm appearance to the watch and a little bit retro.

Happy belated birthday gift to me.
    Nigel
    edit: sorry for phone pics.
    Last edited by tempfort; 13th December 2017 at 21:55.

Banned
    [QUOTE=ataripower;4596961]I received mine today. Don't understand the issue with the crown. It's perfectly fine, solid with a very smooth operation

/QUOTE]
    Not an issue it just feels flimsy, I am comparing this to more expensive watches.

Craftsman
    Really like the look of these. Does the internal bezel 'ratchet' around or is it smooth - how does it lock in position?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Really like the look of these. Does the internal bezel 'ratchet' around or is it smooth - how does it lock in position?

It is a smooth, non ratcheting action with a screw down crown.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post

Smooth, it locks by tightening the crown

[QUOTE=Sahara;4596994]
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I received mine today. Don't understand the issue with the crown. It's perfectly fine, solid with a very smooth operation

/QUOTE]
    Not an issue it just feels flimsy, I am comparing this to more expensive watches.
    I think it’s more to do with the inner bezel.

But the watch is considerably better built than something like a Longines Legend Diver for example.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    It is a smooth, non ratcheting action with a screw down crown.
    Thanks.

Always admired these as a very original design. Shame I didn’t have the spare chase at the time as seem good VFM.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    That's a nice looking watch. Still can't work out the prices on these.. £800? i see one one on chrononext for £2100. Was it some kind of early bird discount ?

Quote Originally Posted by furiousjoe View Post
    That's a nice looking watch. Still can't work out the prices on these.. £800? i see one one on chrononext for £2100. Was it some kind of early bird discount ?
    Black Friday deal, 70% discount.

Thought it might look ok on a Timefactors retro polyurethane. Very comfortable and suits the overall look.

Thought it might look ok on a Timefactors retro polyurethane. Very comfortable and suits the overall look.
    Now that really works!

A nice beater for the dog walk.

Quite like it on the bond NATO

2017-12-14 13.02.13 by ataripower, on Flickr

I was considering that strap for mine when it arrives. Many thanks for the pic, looks excellent.

Seems to be a bit like the LLD, suits a lot of straps.

2.30 - 4.30 delivery slot.. hmm, lets see!!

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I was considering that strap for mine when it arrives. Many thanks for the pic, looks excellent.
    Eddie does a flat ended one as well.

Looks good on the Bond NATO.
    Last edited by tempfort; 14th December 2017 at 15:11.

Seems to be a bit like the LLD, suits a lot of straps.
    It's certainly a versatile watch

2017-12-14 14.07.47 by ataripower, on Flickr

Eddie does a flat ended one as well.

Looks good on the Bond NATO.
    I’ve got a new and unused bond nato somewhere but I have a feeling its a 20mm.

Master
    Arrived eventually...

Gorrie, glad it arrived and the strap looks great. What are your thoughts of it now it has arrived?

Master
    Gorrie, glad it arrived and the strap looks great. What are your thoughts of it now it has arrived?
    First impressions are positive. Well worth the money we paid.. the RRP is a bit rich but I think if they pitched it at maybe a few hundred quid above a Longines Legend Diver then you would have little complaint, as it seems a better watch than the LLD to me.
    Lots of little details that don't really jump out on photos... the red markers pop more in real life, polished edges on the lugs you don't really notice, and there's a nice depth to the dial.
    Winding the crown is smooth, the internal bezel action feels quality and it's a proper rubber strap (although I wish it was vanilla scented.. hopefully the rubber smell dies down).
    On the topic of the strap, its good that they have designed it to follow the form of the case.. very good fit. I don't normally like fitted straps, but this one looks ok.

Master
    Feels like a very very well priced alternative to an IWC Aquatimer to me.

Banned
    I agree with the rubber fitted strap, that's why I ordered mine with it, it will be easier to get a leather or nato strap than a well fitted rubber.

Craftsman
    Omg genuinely gutted that I missed this.
    I really loved this watch from the initial review I read on Hodinkee. Would have loved to have got one.

Goes really well. Looks better than the original strap.

Great looking watch. Where were you guys getting them from? I assume as it was a Black Friday deal they are no longer available at the price you paid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Great looking watch. Where were you guys getting them from? I assume as it was a Black Friday deal they are no longer available at the price you paid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it was. There was a heads up on SC. Couple have appeared on there since so you can still grab one if interested

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The quality is amazing and it was a true bargain. I also noticed a few on EBay already.....

Just off to check it's ability in powder, and lots of it judging by the snow reports.

Maurice Lacroix Pontos s

Well after much pain with UK Mail (how are they still in business?!) mine finally arrived today. Very impressed, very nice quality and the dial really pops. I will have to get used to a larger watch again as I’ve been wearing a 36mm vintage Datejust daily for the past few months! My wrists are an average 7.25 inches though so its not too big for me after a few minutes on the wrist I got used to it. I wanted a watch that was a contrast to the Datejust and this fits the bill. My kids said they thought it was very “cool not like the boring old Rolex”, so there you go, I’m now cool (and my kids have a lot to learn about watches). I’m not a huge fan of how the brown nato wears on first impressions though. I’m probably going to put a brown Hirsch Mariner on mine. Anyway I had it for an hour before my wife spirited it away for Christmas day. I’ll put a picture of it on the Hirsch in due course. Thanks to vortex89 for the great heads up.
    Last edited by PipPip; 18th December 2017 at 22:28.

Still no sign of mine. I've raised a complaint with ML. They look great though. Looking forward to actually seeing it!

Master
    Mine is still awol also.... UK Mail depot are apparently trying to find it...

I have told ML but so far they have not been very helpful..
    Last edited by jamesnw; 21st December 2017 at 19:50.

I recommended to ML that they change their delivery company. Every parcel we’ve had this Christmas from UK Mail has been lost, delivered to someone else or not delivered when promised. They are a shambles.

Master
    Where do these watches sit? What brands are comparable? I always see them very heavily discounted which just puts me off them and for me devalues the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Where do these watches sit? What brands are comparable? I always see them very heavily discounted which just puts me off them and for me devalues the brand.
    I would rate them on a par with the Likes of Bremont/Sinn in terms of quality. They are above the likes of Longines and Certina etc. I would certainly never pay list but at 50% or more off, they really are excellent value for money. The Pontos S Diver is a magnificent piece very well put together and executed across the whole package, I did see the bracelet version at the airport and was less impressed by the bracelet, but it was a quick look.

I have recently just added a Zulu Maratac to my Pontos S for the princely sum of £20.00 and it looks superb on it.

I had a Tudor Blackbay ETA before the Pontos S and would say the case and dial finishing quality is on a par. At just over £800 the Pontos S was a bargain but it’s definitely not worth over £2,000 on the leather strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    I would rate them on a par with the Likes of Bremont/Sinn in terms of quality. They are above the likes of Longines and Certina etc. I would certainly never pay list but at 50% or more off, they really are excellent value for money. The Pontos S Diver is a magnificent piece very well put together and executed across the whole package, I did see the bracelet version at the airport and was less impressed by the bracelet, but it was a quick look.

I have recently just added a Zulu Maratac to my Pontos S for the princely sum of £20.00 and it looks superb on it.
    Ok so then why do they get so heavily discounted?

Ok so then why do they get so heavily discounted?
    Personally I think it’s because the brand is a bit of a muddle. They produce some excellent high end watches with their own in house movements. They produce some great mid range automatic watches with standard/ETA stuff like the Pontos S diver and chrono. Then they also produce cheap quartz fashion watches which seriously diminishes their brand value amongst watch folk.

Master
    Personally I think it’s because the brand is a bit of a muddle. They produce some excellent high end watches with their own in house movements. They produce some great mid range automatic watches with standard/ETA stuff like the Pontos S diver and chrono. Then they also produce cheap quartz fashion watches which seriously diminishes their brand value amongst watch folk.
    So by trying I cover all bases they devalue the genuinely good watches.

Arguably the brand is devalued by offering their flagship model at a 70% discount. I'm glad they did though as it brought it to my attention and I probably wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

So by trying I cover all bases they devalue the genuinely good watches.
    Feels like it. Whereas Swatch group sets up different brands for its different value propositions from tat through to high end.