closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 93150 bracelet clasps differences?

Rolex 93150 bracelet clasps differences?

Afternoon all,

I've two Rolex 93150 bracelets, both with 501b hollow end links, but there are differences to the clasps, as you can see in the below image:

1. The upper has a more sloped flip tab (photo one)
    2. The upper has a detente indent on the far right, which the lower does not (photo one)
    3. The upper has a blank flip tab, but the lower has two lines scored into it, matching the rest of the clasp and continuing the appearance of links (photo 2)

Any ideas when the differences were made/possible to date them with the differences shown?

Many thanks,
    Hugh
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 12th December 2017 at 18:49.

I have noticed the older clasp design to be on 93150's pre 1990 (5513s) and the newer design from 1991 on the Submariner 14060

Master
    The upper one is the worst version, because the fliplock cannot be replaced if damaged, the whole clasp has to be replaced. Its an earlier version.

The lower one can be repaired to a larger degree, as the riveted pin and the fliplock are available as spare parts, they also fit the newest version of the bracelet.

Craftsman
    Very interesting post, hadn’t noticed this before.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Upper clasp is older. The fliplock grooves are an evolution of the design.
    You can date them exactly by checking the clasp code which should be engraved above steelinox and cross referencing on oysterworld.de

I suspect the clasp change was around the 16800-16610 transitional period.

Thank you all - very interesting indeed and thank you for sharing your expertise.

The top one is from a 1990 16610, so by the sounds of things, right on the cusp of this particular clasp style being changed.

I prefer the feel on the clasp and flip lock on the upper version, but it may just be in better nick than the lower so has a firmer and more positive action to it.

And thank you Verv for the point about the codes - I hadn't realised they were on there:

Upper: M9 (1988 September)
    Lower: LT7 (2009 July)

Is it usual for a clasp to predate the age of the watch itself, or is the clasp likely to have been replaced at some point? Seems odd to replace it with an even older one if so!
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 13th December 2017 at 23:06.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's possible that the bracelet or clasp has been changed at some point. Either through stretch to the original leading to a full switch or polishing to the crown ending up in a change for a fresher clasp. They're interchangeable.
    If it's in good condition I wouldn't worry.
    (I prefer the old clasp too)