closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Impressions - Casio Oceanus Tough MVT

First Impressions - Casio Oceanus Tough MVT

I'd been looking for a titanium watch for a while, and having had two Breitling Aerospaces in the past was hovering towards another one.
    Although they are brilliant watches, quartz, good-looking, light, different time zones etc I'd forgotten that what it was that I didn't like about them ... the fact that sometimes, mainly in the dark I found it hard to read the displays.
    Like a lot of people on here I also have a G Shock GW 5600 which I use for traveling, because as everyone knows it's such an ordeal having to move the hour hand backwards and forwards when you change time zones.
    Then, a few weeks ago this came up on SC

To give its full title it's a Casio Oceanus OCW s100-1AJF
    41mm titanium case, titanium bracelet, sapphire crystal, weighs in at 90gm, solar powered, radio controlled, 29 time zones and UTC and the best bit is, at first glance it looks like a normal watch.
    The dial is clear and easy to read and the hour markers are edged very subtly in blue, so from certain angles you get a blue flash when the light hits them.
    It reminds me a bit of the second time zone hand of a Grand Seiko GMT I used to have, which is one I really do regret selling !!
    I think the movement is the same as a GW 5600 and it has a really cunning way of changing time zones.

Around the minute track you have all the different time zones.
    Pull out the crown and the second hand moves to point to the current time zone. A quick turn to move to a different zone, push back in and the hour hand moves to the new time. It's like magic.
    There's another push switch which tells you if the watch has synchronised correctly with the radio transmitters. It does it six times a day.

Both the case and bracelet are really well made, the clasp feels secure ... no sharp edges and it wears really comfortably.
    The only down side is that the centre 'link' in the bracelet is part of the case so you can't wear it on a nato or leather strap. For me that's not an issue.
    All-in-all it's a brilliant watch and I've been wearing it every day since it arrived.
    It cost less than £300.

Master
    Nice write up and i agree these are a lovely watch and i have owned many casios and still have a GW5000.

These used to be my holiday watches but i feel the GPS watches from Citizen/Seiko are easier to sync to local time and cover more areas.

Take nothing away from this watch it looks lovely.

Blog Entries
    Nice review of a watch that a lot of us here don't really appreciate. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the write up, looks like the ideal 'grab and go'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Had mine for about three (four?) years at this point - I have the lighter blue face - it is indeed the perfect grab and go - or holiday watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Nice write up and i agree these are a lovely watch and i have owned many casios and still have a GW5000.

These used to be my holiday watches but i feel the GPS watches from Citizen/Seiko are easier to sync to local time and cover more areas.

Take nothing away from this watch it looks lovely.
    gps watches are massive though aren't they?

i love the idea of these casios, discrete, tough, very versatile

only thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger is the lack of a ktm home zone
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

A mate of mine has one of these - stupidly good value and it works really well, especially if you're wanting something a bit 'smarter' than a G. Comfortable too if I remember correctly.

Is this a Japanese market watch, or a European one?

Master
    I've hankered after one of these for a while. Perfect travel watch! It's a Japanese only model as far as I know, as is indeed the entire Oceanus line.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Isn't it titanium carbide as well? So nigh on scratch proof. Or is that another Oceanus model?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Isn't it titanium carbide as well? So nigh on scratch proof. Or is that another Oceanus model?

It is indeed pretty scratch proof!

I've admired this watch for all of it's functionality since seeing it on the Nick Shabbaz (ignore the voice if you can, he's a bright guy with a sensible approach to most things) YouTube channel. He's more of a knife/torch reviewer but has moved into watches and has fairly quickly changed from being a "quartz is the only sensible option" to owning a PO and I think a Speedy.

The Oceanus is a great watch but the only thing putting me off is the blue tint to the crystal and the blue accents on the plots. They don't look too prominent in the OP's review but I've seen shots like this, which are too much for my tastes.

This is the lighter blue

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

The Oceanus is a great watch but the only thing putting me off is the blue tint to the crystal and the blue accents on the plots. They don't look too prominent in the OP's review but I've seen shots like this, which are too much for my tastes.

Good grief, that looks truly awful.
    All I can say is that mine looks like my original pictures and not like it's been photographed through twelve layers of blue clingfilm.

Master
    That's just an unfortunate angle capturing the AR coating.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    gps watches are massive though aren't they?

i love the idea of these casios, discrete, tough, very versatile

only thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger is the lack of a ktm home zone
    Not any more

Bought this for £375 in Feb this year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Sat...ds=citizen+gps

Blog Entries
    Really lovely watches for the money, and great looking as well.

For 300,- it's difficult to find something better in that area.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Were did you get it for around £300?

I paid around £500 for mine by importing it from seiya in japan.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Were did you get it for around £300?

I paid around £500 for mine by importing it from seiya in japan.
    Mine was on Sales Corner, but even at £500 I think it's a steal.

I believe that used to be mine !...lovely lovely watch and it was a real do I or don't I decision to sell as I love the G shock tech in a smart package...I've grown to love the wearability and comfort of Nato straps and found the bracelet a hair puller for me...If I could have swapped the strap out I'd have definitely kept it...glad you're enjoying it OP