closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Confused about Digital-to-analogue converter!

Master

Confused about Digital-to-analogue converter!

Afternoon!

Wondering if anyone might be able to help. I am looking into getting myself a nice little speaker system. Looking at the Cambridge Topaz SR20 as an amp/pre-amp/dac all in one machine, some speakers (probably Monitor Audio Bronze) and maybe later adding a turntable. I will predominantly still use a streaming service, Tidal HIFI is what I am on at the moment.

Question is, if I connect my phone to the 3.5mm input on the SR20 am I taking advantage of the superior DAC in there or still using the one in the phone, same question if I plugged a chromecast audio in there?

This HIFI gear seems very complicated!

Master
    You would be bypassing the dac in the amp and just using the amplifier stage. The dac would still be happening in the phone.

You need either a digital output or stream from your phone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    You would be bypassing the dac in the amp and just using the amplifier stage. The dac would still be happening in the phone.

You need either a digital output or stream from your phone.
    I thought I might be, thank you. Now how do I achieve this?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Master
    In used this before I upgraded recently and it was pretty good for the price:
    https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/miniblink/review

This is what I use now:
    https://www.whathifi.com/bluesound/node/review
    Last edited by SeePee; 13th December 2017 at 18:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    In used this before I upgraded recently and it was pretty good for the price:
    https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/miniblink/review

This is what I use now:
    https://www.whathifi.com/bluesound/node/review
    They both look interesting, thanks.

Do you know if a simple 3.5mm to optical cable would work to get tidal flac files through an external dac?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Do you know if a simple 3.5mm to optical cable would work to get tidal flac files through an external dac?
    I don't think that would work. In my mind, the phone will use its own DAC to convert the digital files to the 3.5mm analogue output. The 3.5mm to optical will simply change the analogue to light transmission - I'm guessing there's an inevitable loss of quality.

I think you need to change your plan to make full use of a DAC. The only way I can see this working if you intend to use a proper wired connection from your phone is USB. That means that counts out the SR20.

I recently went through something similar, but went about it in a different way. I wanted SACD playback, so bought a Marantz SA8005 player. I can basically run everything through it before it reaches the amp. USB, Optical and Coaxial all go through the DAC. It has become the hub of my system.

Maybe look for a DAC that fits your need seperately, and get a cheaper amp, like the AM10?

Journeyman
    Using the 3.5mm jack on the phone will feed an analogue signal into you amplifier, the audio file would be converted using the cheap DAC in the smartphone. You be better feeding the amplifier's DAC from a file on a server or NAS - or where ever your source files live.

Craftsman
    I’m assuming the audio in your phone is mp3? Unless I missed something. I wouldn’t worry about DAC quality in that case I’d look for a better source.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    I’m assuming the audio in your phone is mp3? Unless I missed something. I wouldn’t worry about DAC quality in that case I’d look for a better source.
    No, I have a Tidal subscription which has lossless CD quality and also some Hi-Res tracks from HD Tracks and Qobuz. Also looking to get a turntable as well to do the LP thing which looks fun.

Unless your 3.5mm output has a digital feed (like the old mac 3.5mm on their computers) , anything that comes out of it is analogue and cannot be converted back to your digital file source (it's been done in your phone). What you will need is a streaming device , these will connect to your nas, some will connect direct to Spotify etc. Digital output from a phone that is direct source has to be extracted via the primary connector eg. Lightning in the case of iPhone.
    Last edited by I AM LATE!; 14th December 2017 at 00:14.

Master
    I think after doing some research possibly the best blend of price, quality and convenience maybe to get an amp and use AptX bluetooth until I can afford a dedicated network streamer that supports tidal (Cambridge CXN). So that is either something like Cambridge AM10 plus Arcam miniblink (this would be using the Arcam DAC) or something like the Cambridge A60 along with it's own AptX bluetooth dongle.

Better get saving! If anyone thinks the above is horrible idea please let me know. I know there will be some drop in quality using bluetooth but AptX is pretty decent now I think and I doubt I could really tell!

I don't think it's a horrible idea, although I'd always prefer a wired connection, the reviews of the miniblink with onboard DAC look excellent.

I see that while the miniblink has only a 3.5mm output, it comes supplied with a 3.5 to RCA phono cable, so nice and easy to connect to the rear of the amp and keep everything tidy - no trailing wires hanging out the AUX input on the front of the amp.

If you do end up with the AM10, may I recommend the Cambridge SX60 speakers. They don't get as good a review as say, some Wharfedale Diamonds (what hifi score 4/5 rather than 5/5 on the Wharfedales) but they are beautifully matched to the amp, as you'd expect from the same maker - they look great too.

Craftsman
    Might be worth looking at a digital receiver?
    E.g. I have a Yamaha r-n602 which as well as 105w amp, fm tuner and phono stage also has built in WiFi for Spotify connect , airplay etc and a USB port for mp3, flac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I would be inclined to suggest that the streaming components are better housed in an outboard device. There is no doubt that the streaming services will continue to improve, and using an outboard streamer makes it less painful when it comes time to upgrade.

Chromecast Audio, Apple TV, and the Sonos Connect are popular choices, the new Yamaha WXAD-10 and the Onkyo NS-6170 also look to be good options going forward. The Yamaha seems particularly well equipped for the price. https://www.t3.com/features/best-streaming-dac

Craftsman

Confused about Digital-to-analogue converter!

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    I would be inclined to suggest that the streaming components are better housed in an outboard device. There is no doubt that the streaming services will continue to improve, and using an outboard streamer makes it less...
    Possibly. I just got tired of too many boxes , wires and remotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You need to get a digital signal out of your phone and convert it to spdif (optical or electrical) most phones do this via an adaptor from their usb / lightning port. Another option might be to use bluetooth to connect your phone to your amp.

Master
    I've just got myself a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless, using my Audiolab 8200cdq as a preamp when I play cds or vinyl. they also have a very stable wireless as well as hard wire to pc, Bluetooth. using Tidal via wireless or wired from laptop or wireless from phone is brilliant. bloomin brilliant speakers; amazing sound from such smallish drivers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using
    Last edited by emgee; 15th December 2017 at 14:05.