closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal mail - signed for but not delivered??

Just to give this thread closure, I now have the watch! It was 'kindly' delivered to a neighbour down the street. Shame this wasn't communicated to me, so i knew who had it.
    Just want to give a thanks to everyone and especially lewie, who graciously helped identify it's location. Just shows what a great community this forum is!
    As this is a watch forum, I really should post a picture...sorry it's a cheap one

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Glad it arrived

Master
    excellent result and a great watch!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    did you ask the neighbour why they signed for it in your name? Or not as the case was.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Result,but what is the full story?

Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    did you ask the neighbour why they signed for it in your name? Or not as the case was.
    He thought he was doing me a favour. Strange thing is, his name is David and not Dawn, as was recorded against the signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Result,but what is the full story?
    Basically I guess the postie was trying to be helpful. He knew the neighbor down the street was in, so left it with him. Aside from the point that I don’t think RM should leave signed for packages with anyone other than the recipient, the problem was compounded by:
    1. Not leaving me a card to say the parcel is with a neighbour
    2. Getting the name of the signer wrong (Dawn instead of David). I know there is no Dawn on our street, hence my initial fear of a bigger problem.

The neighbor was expecting me to come round and pick up the parcel (thinking I would have received a card).

With help of the forum members pinpointing the signature point using GPS from the RM tracking number, enabled me to do some focused door-to-door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post

The neighbor was expecting me to come round and pick up the parcel (thinking I would have received a card).
    Bit OT but what do TZers usually do if parcel left for/with neighbour? Go and get it or wait for them to come round?

I usually take it round, saves being disturbed later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Bit OT but what do TZers usually do if parcel left for/with neighbour? Go and get it or wait for them to come round?

Agreed, if I have taken something in, usually from Couriers I will pass it on when they get home. I have never been asked to sign for someone else's Signed For or RMSD - I didn't think Royal Mail were allowed to do that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Agreed, if I have taken something in, usually from Couriers I will pass it on when they get home. I have never been asked to sign for someone else's Signed For or RMSD - I didn't think Royal Mail were allowed to do that.
    yeh that's a no no- recorded and tracked are ok but no to SD's

I always take it round or pick up. If I don't the kids will open it

Craftsman
    I always drop it round to the neighbours. We are all on good terms and know one another fairly well so that does help.

That's only for 4 or 5 houses though.

Delighted to hear that the mystery was solved. If only the postie had left a card, it would have saved a lot of worry and grief. They probably make more 'errors' over the busy seasonal period.
    I have had numerous 'deliver by 1 pm' parcels arrive at 1630. They clearly are very busy.

Master
    Blog Entries

I take it round as soon as possible,I also ask for a card to be left so there is no misunderstanding.

I’ve just moved house my neighbour and I agreed to accept each other’s mail it seemed the best for both. of us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    A few months ago I sold a jacket on ebay, and posted normal second class (this now has a partial tracking facility added). Buyer claimed it was not received, Royal Mail said it was delivered to "the address or a neighbour" on their website, remember this is not signed for.
    This is very interesting. I've not sent standard 2nd class via a Post Office recently so hadn't seen this. Do they print a tracking number on the receipt?

Was it by any chance classified as a Small Parcel or Medium Parcel? As I recall, these did/do provide 'free' delivery tracking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I have had numerous 'deliver by 1 pm' parcels arrive at 1630. They clearly are very busy.
    Don't forget to claim for the postage cost.

(Just to recap, either recipient or sender can enter a claim with Royal Mail. Priority goes to sender if both claim at the same time).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This is very interesting. I've not sent standard 2nd class via a Post Office recently so hadn't seen this. Do they print a tracking number on the receipt?

Was it by any chance classified as a Small Parcel or Medium Parcel? As I recall, these did/do provide 'free' delivery tracking.
    Hi Mark? Yes, Royal mail have started adding a printed number to the receipt for second class parcels. It's not tracking as such, but does provide proof of delivery that eBay for example will accept in the event of a dispute.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Hi Mark? Yes, Royal mail have started adding a printed number to the receipt for second class parcels. It's not tracking as such, but does provide proof of delivery that eBay for example will accept in the event of a dispute.
    Ah, thanks.

I think they've been doing this for parcels (i.e. Royal Mail parcels, as distinct from Parcelforce parcels) for a very long time indeed. As I recall, the Royal Mail parcels service used to be listed as a separate product/service. More recently they seem to have rolled it into 1st class and 2nd class mail, but I guess they kept the 'free' tracking for items categorised as parcels. If that makes sense.

Master
    It does. Sort of. But recently they have added a code to the receipt which works on the Royal mail track and trace Web page. It doesn't show delivery signatures etc but does state if they have considered it delivered. In the event a delivery dispute is opened, eBay will side with the seller if this page declares it delivered. In the one problem I have encountered, ebay sided with me, Royal mail compensated me £20 plus postage, which I then refunded to the buyer as is only right.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    It does. Sort of. But recently they have added a code to the receipt which works on the Royal mail track and trace Web page. It doesn't show delivery signatures etc but does state if they have considered it delivered.
    Yup, I know what you mean and I am (sort of) fairly sure that's been there for 10 years or more on Royal Mail parcels.

But I don't often send anything by 1st/2nd class Royal Mail parcels so I could be misremembering.

Anyway, it's there now which is nice.

Just to clarify, Royal Mail are now putting 2D barcodes on items when you post through a Post Office (only when they print off a gold postage label for your item, not if they just use stamps).

If you use some of Royal Mail’s business services then they are also doing 2D barcodes on those too.

1st and 2nd Class (and 24 and 48) Parcels have been “trackable” for a while now using the long ass code. As of late last week, I have also been able to track Large Letters (not sure if it has been rolled out across all accounts yet).

Let’s just say, from personal experience, that of the people who claim their stuff hasn’t arrived, about 95% of them are lying ;)

Really handy to have, and most buyers haven’t heard of them yet, so it’s catching out a lot of very dishonest people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    Just to clarify, Royal Mail are now putting 2D barcodes on items when you post through a Post Office (only when they print off a gold postage label for your item, not if they just use stamps).

If you use some of Royal Mail’s business services then they are also doing 2D barcodes on those too.

1st and 2nd Class (and 24 and 48) Parcels have been “trackable” for a while now using the long ass code. As of late last week, I have also been able to track Large Letters (not sure if it has been rolled out across all accounts yet).

Let’s just say, from personal experience, that of the people who claim their stuff hasn’t arrived, about 95% of them are lying ;)

Really handy to have, and most buyers haven’t heard of them yet, so it’s catching out a lot of very dishonest people.
    Very interesting and useful information, thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    Thanks, that is very handy to know!

Craftsman
    Very interesting regarding the 2D barcodes. My local post office lady is quite often bemused at the number of special delivery items I send In a week, but I’ve always found it to be a reliable service. Albeit expensive for some lower value items

Just to clarify, 2D delivery confirmations can still be wrong. I have had a few customers deny receipt despite 2D showing confirmation of delivery. We also have a customer who returned some stuff to us, the 2D tracking shows the item delivered to us but we definitely did not receive it (confirmation shows it being delivered on a Saturday - our warehouse is closed on a Saturday and the front gates firmly locked, so there's no way they would have been able to get to the door to deliver it anyway). I'd say it's 95%+ accurate though, and it's great considering it's included in the price of standard items (well for us anyway, not sure about over the counter at the Post Office).

2D tracking/delivery confirmations are great for very low value items - but for anything worth a bit more, tracked & signed for is the way to go, or Special Delivery.