closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Electricians out there who can help?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Could be that the MCB tripping - provided the shock/vibration to release the conductor from it's loose grip. Could be worthwhile rechecking all MCB terminals, and also socket plates in the house - for slackening.

Al
    People don't get it that loose wires will vibrate at 50 times a second, loose terminals are the cause of a lot of house fires , I hope the sparks checked all of the others while he was there

Cheers for all the input everyone.

Basically the spark arrived, firstly he checked that the MCBs were functioning, then he checked my ceiling rose wiring and then proceeded to check all of the other fittings upstairs. He found that they were getting virtually no power.

He then went back to the consumer unit and checked all of the mcbs and that’s when he discovered that the incoming wire was sitting loose inside the mcb and not secured.

He fixed this and then checked all the the lighting fixtures and switches. The diagnosis and fix took a matter of minutes but to be fair to him he checked loads of other stuff whilst he was here.

We’re completing on the sale of our house next week and the last thing I wanted was for any issues to crop up for the new owners.

I was joking with him that from now on, I’ll just get an electrician in to sort stuff.

Thanks for the update and glad it turned out to be something simple

I had something similar after having my extension put up. Eventually after a process of elimination I found that on a lot of the sockets and switches, the guy who wired it just popped the wires in and then must have forgotten to turn the screw. I asked him later and he couldn’t explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I had something similar after having my extension put up. Eventually after a process of elimination I found that on a lot of the sockets and switches, the guy who wired it just popped the wires in and then must have forgotten to turn the screw. I asked him later and he couldn’t explain it.
    I apprenticed as a sparks, you would be amazed at how rubbish electrical fittings have become, in houses the standard used to be MK logic, yet now the approvals have been so relaxed most of the stuff about is Chinese crap, the same goes for cable, the % of actual copper in it is getting lower and lower, the next thing will be to eliminate screw terminals altogether. I had to do a five year apprenticeship and then work the tools on my own for six months before I became an approved electrician, if you look at the training now its a joke, I get contractors in to do stuff at work the lack of training always becomes obvious. We had to do Regs and practice and principles. we had to understand how and why everything was the way it was, now they don't.

sorry about the rant, but he probably did do the screws up.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I apprenticed as a sparks, you would be amazed at how rubbish electrical fittings have become, in houses the standard used to be MK logic, yet now the approvals have been so relaxed most of the stuff about is Chinese crap, the same goes for cable, the % of actual copper in it is getting lower and lower, the next thing will be to eliminate screw terminals altogether. I had to do a five year apprenticeship and then work the tools on my own for six months before I became an approved electrician, if you look at the training now its a joke, I get contractors in to do stuff at work the lack of training always becomes obvious. We had to do Regs and practice and principles. we had to understand how and why everything was the way it was, now they don't.

sorry about the rant, but he probably did do the screws up.
    I agree about the fittings, on some of these cheap sockets/switches it is really difficult to get a nice tight connection, sometimes it may feel tight and in fact if forced through a tight spot on the thread you can acheive several more turns of the screw

Old school apprentice trained, qualified plus HNC etc and agree about modern training
    Last edited by Montybaber; 15th December 2017 at 09:06.

Might be clutching at straws here but any of you electrical experts based anywhere near south west London or north East Surrey? Problems with motor actuated vents in a conservatory controlled by a Vent Engineering TF44R panel. Local electricians are not interested in anything that seems a bit hard and Vent Engineering don’t have any capacity due to the fall out from Grenfell and having to check so many smoke systems in housing blocks, care homes, schools.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Might be clutching at straws here but any of you electrical experts based anywhere near south west London or north East Surrey? Problems with motor actuated vents in a conservatory controlled by a Vent Engineering TF44R panel. Local electricians are not interested in anything that seems a bit hard and Vent Engineering don’t have any capacity due to the fall out from Grenfell and having to check so many smoke systems in housing blocks, care homes, schools.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would have happily taken a look for you but unfortunately down in deepest darkest Dorset and flat out with work myself, sorry