closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bathroom Ventilation - Extraction or Positive Pressure

Craftsman

Bathroom Ventilation - Extraction or Positive Pressure

Hi,

I am looking for the best way to ventilate a bathroom.

I have been looking at extractor fans on timers and also at loft supplied over pressure systems.

Each has pluses and minuses however real world advise and experience is what I am looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Although I persevere, I've never been convinced about extractor fans - they never seem powerful enough, plus of course they need a small opening somewhere to draw air in (aka a window ajar which the women chez moi refuse to do as it's too cold!).

I'm not familiar with other methods.

Master
    I have an extraction fan in the ceiling above a large walk in shower which is activated via the light switch and is very effective without opening windows.

Don't imagine a positive ventilation system will be enough to clear the 'steam' when shower in use. It's going to ventilate the whole house so little effect in the bathroom but good for keeping overall moisture levels in the house down.

I'm in a similar position OP. Our two bathroom fans are cheap rubbish.

I think I'm going to give these guys a try https://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/....asp#section-5

Some good advice on there at the very least.

Positive pressure will force bathroom humidity and smells into the hallway/bedroom.

If possible - fit a bifurcated extract fan in the loft space, so that you get one suitable for the bathroom size, and also to minimise the noise in the bathroom.

There will be a formula online for the recommended capacity.

Al

Master
    I used ‘Monsoon’ in-line fans in all the bathrooms/utility/kitchen. Very impressive, and so much neater in the rooms to just have slim grills or ducts. Like this one:

https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/umd-...SABEgLx1fD_BwE

Bathroom Ventilation - Extraction or Positive Pressure

We have always on fan, plumbed through the wall like a dryer vent. Almost silent when running 24/7, and boosts to a faster speed when humidity exceeds 70%.
    We also have an extractor, which stays on post light switch off for 5 mins, but it just wasn’t doing the job, and bathroom was always damp. It’s perfect now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Cool, thanks for replies.

I am looking at something like a Unity CV3 or similar always on fan.

We have 2 bathrooms fitted with extractor fans that are linked to the bathroom lights and they keep both bathrooms dry. The house is fairly modern construction but not sure if that has a bearing? They get noisy after a couple of years, £30 and a screwdriver later (remembering electrical safety) you’re good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk