closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ruislip to City Airport and Back: Best way?

Master
    Blog Entries

Ruislip to City Airport and Back: Best way?

My cousin is flying into City Airport tomorrow and has a couple of big suitcases. Im debating driving over to get him but it looks a horrid journey. It'll be from Ruislip HA4 to the airport and back. Plane lands at 3pm.
    AA route planner takes you right around the M25 until the M11 then down. It looks a lot easier to go North Circular but I'm guessing crap traffic wise.
    Any ideas?

Worst way, I can hop on the tube and meet him at the airport to help him lug them back.

Cheers Dave

DLR and tube would be a long but relatively painless journey.

North circ could easily turn into a shitfest, especially if the weather gets drippy
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I would go tube and DLR
    North circular will be horrid both on the way and on the way back at that time

Yep Central line to Bank or Stratford then DLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers.
    Tube it is!

Master
    Tube is best

If you drive, M25 and M11 would be the most consistent but expect traffic on the M25 coming back

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Yep Central line to Bank or Stratford then DLR.

My London pad is in insalubrious Woolwich so I use the City Airport branch of the DLR regularly. It might look illogical but the interchange with the Central Line at Stratford is a shorter walk than Bank and you have a better chance of getting a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    My London pad is in insalubrious Woolwich so I use the City Airport branch of the DLR regularly. It might look illogical but the interchange with the Central Line at Stratford is a shorter walk than Bank and you have a better chance of getting a seat.
    Similarly, if I'm going from City airport into the West End I always take the DLR to Woolwich and then a train into Charing Cross. The journey time can be guaranteed to be at least 10 minutes more but it will be a lot more pleasant and doubly so with luggage.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Might I suggest a couple of other options,

Drive to, Woolwich Arsenal station, m25, a2, south circular, Woolwich arsenal station, park and dlr the couple of stops to the airport?
    No bridge and tunnel to deal with in rush hour but still the lack of schleping large cases in the tube at rush hour.

Second option is take the Woolwich ferry, same route as above but you get two very short cruises too, not really that serious as the waiting time for boats can be quite long around this time, but if you’ve never done it before it’s all about the journey after all.

EDIT: Or ignore me because my London spacial map seem to be corrupted - the Woolwich ferry is still nice though ;-)
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 13th December 2017 at 08:56. Reason: Numpty

That’s a coincidence, I made that exact journey last week from Ruislip to London City. We left at 4pm and it took us 3.5 hours to get round the North Circular to London City. We worked out we could have run through town quicker. Most horrendous journey I’ve done in a long, long time. Take tube and DLR...think it’s about 70-80 mins total.

Take the opinions out of it, and use the Transport for London (TFL) travel planner which will tell you the fastest route based on a date and time.

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/re...t&ToId=1002000

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Take the opinions out of it, and use the Transport for London (TFL) travel planner which will tell you the fastest route based on a date and time.

"Fastest" isn't necessarily the best when you're travelling with luggage.

That said, the interchange at Canning Town from Jubilee to City Airport/Woolwich branch DLR couldn't be easier- one escalator as the platforms piggyback each other. If the Finchley Road interchange is nice and easy (I don't know it, wrong corner of London) this could be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    "Fastest" isn't necessarily the best when you're travelling with luggage.

That said, the interchange at Canning Town from Jubilee to City Airport/Woolwich branch DLR couldn't be easier- one escalator as the platforms piggyback each other. If the Finchley Road interchange is nice and easy (I don't know it, wrong corner of London) this could be a winner.
    I had to satisfy myself so I checked, and it's across an island platform at Finchley Rd so really couldn't be easier.

I reckon we have a theme for TZUK Great Race. We all start from the same point in Ruislip and head for City Airport by different routes. Lots of whacky capers en route. Even a grand prix for the winner.

https://youtu.be/bWmH5FFgX44

Last edited by BillyCasper; 13th December 2017 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Citymapper is generally a better option (it doesn’t restrict you to TLF options).

Craftsman
    Here's my suggestion: DLR to Stratford, overland to Willesden Junction and meet your contact there. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so if the connections dovetail.

Master
    Any time I use LCY, I never consider anything else other than the DLR.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Update:

Journey done, went by car in the end, (basically ignoring all advice). My cousin had two enormous bags, (light boxes for a New Years DJing gig), so coudn't be arsed to drag them on the train.
    To be fair, not a bad journey. Getting over there for the 3pm landing was easy. Going back, a little more snarled up. Both times used M11 / M25.
    Train definitely the better option for speed but this was good as it gave us a chance to catch up!

Wacky races sounds like a great idea. Like a WIS cannonball run?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Update:

Journey done, went by car in the end, (basically ignoring all advice). My cousin had two enormous bags, (light boxes for a New Years DJing gig), so coudn't be arsed to drag them on the train.
    To be fair, not a bad journey. Getting over there for the 3pm landing was easy. Going back, a little more snarled up. Both times used M11 / M25.
    Train definitely the better option for speed but this was good as it gave us a chance to catch up!

Wacky races sounds like a great idea. Like a WIS cannonball run?
    Supermarket sweep?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Supermarket sweep?
    We've only got a Waitrose mate.