closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Field Watch

Field Watch

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has any good field watch recommendations?

Been looking at the Hamilton Khaki, but not sure it represents great value? For example for a field watch around the 300 quid mark a 50 water resistance seems flimsy.

Other option could be a Seiko SNGZ15 at half the price; very similar design to the Khaki with the dial and bead blasted case, has the 7S26 movement and 100m water resistance and being Seiko I know the quality will be there, but I already own three Seiko's and don't want my collection becoming too Seiko heavy!

Anyone any experiences of these watches? Or recommendations of other good value field watches? Is the Timex Expedition Scout a good alternative - seems almost too inexpensive by comparison.

Thanks.

Master
    The hamilton is a great watch for the money imo. 50m WR is more than enough for a field watch.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    The hamilton is a great watch for the money imo. 50m WR is more than enough for a field watch.
    Thanks for the reply mate. In your opinion what makes it a great watch for the money?

Master
    Just one of those watches where it all works well together. Good quality movement (plus the lack of hand winding on many seikos stops me wearing them at all), good looks, very well built. This isn't to say that the seiko is not a good watch in its own rights, I just happen to prefer the hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Just one of those watches where it all works well together. Good quality movement (plus the lack of hand winding on many seikos stops me wearing them at all), good looks, very well built. This isn't to say that the seiko is not a good watch in its own rights, I just happen to prefer the hamilton.
    Yeah sure. Thanks. I do like the design and am keen, just hesitant about whether it represents good value compared to similar types of watches. Need to read and watch some reviews I guess!

I picked up a really nice Kemmner field watch from the sales corner on here. Here's an eBay link to the watch: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kemmner-M...oAAOSwEHpZJq--

I can certainly recommend the Seiko SNGZ15, great watch!

Far better than this pic in the flesh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Yeah it's a cracking looking watch. Is that the 13 or the 15 - my understanding is the 13 comes on the bracelet and has the brushed finish, whereas the 15 comes on the strap and has the bead blasted finish.

Master
    A lot depends on what you want the watch for and if you will wear it often enough to justify the cost?

You really can't go wrong with the Hamilton Khaki Field. Nicely proportioned, based on a known and respected Hamilton original, with a quality ETA 2824 workhorse movement, and importantly a sapphire crystal. For a watch of this quality the price is very reasonable. There are different versions/sizes including manual wind if you want the full vintage experience and it is available on either bracelet or strap. The water resistance is of no consequence, unless this is the main reason for buying - in which case you probably need a divers watch. As already stated, the movement hacks and hand winds - neither of which is possible with the Seiko.

The Seiko, whilst being a worthy watch in its own right, has only a mineral "Hardlex" crystal, arguably a more basic though reliable movement and suffers from the "Seiko short fingers" where they use quite a small dial inserted into a larger diameter chapter ring - not something I like at all.

If you can afford it, it would be the Hamilton every time for me - it is a classic.
    Last edited by UKMike; 12th December 2017 at 16:23.

Aren't Hamilton poised to release a new/old field watch?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...light=hamilton

And I discovered this recently:

https://www.karlskronawatch.com/prod...ic-field-watch

Master
    Bit of a crossover but the Seiko Sarb017 is a worthy contender. 200m water resistant, sapphire, hand wind and hacking, less than £300. And more unique (Admittedly not totally unique) than the other suggestions.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the CWC G10. The epitome of functional field watchery if you can get over the tiny size.

I've been trying to get a field watch that suits all my needs for years without success. I bought a 40mm Hamilton Khaki but ended up returning it as the lack of AR on the crystal meant it was basically a small wrist mounted vanity mirror. It was otherwise ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    Bit of a crossover but the Seiko Sarb017 is a worthy contender. 200m water resistant, sapphire, hand wind and hacking, less than £300. And more unique (Admittedly not totally unique) than the other suggestions.

Thanks mate. I already have a Sarb017, decided against using it as a field watch though even though it's built to take it, just because it's too nice! Want something a bit more rugged with more of a military field look. Cheers 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Thanks mate. I already have a Sarb017, decided against using it as a field watch though even though it's built to take it, just because it's too nice! Want something a bit more rugged with more of a military field look. Cheers 👍
    Know exactly what you mean. I have one, and a Sinn 556a which would also make a great field watch but is also too nice. I think there is a danger that the Hamilton may fall into the same trap, they are very handsome in the flesh.

Citizen Promaster PMD56-2951/2

Craftsman
    I have owned Hamilton khaki in the past and the poor anti-reflection spoils a nice watch. The best bang for buck all round field watch i have is this Victorinox, 100m waterproof with sapphire anti-reflective crystal,ETA auto movement etc....

Look at the Timex Waterbury range, they're much better than the Expedition model. Avoid the quartz Hamilton Khaki as they have battery issues. The new CWC Sapphire G10 looks great but is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Yeah it's a cracking looking watch. Is that the 13 or the 15 - my understanding is the 13 comes on the bracelet and has the brushed finish, whereas the 15 comes on the strap and has the bead blasted finish.
    It's the 15, bead finish. I had a Seiko bracelet that my brother bead blasted and complements the watch well.

Master
    a other vote for CWC, had a navy auto once, cracking watch. not cheap new now tho.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Aren't the Smith's PRS-29a and b a good fit for your field watch desires? They seem to go for very reasonable prices on the SC.

Journeyman
    Hi David,

You want a military looking watch? As others have said above CWC G10 Quartz on a nato. Why have one that 'looks' military when you can get one that is

If you want something mechanical, a CWC or Hamilton G10 from the 70's rugged in a tonneau case - don't like the 70's look? go a little older and get a Smiths, great watches with a super movement.

Or does it have to be new? look on the wrist of someone in the field for real, you will probably see a GShock.

All that said, the Hamilton Field is a great looking piece, if I wanted something to look like a mil' it would be a contender, of course, you could always jump down the W.W.W. rabbit hole

Journeyman
    The Khaki Field Auto is 100m water resistant.

Master
    As said take a look at the Hamilton khaki field as some are 100 mt rated.
    Nite mx and some of the Traser range are rated to 100 mt as is some of Bertucci watches.
    I own a couple of khaki field in quartz and mechanical and wouldn’t be too concerned about the rating for a field watch.
    If you decide on 50mt rating have a look a Marathon too.
    Happy hunting :)

Master
    How about something from Nite watches. most are under £500 , even the autos. seem decent enough for a field/beater.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

If 41mm is OK I'd take a look at the Glycine Combat vintage 7. 100m WR

320 USD from Jomashop right now so reasonable even with duties
    https://www.jomashop.com/glycine-wat...-19at-tb2.html

I like the Hamilton as a watch, and bought one, but it doesn't actually work too well “in the field” because of the reflective crystal:

If you like the style, it's a good one. If you actually intend to use it outdoors, I prefer the Seiko Monster:

It is much more legible...

And as tough as you need...

In any conditions...

Even by the pool...

Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 14th December 2017 at 12:12.

Master
    Actually, a Monster is the obvious choice-if you like them that is?

The Glycine Combat would also be my recommendation.

Another possibility is a Damakso such as the DA46

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

The Seiko is quite a bit larger than the smaller Hamilton Khakis. I've had both and, as had been said, the Khaki is not particularly legible, whereas the Seiko is, but is far too large (for me). I think a field watch should be unobtrusive.

The G10 would be perfect if it had painted white hands rather than the polished metal that disappear at the wrong angle.

Master
    Take a look at the new CWC which has better water resistance.

I have a Hamilton khaki 38mm auto and wear it practically every day. Work, sailing, treking/climbing and biking.
    It has taken it all in its stride and still looks good. I have just put it on a nato and it is very comfortable too.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Master

Great choice!

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Another possibility is a Damakso such as the DA46

Very nice 👍

Marathon navigator?

Apprentice
    If I were going to plough a field and felt the need to wear a watch I’d wear a gshock

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    If I were going to plough a field and felt the need to wear a watch I’d wear a gshock
    Seems you badly misunderstand what is meant by 'fieldwork'. Carry on anyway.

Citizen PMD56-2951.
    Sapphire crystal, movement that's tougher and more accurate than most, toughened titanium, perpetual calendar, eco-drive, 40mm or thereabouts. 200m water resistance. Looks good on nato, bracelet or canvas. What's not to like?
    Last edited by Man of Kent; 16th December 2017 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Actually I like your definition of a field watch.

My diver was mocked, so how can one become an authentic field master?

With the Seiko, err, Fieldmaster...

(borrowed pic)

I know the idea behind the definition of field watches but are there any hard and fast rules? I had assumed welded spring bars but can't seem to see any civilian watches with these. There's a Sinn 556a on SC which may fit the bill and OPs budget.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Citizen PMD56-2951.
    Sapphire crystal, movement that's tougher and more accurate than most, toughened titanium, perpetual calendar, eco-drive, 40mm or thereabouts. 200m water resistance. Looks good on nato, bracelet or canvas. What's not to like?
    Great shot one of my favourites, just wondered if you’ve tried to synch it with a simulator?

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Great shot one of my favourites, just wondered if you’ve tried to synch it with a simulator?
    My son has the jjy simulator on his iphone, and we tried it once, on portable speakers, and it does work. I haven't needed to synch it since because it's only gained a couple of seconds in weeks. The racket the simulator makes is horrible, which is another reason for not bothering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    My son has the jjy simulator on his iphone, and we tried it once, on portable speakers, and it does work. I haven't needed to synch it since because it's only gained a couple of seconds in weeks. The racket the simulator makes is horrible, which is another reason for not bothering.
    Thanks good to know.
    Cheers.