closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chosing a rental in Orlando; Alamo's 'nomenclatura'

Blog Entries

Chosing a rental in Orlando; Alamo's 'nomenclatura'

My wife's family travels from CAN to FL during these days, and we join them as we did since the 90s. This time the Orlando area. For years we've been using Hertz cars, this time an Alamo car. A 'Full Size' in Alamo-speak. Can someone give me an idea what I can expect? 4 people, two large boys and at 4 suitcases have to be transported. And oh, being in the USA, I don't want a European car.

So... ideas, tips, hints, do's/don'ts... all is welcome!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 10th December 2017 at 18:53.

You won't get a European car; they're all described as "premium". You'll either get a domestic (Chevrolet Impala/Dodge Charger/Ford Taurus) or a far eastern (Toyota Avalon/Nissan Maxima/something Korean). And don't hold out hope for a V8 - most now have 4 cylinder engines, with optional V6s (which you most likely won't get, as it's a rental car and therefore will be the cheapest spec. they can buy). You might get lucky and get a V6 if the manufacturer had too many in inventory and wanted rid.

I'd say if you get the choice, go for the Impala; they're supposed to be quite good. I had a Malibu (mid-size) on rental last time I was in the states and it was better then I was expecting - not Audi/Mercedes build quality, but pretty good for an American car. They are built to a price, and generally it shows.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Plug

Get a Dodge Caravan or Grand Caravan if you can - it's an SUV - fast, powerful and very spacious.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Get a Dodge Caravan or Grand Caravan if you can - it's an SUV - fast, powerful and very spacious.
    Just this once i agree with TFB

Blog Entries
    We had a couple of Impalas in the past. Large cars indeed. I remember a Grand Marquis as well. Total barge, the size of Cornwall but oh what fun: 1100 rpm @ 60mls/hr. I also remember -around 2000/01- a Ford Mustang cabrio. Took me ages to find out how to adjust the seat: a 'joystick' on the front side of the seat: reaching down in front of your crotch and jiggling... Awkward views for passengers and people outside the car...

You're right about the entry level of the trim. Nothing with the car, so to speak. Leather perhaps...

When we went to FL together years ago - must have been in the early/mid 90s- there were alarming incidents about people in a rental car getting mugged from the airport to their hotel. As a result, rental companies removed all signs of 'rental'... nowadays, the cars are stickered up with barcodes, Tennesee Commerical plates (home of most rental companies; no state tax) and ugly GPS antennas.

M.

Blog Entries
    https://www.alamo.co.uk/fleet/us/

Take your pick! Me it would be - Luxury SUV- Lincoln Navigator got to be!

Plenty of choice as usual.

Agreed on this, the only problem we had last time we took one was trying to find it in the park lots as 95% of all family car rental were also the Dodge caravan!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    https://www.alamo.co.uk/fleet/us/

Take your pick! Me it would be - Luxury SUV- Lincoln Navigator got to be!

Plenty of choice as usual.
    Yes, I've seen that. But it still puzzles me. When I go online and try to book a car for that period, I get the full size (E.g. Nissan Altima) for 2/3 of the premium price which is a... Nissan Altima.

It was a number of years ago, but I got given one of those as an "upgrade" at BWI when the car I'd booked turned out to have the check engine light on (so I rejected it). The Caravan was a 3.8 V6 with a 4 speed autobox and completely hateful to drive - sluggish, boat-like handling and thirsty like you wouldn't believe; 12 MPG. OK gas was cheap in them days but even so..

I guess they're fine if you need to haul around 7 people, but I thought it was a complete dog. Let's hope they've improved.

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Yes, I've seen that. But it still puzzles me. When I go online and try to book a car for that period, I get the full size (E.g. Nissan Altima) for 2/3 of the premium price which is a... Nissan Altima.
    It is confusing. On that page I see the Fullsize Nissan Altima or similar listed twice...with differing luggage capacities.

You may be getting one of their USA Car Hire Deals..."Full size cars at great prices."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    It is confusing. On that page I see the Fullsize Nissan Altima or similar listed twice...with differing luggage capacities.

You may be getting one of their USA Car Hire Deals..."Full size cars at great prices."
    Here you go! Good find! When I go to their website and try to figure out how and how much, the first question is 'from what country are you?' (paraphrased)

M

Go there incognito and try several countries
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    We got a Chevy Suburban a couple of years back - comfortably took 6 adults and 6 suitcases. Nice to drive as well.