closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A question for any foresters here

Craftsman

A question for any foresters here

Just to satisfy my idle curiosity. On my drive to work they have felled a small copse of trees and the trunks have been stacked, some of which have already been collected. There is a large pile of the smaller branches left. I was wondering will these be collected or just left to rot away over time

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The stacked timber is probably ready for allocation and collection by those who excercise the commoners right of estover- conferred right to harvest firewood that comes with certain forest properties.
    The trimmings are (I think...)usually left to decay and sustain insect and bird life-at least that's what happens here (new forest)
    I suspect if it's forestry commission land, the policy will be the same.
    Some infected timber is burned and gorse is usually maintained and managed by controlled burning
    Goat

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    The stacked timber is probably ready for allocation and collection by those who excercise the commoners right of estover- conferred right to harvest firewood that comes with certain forest properties.
    The trimmings are (I think...)usually left to decay and sustain insect and bird life-at least that's what happens here (new forest)
    I suspect if it's forestry commission land, the policy will be the same.
    Some infected timber is burned and gorse is usually maintained and managed by controlled burning
    Goat
    Thanks for that

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Could just be the owner?

Curious situation nowadays is that in the S of England the best market for hardwoods, except planking or veneer quality timber, is often as firewood. Much cheaper to harvest too, since you can cut it how and when you like, fell it in varying amounts to suit the local firewood market. (Then sell in John Lewis car park at £10 a net. "It's 100% organic firewood Missus...")

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    There is a large pile of the smaller branches left. I was wondering will these be collected or just left to rot away over time
    Generally left to rot unless theres a fire hazard or disease reason not to. Does so quite quickly in a woodland setting as it never seems to dry out and become seasoned.