closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new guitar

My new guitar

I know there are a few of you on here that play guitar so I thought I'd put a quick post on here showing my latest purchase - a McCarty 594 Double Cutaway.
    This is my first guitar from PRS and I have to say it plays extremely well, lots of different tones courtesy of the 58115 pups with coil splits, resonates and sustains forever, very solid feel with quite a chunky "vintage pattern" neck, and the fret work is superb.

Apologies for the photos as I know there is quite a lot of reflection ...

Master
    The neck... Dear God, the neck!!

I don't play the guitar and know nothing about them .... but that is beautiful! ;)

Master
    That is a thing of beauty. What is that paint finish called?

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    That is a thing of beauty. What is that paint finish called?
    The colour is an Aquamarine stain over the top and back of the neck.
    The top is AAA flame maple (or "10 Top" as PRS call it) and the neck a AA flame maple, so the markings are actually in the wood rather than the paint finish - and that top has got to be one of the nicest pieces of flame maple I've ever seen!

Master
    Looks lovely!

HNGD!

I would have preferred the back of the neck to have been left natural to match the body but it looks a nice bit of work.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Now thats a work of art, bloody gorgeous, enjoy!

I love playing guitar, have done for years even tho my ability doesn’t show it!

Master
    Well done Mr Stoat. I have three US PRSes myself, they're very moreish, I find. I love that neck.

That is a real beauty!
    I love the PRS signature inlay, want to try something similar on this one, when I get up the nerve!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    HNGD!

I would have preferred the back of the neck to have been left natural to match the body but it looks a nice bit of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Well done Mr Stoat. I have three US PRSes myself, they're very moreish, I find. I love that neck.
    Ah yes, the neck ... it's a "Wood Library" special order hence the stained flame maple neck rather than the standard mahogany on the McCarty models.
    The contrast between the neck and the plain lacquered body reverse just blew me away looks wise as it was so unexpected.

Plays like a dream and I agree with Monogroover that these could be terribly more-ish ... it just seems to fit my hands perfectly and the tones are superb!

That looks very nice, Rich. I can only imagine that, if that fits you perfectly, then I could only play it in the manner of a double bass (which, incidentally, was my instrument of choice when I blagged a pass in my Leaving Cert music exam).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman

Gorgeous

Very nice indeed. A PRS is next on the list for me and the 594 sounds great. My only concern is it may sound a little more Les Paul-ish and less like a PRS - happy to be convinced otherwise:)

Craftsman
    Peachy, I’ve always been a little confused by PRS neck profiles so never quite got there. Bought myself a Gibson SG this week and realised that I should have tried one decades ago. The moral being;try the fat fat chicks too, you don’t know until you’ve tried it out! Appropriately, Rosie is on the playlist.... Enjoy your new frets.

Craftsman

My new guitar

I expect the build quality is better than many modern day Gibson’s too.
    Last edited by steve1ramsey1; 12th December 2017 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post
    Very nice indeed. A PRS is next on the list for me and the 594 sounds great. My only concern is it may sound a little more Les Paul-ish and less like a PRS - happy to be convinced otherwise:)
    Hmmm I'm not sure you would be convinced, the 594 is voiced to be very Gibson like right from the low wind vintage pickup, 24.594 scale length, and the slightly thicker body that leans more to a Les Paul than say a PRS Custom 22/24 ... but I can say the tone is superb and the addition of coil taps for me makes it superbly versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1ramsey1 View Post
    Peachy, I’ve always been a little confused by PRS neck profiles so never quite got there. Bought myself a Gibson SG this week and realised that I should have tried one decades ago. The moral being;try the fat fat chicks too, you don’t know until you’ve tried it out! Appropriately, Rosie is on the playlist.... Enjoy your new frets.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1ramsey1 View Post
    I expect the build quality is better than many modern day Gibson’s too.
    The SG is definitely on my to try list as not only do they look ultra cool but they also look a little more comfortable to play compared to a slab bodied Les Paul, I've owned a few Gibson over the years and a Les Paul never seems to stay with me very long as I find the thick slab body digging in when playing sitting down is a deal breaker. The only Gibson guitars I've so far kept are a 1998 Les Paul Standard Double Cutaway (contoured body and styled very much like a PRS) and a Flying V (superb guitar and everyone should own one!)

PRS build quality is superb, I'm blown away to be honest.