closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garmin Fenix 5

Master
    Blog Entries

Question Garmin Fenix 5

Anyone own one? Thinking of getting one but trying to justify the price tag. Im not a fitness fanatic but do like to ride my bike and go for walks. Was looking at the fenix 3 but its pretty big at 51mm. Atleast the 5 comes in at 47mm which is a bit more manageable with a bit better screen and battery. Just not sure there worth dropping over 400 notes for one or look at something else like the samsung gear S3?

Master
    Friend of mine who is a marathon runner has one and absolutely loves it. I’ve had a play with it and it’s a fairly big beast but if you’re a runner, it apparently tells you pretty much everything you could want.

My Apple Watch works fine for my runs and fitness tracking, but I’m not a serious runner...

I had a play with a Garmin recently - not sure of the model but it was circa 700 on Amazon I think (edit: it was indeed the Fenix 5). The screen was terrible! Really low resolution and very tinted indeed. It was also huge in both width and thickness.

Can't comment on the functions as I didn't get to use it, but the owner (marathon runner) was very pleased with what it could do, but was looking to return it and get the latest Apple watch instead.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 14th December 2017 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Anyone own one? Thinking of getting one but trying to justify the price tag. Im not a fitness fanatic but do like to ride my bike and go for walks. Was looking at the fenix 3 but its pretty big at 51mm. Atleast the 5 comes in at 47mm which is a bit more manageable with a bit better screen and battery. Just not sure there worth dropping over 400 notes for one or look at something else like the samsung gear S3?
    The 5S is 42mm.

Have you thought about a Garmin Forerunner 235. Does pretty much the same thing, but is a lot cheaper??

Master
    I have one and love it. But I am quite into my fitness, its a fantastic training aid in terms of making sure your training is going in the direction and for monitoring whilst running. If you dont have any particular fitness orientated goals ie just trying to stay healthy then it is massively overkill though.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Would an Apple Watch 3 with Mobile work better? It has a built in phone and GPS. There are plenty of apps to track workouts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Would an Apple Watch 3 with Mobile work better? It has a built in phone and GPS. There are plenty of apps to track workouts.
    I believe the 3 only works on EE as a stand alone phone,, due to other providers not being able to support esim

Master
    I have a Fenix 5 and love it, is it overkil? Yes it is, but it does everything you would ever need and more. I don’t use the notifications but wear it when riding my bike and walking and occasionally during the day. The 47mm is a bit of a lump but it wears fairly well on my 7 1/2 inch wrists.

Go outdoors gave me a 10% discount on it with a little persuasion.

Any thoughts on the 235 from anyone in comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Maybe this will help ??

https://www.wareable.com/garmin/garm...garmin-fenix-5

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Everything you’ll need to know...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

Craftsman
    235 is good functionally but made out of cheaper materials.
    I had the Fenix, until I gave it to one of my brothers as he lives in the caribbean and specifically wanted the SUP function. I'm happy with anything that just tells me speed distance and time on a bike. So now have a Garmin Edge 25.
    The Fenix felt like a quality bit of kit. Made out of metal and sapphire glass. The 235 feels plasticky in comparison but is still amazingly clever, and therefore overkill for my simple tastes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Everything you’ll need to know...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
    PS. This is where to go for detailed analysis of anything Garmin/smart fitness device.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I had a play with a Garmin recently - not sure of the model but it was circa 700 on Amazon I think. The screen was terrible! Really low resolution and very tinted indeed. It was also huge in both width and thickness.

Can't comment on the functions as I didn't get to use it, but the owner (marathon runner) was very pleased with what it could do, but was looking to return it and get the latest Apple watch instead.
    The res and brightness is something im a little worried about but then again if you want bright vibrant screens then batteries do not last long. One of the reasons im looking at the 5 is the long battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I have a Fenix 5 and love it, is it overkil? Yes it is, but it does everything you would ever need and more. I don’t use the notifications but wear it when riding my bike and walking and occasionally during the day. The 47mm is a bit of a lump but it wears fairly well on my 7 1/2 inch wrists.

Go outdoors gave me a 10% discount on it with a little persuasion.
    Its where ill be getting mine from, You get a spare strap also. Sounds like your using it just like i would be so glad to hear you really like it.

I’m looking at one too, to be honest though the vivoactive 3 is enough for me, as it is most people I suspect. Still want the roughty toughty Fenix 5 though. And I agree, DCrainmaker is the place to go for reviews. I also like RizKnows on YouTube too.

I bought a Fenix 5 a few weeks ago and love it. I paid £408.00 at Go Outdoors and it was a two strap package. Just purchased the stainless steel strap and that is very good quality and surprisingly I need to take two links out. I usually need to add two links on bracelets.....

Anyway, it is a really well made bit of kit and very accurate in terms of the GPS tracker. I mainly use it for hiking and swimming but also just like it as a watch and phone alert device. I bought an Apple Series 3 Watch at the same time and will be selling that as although it is a wonderful bit of kit it doesn't do it for me being square and slightly small on my 8.5 inch wrists. Anyone want an almost new Apple Watch RRP £425 for £375.00. 42mm, space gray with sport loop.....

Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I bought a Fenix 5 a few weeks ago and love it. I paid £408.00 at Go Outdoors and it was a two strap package. Just purchased the stainless steel strap and that is very good quality and surprisingly I need to take two links out. I usually need to add two links on bracelets.....

Anyway, it is a really well made bit of kit and very accurate in terms of the GPS tracker. I mainly use it for hiking and swimming but also just like it as a watch and phone alert device. I bought an Apple Series 3 Watch at the same time and will be selling that as although it is a wonderful bit of kit it doesn't do it for me being square and slightly small on my 8.5 inch wrists. Anyone want an almost new Apple Watch RRP £425 for £375.00. 42mm, space gray with sport loop.....

Chris
    Feel free to post some pics with your SS strap on

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Feel free to post some pics with your SS strap on
    Will do when I get it altered. I have to say that I am really impressed with the quick change strap system. It takes about 10 seconds to change straps......

Chris