closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal mail - signed for but not delivered??

Royal mail - signed for but not delivered??

Hopefully the vast experience of this forum can help me... I purchased a nice watch for eBay and all seemed well. Item posted in a timely manner with tracking information added (RM Special Delivery 1Pm guarantee). The problem is, I'm away for business and yet somehow the item has been signed for as delivered. Albeit with the wrong name, I'm Dean Harris and the signed name is Dawn Harris! Obviously, I'm not home and can prove that, and I have no issues with the seller as they have tracked etc. The question is; where's my watch and what redress do I have? Collective wisdom is needed. Any advice on my 'rights' and how to proceed?
    Just to add, this is for a Tag, so not a sum of cash that can be written off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    Hopefully the vast experience of this forum can help me... I purchased a nice watch for eBay and all seemed well. Item posted in a timely manner with tracking information added (RM Special Delivery 1Pm guarantee). The problem is, I'm away for business and yet somehow the item has been signed for as delivered. Albeit with the wrong name, I'm Dean Harris and the signed name is Dawn Harris! Obviously, I'm not home and can prove that, and I have no issues with the seller as they have tracked etc. The question is; where's my watch and what redress do I have? Collective wisdom is needed. Any advice on my 'rights' and how to proceed?

Lodge a query with Royal Mail asap. They will know who delivered the item and are generally helpful in trying to ascertain where it was delivered. The longer you leave it, the less chance of getting helpful feedback as they deliver so many new items to remember every day

Obvious Q, but why arrange for delivery when you were not at home?

I never, ever do this - and avoid over the weekend SD as it sits around before going out for delivery.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Happened to me once, I was in when it was signed for by someone else. Although it was a well known courier not RM.

It was a nightmare, the seller thought I was ripping him off because someone had signed for it.

The courier said they had proof of delivery and I had signed and showed me the signature, which was not mine but someone signing my name.

There was a stand off for a few days with everyone pointing the finger at me.

Eventually a neighbour brought round a soggy parcel he’d found in his back garden, he didn’t sign for it either.

The best I could guess was that the driver signed for it and lobbed it over the neighbours gate.

Had the parcel not turned up all parties would have done nothing and I would have been labelled the villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

I never, ever do this - and avoid over the weekend SD as it sits around before going out for delivery.
    Delivery was not arranged. It was simply a purchase, and delivery occurred when I was not present.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Happened to me once, I was in when it was signed for by someone else. Although it was a well known courier not RM.

It was a nightmare, the seller thought I was ripping him off because someone had signed for it.

The courier said they had proof of delivery and I had signed and showed me the signature, which was not mine but someone signing my name.

There was a stand off for a few days with everyone pointing the finger at me.

Eventually a neighbour brought round a soggy parcel he’d found in his back garden, he didn’t sign for it either.

The best I could guess was that the driver signed for it and lobbed it over the neighbours gate.

Had the parcel not turned up all parties would have done nothing and I would have been labelled the villain.
    Oh dear. This doesn't bode well

Journeyman
    If it's Royal Mail then it's not worth the postman job to forge the signature on a special delivery item but at this time of year it could be a temp worker who doesn't care. I also believe that the hand held device that you sign is GPS enabled so Royal Mail should be able to tell you exactly where it was signed.

Your seller has to have proved a delivery, but it needs to be backed up by a proof of postage that shows your postcode and first line of the address. Mostly postcode, though. Aslong as the tracking shows delivered, the signature is of no significance to PayPal or eBay buyer protection for fairly obvious reasons.

Ideally if eBay or PayPal, or the seller for that matter, can let you see the proof of postage receipt, or at least give you details as to what is on the receipt, you can then have an idea of where exactly it was sent. This is what should be used on the case anyway in order to work out if the seller did send it correctly.

If these details do indeed match your physical address, the one that was given on the transaction that the seller used, then they have done what was meant to be done and PayPal or eBay will ultimately come to the conclusion that you have received your item despite the actual fact you say you haven't and will leave the funds with the seller.

They have to have that system otherwise anyone could lie and pretend their item hasn't turned up when infact it has (of course, I am not saying that's what you have done, but you understand my point).

Now, somewhat worryingly, and in the event that the proof of postage receipt has been faked (I've seem it a few times) to show your address, your best course of action is to ring Royal Mail, or whatever courier was used, and ask them specifically what post code and first line of the address it was sent to and confirm those details. If PayPal or eBay can do this for you that would be ideal, it can be verified by them aswell as using the proof of postage receipt. I remember one occasion where a faked proof of postage receipt's tracking number was actually addressed to an airport car park and not a quiet suburban Street somewhere..

If the seller isn't willing to chase it up for whatever reason, you might find that an agent at PayPal or maybe less likely, eBay, will contact the courier and ask for those details to confirm whether or not that tracking number is a match for the addressee.

If all of that is fine and adds up, the postage receipt is legit and the tracking shows delivered etc, then your best bet is to knock on doors in the area and ask if there is a parcel for you. Sometimes the courier can be asked if they remember the drop off, sometimes gsp tracking is used I believez, so there is some digging you can do.

If all of these attempts fail, you have another course of action. And that's speak to the bank and claim non receipt of goods despite the seller seemingly providing evidence it had been delivered. Explain the situation and your bank will have to then try and claw the funds back via PayPal, who will then protect the seller under their seller protection. This is mostly dependent on your using a debit or credit card to pay for the item in order for the bank to claim it back in the form of a chargeback.

That's about all I can think of for now and it's been a while so my knowledge might have faded somewhat.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As someone has signed and you can prove you were overseas you should be ok.

My problem was I was home when someone signed as me.

Seems to me a recipient has virtually no protection against a rouge delivery driver. Your word against his.

Master
    the postman hasn't stashed behind the bin or somewhere has he? then forged your signature. happened to me once, found the parcel over the back gate in the bushes. did it to help me out he said. plonker nearly lost his job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

I bet it fit through the letter box and it'll be on the mat when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I bet it fit through the letter box and it'll be on the mat when you get back.
    This - most likely situation...depending on the size of what you were expecting!

Master
    A few months ago I sold a jacket on ebay, and posted normal second class (this now has a partial tracking facility added). Buyer claimed it was not received, Royal Mail said it was delivered to "the address or a neighbour" on their website, remember this is not signed for. Buyer opened an unpaid item case, I opened a claim with Royal Mail with no real hope of a resolution from them. Upshot was, ebay found in my favour because of the "proof" of delivery, so I didn't have to refund the buyer, and Royal Mail reimbursed me £20 plus the £2.90 postage I paid. I sent the £22.90 to the customer who was very pleased I had done this (as I should have done obviously).
    My point is, it is worth banging a claim in with Royal Mail, I had assumed mine would be thrown out, but it wasn't. Different circumstances maybe but the same basic principle applies. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    This - most likely situation...depending on the size of what you were expecting!
    Afraid it's not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phone the Royal Mail up.
    This is one of their Premium services, and they appear to genuinely care about it.
    Had one or two issues over the years, and it has always been resolved.

Master
    Blog Entries

Happened to me. My neighbours cleaner signed for my parcel then left the package in a safe place for me to hopefully find. The parcel contained a very expensive watch unbeknown to the cleaner who thought she was been helpful

Went mental with RMSD manager. He apologised profusely.

Hope you get your parcel.

Happened to me with DHL a couple of weeks ago (a drone delivery from Germany for my son for Christmas). Except we were in at the time of the claimed delivery and could categorically confirm it wasn’t delivered to us. The insurance is for the person sending the delivery and they have to raise the issue with the delivery company. In my case a claim was raised with DHL by the supplier but 10 days later an old lady who lives at the other end of my village brought it round. It had been simply left in her porch and she’d been too unwell to bring it until then. The driver obviously signed for the delivery himself and dumped it there. In meantime DHL were “investigating”. I believe it can be a slow process.

Master

Royal mail - signed for but not delivered??

Take your tracking number down to the local sorting office, tell the postmaster the story, he should be able to produce a computer map of where the item was signed for as when it’s scanned it geotags the location and uploads it.

If it’s near your house then suspicions could point to the delivery process, this happened to a package of ours that went missing, delivered signed for at 12.55 ( nothing on CCTV) geotag showed a house further down the main-way, 2 days later package arrives via RM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master

I work shifts and on occasion those shifts can be changed to cover sickness etc and so if I ordered anything it would be for when I'm off or on a late shift,but if there is a shift change.......

then Im probably at work and not at home!.

Maybe that's something to consider.

Blog Entries
    Get a video doorbell... as a comsuqeunce I haven’t missed many deliveries and been able to give guidance to the delivery guy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Get a video doorbell... as a comsuqeunce I haven’t missed many deliveries and been able to give guidance to the delivery guy
    Good shout

Craftsman
    I am lucky in that I can send items to work where we have really good security / portering staff. They are used to receiving "expensive" items and all manner of odd things for me. Even had a full set of All-terrain tyres for my Jeep Wrangler sent from Germany ;-)

Blog Entries
    As others have said. Do phone RM and get through to the SD section. They have always been helpful in my experience. Sooner than later is best.

03457 740 740

I'd print off the delivery details and go to the sorting office. They'll be able to look at who delivered it and where it is.

I deal with this kind of thing daily. No idea how much the watch is worth but escalate it ASAP - they can tell from the delivery scan who delivered it, and they should be able to plot coordinates showing where the scan/sig was taken.

Is it possible the postman could have signed for it (thinking he was doing you a favour) and left it in a porch or other secure area?

If you need a contact in the chairman's office then drop me a PM and I'll send you an email address to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Only useful if the delivery guy actually comes to your door.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s not your name or signature so how can they justify that.

It’s not called, signed for by anyone who happens to be nearby or passing by is it?

My postman always puts parcels in the green recycling wheelie bin if we're not home. We live in a quiet cul-de-sac but even so, only takes one wrong'un to see him doing it and that's my stuff pinched. He left my Seiko Alpinist in the bloody wheelie bin last week!

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

It’s not called, signed for by anyone who happens to be nearby or passing by is it?
    Names don't have to match. Anyone at that address can sign - family etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Only useful if the delivery guy actually comes to your door.
    Why wouldn’t they? Gives more proof if there is a non delivery too!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    My postman always puts parcels in the green recycling wheelie bin if we're not home. We live in a quiet cul-de-sac but even so, only takes one wrong'un to see him doing it and that's my stuff pinched. He left my Seiko Alpinist in the bloody wheelie bin last week!
    They did that to me on bin collection day not only that it was covered in grunge.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Not just RM, but I have just had a ridiculous experience with DPD, and they are supposed to be a reputable courier.

Bought a 1k lens off eBay and DPD tried to deliver on Monday morning, nobody home so they delivered it to a neighbour across and down the road about 6 doors.The kind lady accepted the delivery and signed for it. I knew they were going to attempt to deliver as I received a text so when I got home to no parcel, or card, checked the online tracking. It showed that 'Rodriugez67' had signed for the parcel. WTF. I contacted DPD and are still waiting to hear from them on where my package is, but in the meantime, got a call from a kind lady this morning asking when I was going to come and collect my parcel from her. She assumed that DPD had notified me that she had accepted the delivery on my behalf.

Lucky for me she was honest as I had never met her before and had no reason to suspect she took delivery. This could have got very messy. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Not just RM, but I have just had a ridiculous experience with DPD, and they are supposed to be a reputable courier.

Bought a 1k lens off eBay and DPD tried to deliver on Monday morning, nobody home so they delivered it to a neighbour across and down the road about 6 doors.The kind lady accepted the delivery and signed for it. I knew they were going to attempt to deliver as I received a text so when I got home to no parcel, or card, checked the online tracking. It showed that 'Rodriugez67' had signed for the parcel. WTF. I contacted DPD and are still waiting to hear from them on where my package is, but in the meantime, got a call from a kind lady this morning asking when I was going to come and collect my parcel from her. She assumed that DPD had notified me that she had accepted the delivery on my behalf.

Lucky for me she was honest as I had never met her before and had no reason to suspect she took delivery. This could have got very messy. Idiots.
    DPD used to be truly superb. But the last few I've had from them have just been blank 'You weren't in' type calling cards. Blank as in no parcel number, no clue as to where the items were left. And the worst bit? The calling cards were left on the lawn! Just blowing around, looking like a piece of rubbish.

Our normal postie, never bothers us for signatures. just delivers it and leaves it in the porch......thinking about it im not sure that's a good thing.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Our normal postie, never bothers us for signatures. just delivers it and leaves it in the porch......thinking about it im not sure that's a good thing.........
    It's extremely handy when it works. But the one time it doesn't...

Master
    The fact it was signed with the same surname says to me the postman signed for it. It's highly unlikely he stole it but as others have suggested more likely he signed thinking he was doing you a favour and left it somewhere. I mean, what's the chances any of your neighbours would sign it that way?

If he did do this he should have left a card with "down side" "in bin" etc

I'm on first name terms with my postman so first thing I'd do is ask him personally as he does me favours by signing for stuff and if it fits, posting it or if not leaving it in an agreed place.

My money is on him sticking it in a recycling bin/porch/safe place and not leaving a card. You've probably recycled it or it's been picked up by someone else.

Otherwise I've had to go round my neighbours before to find stuff that's gone missing.

Royal Mail are generally very good with tracking etc. Other couriers I've dealt with are a nightmare! I waited in all day for a delivery of an expensive watch which was 'on the van for delivery by 8pm' Nothing showed up and I went online to see the tracking only to see it said 'attempted delivery, left at local depot'. The funny thing was the time between the driver attempting delivery and him scanning it at the local depot was about 1 minute. This was at 6pm! What he'd done in my opinion was not bother attempting mine and probably many others, driven to the drop off point and just dumped what he couldn't be bothered to deliver.

I had no idea where it could be and googled it to find a small corner shop were a collection/delivery hub. I drove down there and asked the lady and she pointed to a load of parcels which were dumped down one of the isles of the shop! Sat there was my watch!

Funny thing is, this happened to me with the same company again. This time I went straight down the shop and got my parcel!

Both times I complained and told her to pass it on he was obviously not even attempting delivery. She even said other people have complained too. His bosses obviously aren't too fussed though!

Another delivery gem I saw was when I was working on a customer's car, on their drive. The delivery girl got out the car, knocked on the door then just went to the side of the house and threw the parcel over a tall panel fence onto their patio (in the rain too). I confronted her about it saying "let's hope it's not breakable eh" and she was totally shocked and didn't say a word, just walked off. I went and got the parcel and put it in the car I was working on then gave it to the owner when they came home. This was Hermes which seem a disaster to use. I found a parcel from them behind my bin days after it was delivered by pure chance.

Pretty sure I’ve told this one before, but it’s a corker so here you go again:

Ordered some shoes from a department store online. Checked the tracking and it said they were delivered and signed for by me. I hadn’t had them, I contacted the department store who didn’t believe me and told me to complain to ParcelForce. I did, and got no where.

A few weeks later I had forgotten about it. Some woman from a random house about half a mile away dropped in a mouldy, sodden package she had found in the garden under her sons climbing frame. The courier had delivered to the house with the same number but on a road running parallel to mine. Obviously thought he had done me a favour, but I ended up with a pair of mouldy shoes that had to be binned.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I've contacted Royal Mail and they have started on investigation. Hopefully it'll turn out okay and I either get the watch or a refund from the seller, who in turn will have to make a compensation claim against RM. luckily (so far) the seller has been understanding. The fear was that he could quite easily turn round and say 'not my problem'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s bad the other way as well.

I had a delivery to me last week from a courier for someone else.

Trying to get through to someone to hand it back was soul destroying,it’s not addressed to me so they won’t talk to me about it etc.etc.

in the end I went out in the cold and delivered it to the addressee some distance away,he wasn’t the least bit grateful and didn’t even thank me.

Master
    Pm me the SD number I'll see what I can find out - not sure if I'll be able to see the gps point but might be able to

The wife ordered some stuff from Amazon a month or two ago, had a delivered notification saying it was in the green tub near the greenhouse, we don’t have a greenhouse, or a green tub, searched the garden and the neighbors but nothing, Amazon sent the goods again. This weekend I needed to get coal from the ( not green ) coal bunker and there were the goods.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    One of the guys on delivery dropped me a snap today of a amazon courier deliver on his delivery- dropped on the door stop and a pile of papier-mâché after 2 days of terrible weather

Master
    I have my shed as the safe place on my Amazon account. I ordered a tablet and arrived home to see it on my front door step. The indifference of the delivery people staggers me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Royal Mail stole a package I sent to a member on here this year. Signature was forged and RM said it may have been a "temp" who stole it. It took a lot of work but got money back in the end as it was insured, but they tried to weasel out of it.

I wouldnt trust royal mail to deliver a Xmas card. Thieving b*stards in my book.

I have been frustrated by deliveries in the past. Just to add some balance the delivery I received today was the drivers 223rd of the day!!! He got to me last at around 7pm. Pretty hard core, not sure I would do that job

Master
    Amazon delivery to one of my colleagues in school. Driver couldn't work out how to get in to the school so stopped a pupil who signed for it "Josh". Nothing seen since. Stupid driver.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Delivery was not arranged. It was simply a purchase, and delivery occurred when I was not present.
    My point was more general - don't order signed for stuff when there is nobody at home to sign for it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    My point was more general - don't order signed for stuff when there is nobody at home to sign for it.
    More of a moot point, so what do you do, hang out behind the letter box like a snarling Yorkshire terrier.

Hope sounddood sends one over.

Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This.

or arrange delivery for when you ARE in.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The wife ordered some stuff from Amazon a month or two ago, had a delivered notification saying it was in the green tub near the greenhouse, we don’t have a greenhouse, or a green tub, searched the garden and the neighbors but nothing, Amazon sent the goods again. This weekend I needed to get coal from the ( not green ) coal bunker and there were the goods.
    Me thinks that most of the "new and wrapped" items on SC have a similar background story.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.