closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Forum Member Saying Hello

New Forum Member Saying Hello

Hello everybody,

I just signed up here and wanted to say hello. I've been "into" watches about 7 or 8 years, it all started when my Aqualung 500m quartz dive watch needed a new rubber strap. For some reason I fancied a steel bracelet for it as I'd only ever worn rubber straps on my watches. This led to web searches, YouTube videos, watch reviews, etc.

I bought the bracelet but by then I'd seen these "automatic" watches with their unusual-to-me smooth sweeping seconds hand. I had to have one and that sent me off down the slippery slope... My first purchase was a Seiko "Black Monster" and it carried on from there, buying, selling, keeping - I'm sure you all know the drill. I used to dive quite a bit, not as much any more but that's where my main interest would be - in diver's watches.

I signed up as a member on the WUS forum, under the same username, a number of years ago and hopefully I can add to the occasional thread here. A post isn't a post without photo's so here's a few pic's of my current watches and thank you for reading.

Borealis Estoril 300

CWC Quartz Diver

Seiko SBBN033 Tuna

Precista PRS-18-Q

Seiko SKX009

Armida A9 300m

Tiger Concept 5513 V2

Tisell 40mm Pilot

Luch Single Hander

Master
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow noob. It will be very bad for your bank balance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Welcome aboard; it's a great place to visit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. Nice variety of watches there already :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

mike

Good intro. Wear those badboys in good health.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Welcome. Nice collection.

Craftsman
    nice collection, good to see some dive watches actually being used!

Master

Smile

Welcome, nice collection you have.

Good evening, welcome to the forum. Nice selection there.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Welcome and enjoy..

Lovely collection there

Pitch

Master
    welcome to the nuthouse! nice to see you've lost the plot like the rest of us 😉🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Hello mate and welcome, I like your CWC

Welcome to the forum. As I have got Tuna lust at the moment, I love your SBBN033. A really interesting mix you have.

Dave

Journeyman
    Hi, I like your diverse collection

Welcome!

Great selection there. Always good to see a one hander in the collection too!

Welcome. I see a few WUS favourites in your collection there (Armida, Tiger Concept, Tissel etc). Just what this forum needs as it gets a bit stale in here with the same old brands. Maybe you can do a review of some of the affordable watches you have?
    Last edited by Man of Kent; 14th December 2017 at 08:38.

Craftsman
    Hello

Craftsman
    Hello and welcome to the community. Nice collection.

Very nice collection mate, welcome.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Welcome aboard. Lovely watches.

Journeyman
    Welcome from another newbie!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the welcomes and kind remarks - makes me feel at home! ;-)

Master
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Craftsman
    Nice collection.

Craftsman
    Nice selection and many are new to me too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Welcome, it all goes downhill from here, I joined with 4 watches and have hit double figures twice, don’t open Friday thread

Well howdy and welcome.... tis a friendly place generally with kind folk who are very good at helping you spend your money

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Glad to have you with us.

Apprentice
    Hello too and nice collection

Craftsman
    Welcome. Lovely collection.

Master
    Nice collection there fella welcome, what is you top 3? What gets the most wrist time?

Thanks again for the welcomes folks

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Nice collection there fella welcome, what is you top 3? What gets the most wrist time?

That's a tough one to answer - I've never really thought about it. It may sound cheeky but the newest one tends to get the most wrist time until something else comes along and inevitably something else gets shoved off the opposite end of the conveyor belt and sold off.

The Borealis Estoril 300 was going to be "the last one" - it seemed perfect, small, practical and classy. But you know how it is, you get drawn to something else... Now that watch, basically because it's such a jewel gets worn as a "good watch" - kinda. It's my dressy diver if you know what I mean? It ranks low on wrist time at the moment but it's probably my favourite watch, so the Estoril is my No.1. It obviously copies that classic 1960's Omega Seamaster 300 design, it has a slim profile, nice domed sapphire crystal, sapphire bezel insert, lovely bezel action, no date simplicity (date was an option on that watch) and the Miyota 9015 engine cranking over in there does the business.

No.2 in terms of my favourite would be the Tuna. I know you should never-say-never but I can't see myself selling that one any time soon. I only have a 6.5" wrist but that watch is wearable due to it's almost lugless design. It's most at home on it's rubber strap and that helps it wear smaller over the bracelet I have also. The movement is very accurate, the seconds hand hits the markers and it's not the worst to look at under the bonnet either. Probably a psychological thing as much as anything but I like the fact I can get spares for it if I damage it - you can take your Wabi-sabi and shove it! I had the original (unmarked) glass replaced with sapphire and I fitted a new but old style "S" crown in place of the newer and cheaper looking laser engraved "X" crown, just looks better. Like the Borealis, the wrist time is lacking at the moment though.

I'm having a hard time picking No.3 favourite - but I'm going to opt for, em....the CWC...I think... It's a recent addition and extremely over priced for what it is. But I love the looks, I know there's a lot of psychological hokus-pokus and marketing going on but it really does say 80's/early 90's to me stylistically and there's just something I really like about that. Quartz, no date, fuss free (Although if i has the auto it would still be here). And echoing the Tuna, I can get certain parts for it to keep it in good nick if I scratch it up. I bought it with a spare bezel just in case. I'm the kind of nut case that will let a scratched bezel eat away at me, if I know I can replace it then I feel a lot better. The perverse thing is, once I have a spare and I do get a scratch then it won't bother me and I won't change the part out - I'll keep it spare until I get a few more scratches on the first one! In fact I'll probably never use it - anyone studying psychology and looking for a thesis idea? I love the rubber straps from Yellowdog Watchstraps for this watch, flexible and can be dried off straight away after a swim or being in the sea, unlike a nylon strap. I also love the solidity of the watch, it just seems like it hewn from one solid lump of metal and the bezel action is lovely also.

As for wrist time, well my Armida A9 300m is my newest watch and the CWC is the second newest and I'm alternating between those as the mood takes me for a quartz or automatic, bracelet or strap. Those two are hogging all the useage at the moment. The Armida is a nice watch, ETA 2824 movement, precise bezel action, 39.5mm bezel, from memory about 37.5mm lug to lug - so it looks OK on a 16.5cm/6.5" wrist. I know people hate Rolex copies but I just like the design of the 5517. The grip on the bezel needed improving, to most people it would probably be all right but in the swimming pool wwhen it and my hands were wet I found the bezel a little hard to manipulate. About 20 minutes in the shed with a round needle file sharpening all the bezel serrations and the grip was perfect.

What a brilliant post on your favourites! That is just the kind of post we should see more of on TZ-UK.

Welcome again, and thanks for the post (I need a Tuna too ;) )

Dave

Master
    Well that told me

Welcome
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Welcome aboard, with a great collection like that there'll be no getting off any time soon!
    Good to see your divers getting some proper dive time. Have you ever tried the Oris 1000m pro diver chronograph at all? The wrist shot of one of your tunas reminded me of it!

Journeyman
    welcome to you!

No collection there. I notice a theme... dark faces

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hello and welcome! Great post and nice collection