closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Things to do around the top of Scotland (Inverness etc)?

Master

Things to do around the top of Scotland (Inverness etc)?

It's that time again, where I go somewhere I haven't been before and ask for the advice of those who have. Sure, I want to say I've been to Loch Ness but I'm sure it's hardly spectacular so what else is around there? I'm going to be heading there in the next few weeks and a little concerned I don't currently own either an AWD car or a car fitted with winter tyres, but I'll be as prepared as possible for any nasty weather other than that.

I quite fancy a drive to John O' Groats, again, just to have been there, but open to any suggestions. We won't have that long. Four day total trip from setting off in Manchester to arriving home due to work commitments unfortunately.

Aviemore is nice to visit. Might get a bit of skiing in too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Aviemore is nice to visit. Might get a bit of skiing in too.
    I've never skied. Something I'd like to try, but never got round to it. Knowing me, I'd injure myself and jeopardise us getting back in time

This is proving incredibly popular......

http://www.northcoast500.com/

North-West is best. Although I have a soft spot for the Moray Coast.

John O’Groats isn’t great IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Never heard it put so politely.
    Plus, it isn't even the most Northerly point on the mainland anyway

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    North-West is best. Although I have a soft spot for the Moray Coast.

It depends, I was once talking to a Geologist who waxed lyrical about the change in geology when you travel to John O'Groats via the A99. But everyone else agrees its shite...

Winter is a strange time to visit Scotland, but if you must, then I would suggest a visit to the Cairngorms...

Matt....

This may help too.......

http://www.visitinvernesslochness.com/

Master
    Worth a look if you are in the Inverness area:

http://www.moraydolphins.co.uk/watch...nry-point.html

I'd definitely recommend visiting Fort George, a short drive out from central Inverness. You'll get a fantastic history lesson, as long as it's not raining then the colder the better as you'll really begin to appreciate how it all was back then for those standing guard.

Oh, and don't bother with John O unless you're going to Orkney!

Loch Ness is pretty damn beautiful. Indeed, the surrounding lochs are also stunning. The whole area has some of the most stunning scenery I've ever laid eyes on.

I presume you don’t fish? Otherwise take a day trying for a salmon, as the East Coast rivers can be excellent. Ask in the fishing tackle shop in Helmsdale.

If you like to see countryside then drive up the A9 and at Lothbeg, just before Helmsdale, take the road through Glen Loth to Kinbrace, Syre, Altnaharra, Lairg and back to the A9 at Golspie, perhaps stopping at the Craisk Inn for a wee dram. You will see some of the last real open spaces in the UK - a fantastic drive. The Clynelish distillery at Brora (near Golspie) is worth stopping at, if only to replenish supplies.

If you can, get over to the Commando memorial at Spean Bridge. Well worth the detour and some time of reflection.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Definitely the Culloden Battlefield. Be prepared for a 2-3hr visit. The museum is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Definitely the Culloden Battlefield. Be prepared for a 2-3hr visit. The museum is excellent.
    It certainly is - Mrs Gunn and I had a great time there and could have stayed for longer. The live actors they use to present what happened on the battlefield are excellent, particularly the guy who spoke about loading the muskets.

If it's anything like Glasgow this morning it'll be -7 and covered in ice all day

But it'll be colder probably.

Couple of nice pubs in Ullapool and Mallaig, some great scenery too but I rather think the weather will be a limiting factor at this time of year.

+1 on the Commando memorial too

RSPB at Forsinard if you're into birds

West is best though
    Last edited by acg; 11th December 2017 at 10:03.

From Inverness you will be close enough to drive over to the Isle of Sky for a day.

From Glasgow head up the west to Skye through Loch Lomond and Glencoe. Stay in Kinloch Lodge or The Three Chimneys. Lots to do on Skye if you have time.

Drive to Ullapool for lunch at the Ceilidh Place via Applecross and the Bealach na Ba. Then drive to Durness to visit Smoo cave via Achiltibuie and Kylesku. Find a place to stay or drive in the dark south. Stay in Altnaharra or the Crask Inn for a friendly remote setting.

Next day head south through Lairg to Inverness stopping at Loch Ness /Urquhart Castle if you like.

This trip will give you the best of the Highlands and make you want to come back for more.

Some suggestions from a former resident of Culloden and Forres:

Culloden Battlefield.
    Findhorn Bay & lunch at the Kimberley Inn.
    Eilean Donan Castle & Plockton.
    Isle of Skye & The Three Chimneys restaurant.
    Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle
    Glen Affric.
    A Distillery Visit; the choice is huge!
    Moray Firth Dolphin Boat Trips.
    Orkney. Get the ferry from Scrabster (near John O'Groats) and visit: the Italian Chapel; Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae.

That should keep you going for a while. Enjoy!

Craftsman
    I’d only go as far north as Dunrobbin castle, beyond that it is awful.
    Agree re taking in Skye/Applecross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    From Glasgow head up the west to Skye through Loch Lomond and Glencoe. Stay in Kinloch Lodge or The Three Chimneys. Lots to do on Skye if you have time.

Drive to Ullapool for lunch at the Ceilidh Place via Applecross and the Bealach na Ba. Then drive to Durness to visit Smoo cave via Achiltibuie and Kylesku. Find a place to stay or drive in the dark south. Stay in Altnaharra or the Crask Inn for a friendly remote setting.

Next day head south through Lairg to Inverness stopping at Loch Ness /Urquhart Castle if you like.

This trip will give you the best of the Highlands and make you want to come back for more.
    Good to see the Crask Inn is still open.

https://thecraskinn.com/2017/11/25/w...can-get-to-us/

When I was up there a year or so ago it was up for sale.

We stopped by on a Thursday lunchtime, just as the prayer service was ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    I’d only go as far north as Dunrobbin castle, beyond that it is awful.
    Agree re taking in Skye/Applecross

Dunrobin isn't open over the winter, a shame as it's a great place to visit, they also put on a fantastic falconry display. I agree that there isn't much beyond that in terms of scenery on the East coast, the West and North are much more spectacular.

I've driven the Bealach na Bla up to Applecross and completed the "loop" after that, a wonderful stretch of road however it's quite likely to be closed in the middle of winter and probably not something I'd do for pleasure if the weather was a bit iffy for fear of having an off / being stranded! The Applecross Inn is a good spot for lunch, though.

Test your warm jacket with a visit to Altnaharra, often the coldest place in the UK.

When are you looking at coming up Wayne?
    Everything I’d recommend has been said all ready, the west coast is lovely.
    If you play golf, you could play Royal Dornoch / Fortrose, Castle Stuart is closed until March now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you’re going as far as JOG take the ferry over to Orkney and visit the Italian WWII POW camp chapel. Very humbling and shows how the Orcadians took the Italian soldiers and people into their community. There are other wwii historical sites there.

Have a great time and keep a keen eye on the weather and daylight hours. Very short days.

If you’re passing Scotland’s Capital Wayne, gives a shout. Coffee on me as Mr and Mrs Cregan will testify - we know great coffee and cake shops 😜😜

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    If you’re passing Scotland’s Capital Wayne, gives a shout. Coffee on me as Mr and Mrs Cregan will testify - we know great coffee and cake shops 

Jim

It is true, Jim is a genuine gent, and a local legend in parts of Edinburgh (and beyond!)
    Still on a diet after the last cake Jim bought me!

Craftsman

Loch Ness certainly looked stunning today.

Craftsman

Scenery from over the weekend in Fort Augustus, lovely but a bit cold at -8

(I know you're going to Inverness, so I'm not saying you should visit the West Coast on this trip; even Skye seems like a bit of a trek, if I'm honest)

Another plug for the West Coast and Islands. One of my favourite parts of the UK:

Tarbert (smoke)
    Last edited by Broussard; 13th December 2017 at 11:18.

Craftsman
    Nice thing about visiting up north at this time of year is there is precious little daylight, so you’ll need to find yourself a decent pub/restaurant from about 3:30pm. Plenty of decent options in Inverness!
    Riva is a great Italian, and mustard seed is always good

A friend of mine spent two weeks with his brother, a crofter very near Ben Loyal. He spent the time taking some amazing photos, and trying as many single malts as possible.
    A most gratifying pastime if you ask me!

Craftsman
    I think Glen Ord is the nearest distillery to Inverness with a visitor centre. It’s at Muir of Ord and well worth a visit. The A9 North of Inverness is pretty monotonous so if you’ve only got a few days I wouldn’t bother. Head down to Kintail and visit Plockton instead.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Findhorn.
    Gorgeous area plus there's a sex cult.

Master
    I just want to say a massive thank you for these recommendations; I have been adding them to my map on Google as the replies have come along, and now perhaps have too many places, so another trip is in order lol.

Jim, thank you for your very kind offer but we're so short on time, I don't think we'll manage to get to you unfortunately.

Busted in Inverness!

Spotted you in your Merc, at Longman Roundabout, just before Kessock Bridge this morning.

Enjoy your trip Wayne - sorry about the weather

I am presently dining outside by Loch Ness.
    It is positively tropical up here for this time of year!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Busted in Inverness!

Spotted you in your Merc, at Longman Roundabout, just before Kessock Bridge this morning.

Enjoy your trip Wayne - sorry about the weather
    Haha no way, I hope I was driving like a good Mancunian!

Its so mild here. I’m disappointed there’s no blizzards but it’s beautiful in this country, wow, really breathtaking.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I am presently dining outside by Loch Ness.
    It is positively tropical up here for this time of year!
    Have you ever been to that restaurant with the post office and all the mugs on the ceiling Andrew? It's on the side of the road and a kind of apricot colour.
    It's the strangest place but the food was gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Have you ever been to that restaurant with the post office and all the mugs on the ceiling Andrew? It's on the side of the road and a kind of apricot colour.
    It's the strangest place but the food was gorgeous.
    I believe that you may be referring to here?

http://www.spanglefish.com/oakwoodrestaurant/

If so, you could see it from where I was eating earlier today!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes that's the one!

Very memorable. We went from "does this belong to a serial killer?" To "don't care this is amazing" :)

Gonna go back next year on the way to the nc500

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yes that's the one!

Very memorable. We went from "does this belong to a serial killer?" To "don't care this is amazing" :)

Gonna go back next year on the way to the nc500
    Fantastic. Have a great time.
    Remember to book accommodation in advance, as the NC500 is proving so popular that people can’t find anywhere to stay!

http://www.northcoast500.com/

Master
    Thanks again for the recommendations. Followed a lot of them. The Mustard Seed restaurant didn't happen and the guy on the phone was pretty rude, but we did go to Riva which was excellent last night. We also went to one a few doors down from there called the River House... it was one of the best meals I have ever, ever had. The monkfish was unbelievable, you must go there if you haven't been. We also had a great lunch in John O' Groats, which, to be honest, was much more fun place than we anticipated. Really liked it there, filled a few hours nicely.

A few phone pics...

Glad you had a great time
    I was in the City myself again this afternoon.
    Riva is a personal favourite for great Italian food, and a stunning view of the castle.
    The City is on the up in numerous ways.

Looks fantastic Wayne, I really need to find time for the trip one day..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Glad you enjoyed your break Wayne.
    Riva is excellent, but River House is a notch above.
    These breaks always seem to be to quick so you’ll just need to get back up again 😀

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Glad you had a great time
    I was in the City myself again this afternoon.
    Riva is a personal favourite for great Italian food, and a stunning view of the castle.
    The City is on the up in numerous ways.
    Yes that view was brilliant at night with the castle all lit up, and the bridge decorated with ,multi-coloured xmas lights.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Looks fantastic Wayne, I really need to find time for the trip one day..
    Honestly, the most I've released in a good while. Scotland is incredible, I can't believe I don't go more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Glad you enjoyed your break Wayne.
    Riva is excellent, but River House is a notch above.
    These breaks always seem to be to quick so you’ll just need to get back up again 
    Thanks, yes you're right. We always have too little time on our hands which is annoying, but I suppose seeing some of it is better than nothing. It's a shame we didn't get to see the dolphins and a couple of other things own this trip but I have a feeling we'll be back around that area asap, especially if I get this new car I'm after.