closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 6 Nations

Well done Ireland, wish I was back in Dún Laoghaire out celebrating with you guys.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    +1 ,though at that exact moment will be on route to USA but as it's an Air Lingus flight I'm sure will keep us updated on the score.
    Most of the aer lingus US flights have the option to purchase WiFi on them.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 ,though at that exact moment will be on route to USA but as it's an Air Lingus flight I'm sure will keep us updated on the score.
    Most of the aer lingus US flights have the option to purchase WiFi on them.

Master
    I don't know who was worse, England or the officials. No excuse for so many bad decisions with the benefit of TMO and against BOTH teams. The last 10 minute rally wasn't enough for England to deserve to get anything out of the game and Jones needs a re-think ahead of Ireland.

Master
    It has been awful watching England in the 6 Nations this year. We seem to have wound the clock back 10 years.

Master
    I watched Ireland's last grand slam finale win in 2009 in Atlanta airport, we were returning from a tour to Savannah. About 40 blokes crowded round a laptop. Good times...

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    “Wooden spoon contenders” Wales up to second in the table!

Aye it wasn't a classic this arvo.
    And feel sorry for the likes of a massive player like Parisse. He truly is world class!
    Nonetheless the quality in depth showed up with Wales and makes for an interesting final fixture against the Frogs next week.
    Ireland deserve their winners slot but not sure that they are the finished item!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    For every Paul O’Connell there’s a Jeremy Guscott who had the opposite view and was convinced it was a penalty try according to the laws as written.

England are just under par at the moment, but they’ll be back I’m sure, and will be tough opponents for next years RWC. The last two defeats may even do them some good in the longer term.

Well done Ireland, deserving champions!

I hear what you are saying, but don't forget Guscott played in a completely different era, different rules, different fitness, different game. O'Connell has been there and seen it in the current era, like Wilkinson, etc, hence should be listened to instead of an old hack.

But I am sure we will see a reenergised England (with a few new faces)come the start of the RWC.

What at this session has taught me is how influential Ben Youngs is and how Care cannot manage the game for 80 minutes, and I never thought I would say that.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but don't forget Guscott played in a completely different era, different rules, different fitness, different game. O'Connell has been there and seen it in the current era, like Wilkinson, etc, hence should be listened to instead of an old hack.

But I am sure we will see a reenergised England (with a few new faces)come the start of the RWC.

What at this session has taught me is how influential Ben Youngs is and how Care cannot manage the game for 80 minutes, and I never thought I would say that.
    Youngs has been streets ahead of any other English SH apart from maybe Wrigglesworth in terms of game management over the past 3/4 years. Care looks great behind a functioning pack with quick ball but his tactical kicking is poor and definitely suits the finisher role more (though I'd love to see Dan Robson given a chance as he's been playing brilliantly for Wasps past two seasons. Glad to see Eddie has finally seen sense and brought Don Armand in. I do wonder if he'll use the Ireland match as means of blooding a few newer players and shifting Farrell back to 10, T'eo to 12 and Joseph in at 13. Not sure what Henry Slade has to do to be given a chance mind.

Master
    Slightly strange that relegation discussion has ended this weekend?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    Slightly strange that relegation discussion has ended this weekend?
    Italy have been absolutely dire this year and are no better than when they first joined the tournament. In fact they were arguably better then with Troncon, Castro, Bergomasco etc.

Complete waste of time having them in the tournament.

Congratulations to Ireland on a well deserved victory.

Watching England was extremely frustrating, as it didn't look like they wanted to win until the last 10 minutes. Daly is a class act, George didn't do enough to displace Hartley, Itoje had his first decent international game in a while. Sinkler looked sharp and was aggressive when he came on.

There was an interesting point made in the Times this morning about England's breakdown woes. It said that the England team follow the Premiership teams' model of under committing at the breakdown. Personally this could be true, but I think the England players have been flogged to death and many look jaded and in need of a decent break.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    Italy have been absolutely dire this year and are no better than when they first joined the tournament. In fact they were arguably better then with Troncon, Castro, Bergomasco etc.

Complete waste of time having them in the tournament.

Congratulations to Ireland on a well deserved victory.

Watching England was extremely frustrating, as it didn't look like they wanted to win until the last 10 minutes. Daly is a class act, George didn't do enough to displace Hartley, Itoje had his first decent international game in a while. Sinkler looked sharp and was aggressive when he came on.

There was an interesting point made in the Times this morning about England's breakdown woes. It said that the England team follow the Premiership teams' model of under committing at the breakdown. Personally this could be true, but I think the England players have been flogged to death and many look jaded and in need of a decent break.
    My comment was very tongue in cheek as England could potentially be in the bottom two this year, and no one seems to mention a relegation play off game anymore.
    Agree fully regarding player fatigue, it seems that when Welsh players move to the English premiership they get flogged half to death, and conversely when they move to France they get underplayed as parts of huge squads.

Craftsman
    I think it was a penalty try. It was an illegal tackle, which prevented a try from being scored. It's a very harsh one, and there was very little the defender could have done differently - but this is the area where referees are apparently under strict instruction. If it would be a penalty anywhere else in the field (which I think it would have been), then it's a penalty try and yellow card in that scenario. Harsh for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    I hear what you are saying, but don't forget Guscott played in a completely different era, different rules, different fitness, different game
    Funnily enough though, he played in the era where that kind of tackle would never have been a penalty. That said, POC retired before they really clamped down on it. I didn't watch it on the BBC, so not sure what either said for sure.

I was going to say that bonus points ended up not having an impact this season, but if England knew that they just had to get any win in France rather than two 4 try wins in a row, it may have lead to a different game yesterday? Thinking back to 2015(?) where 3 teams were very much in the mix on the last day, it'd be a shame if those days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    There was an interesting point made in the Times this morning about England's breakdown woes. It said that the England team follow the Premiership teams' model of under committing at the breakdown.
    I think one of the England players said this was the case too following the match.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I think it was a penalty try. It was an illegal tackle, which prevented a try from being scored. It's a very harsh one, and there was very little the defender could have done differently - but this is the area where referees are apparently under strict instruction. If it would be a penalty anywhere else in the field (which I think it would have been), then it's a penalty try and yellow card in that scenario. Harsh for sure.
    I thought it harsh especially adding the yellow card. He didn't actually get the player around the neck anyway it was more down the shoulder which spun him around. But the big problem is that you can commit to tackling at a certain height and then the opposing player starts to dive for the line. What would have been a fair height suddenly becomes not and the defender pretty much has no chance to adjust.

Re: previous post .
    Not quite sure why there even the slightest query regarding the penalty try. The law refers to 'a probable try or a try in a more advantageous position' - i.e.the scoring of it doesn't have to be doubt free.
    Regarding some previous correspondence involving definitions and the like,could we please refrain from calling them 'rules' and 'linesmen/lineman' (even !). This is Rugby Union - they are Laws and Touch Judges /Assistant Referees respectively.
    We are all supposed to love the game so please can we show it some respect by not using the nomenclature of Association Football.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I thought it harsh especially adding the yellow card. He didn't actually get the player around the neck anyway it was more down the shoulder which spun him around. But the big problem is that you can commit to tackling at a certain height and then the opposing player starts to dive for the line. What would have been a fair height suddenly becomes not and the defender pretty much has no chance to adjust.
    Ref didn't have an option as the way the Laws are currently any act of foul play that prevents a try and causes the award of a penalty try is also sanctioned with a yellow. Harsh but unfortunately no room for referee pragmatism as a couple of years ago that would have been classed as a trysaver. I think Jonathan Caplan (old Tri Nations ref) has previously commented on the double punished nature of it.

It was a great weekend of Rugby, hopefully Ireland can secure the Grand Slam

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TomRea View Post
    I certainly hope not! Fingers crossed for the England bounce-back. I'll be cheering from the East Stand with a St. Patrick's day Guinness in hand.

Surely that should be Ireland and Northern Ireland , as both deserve the honour.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Surely that should be Ireland and Northern Ireland , as both deserve the honour.
    Ha ha you would think so but actually there is no N.Ireland rugby team. Unlike football there is a single unified national team with rugby

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ha ha you would think so but actually there is no N.Ireland rugby team. Unlike football there is a single unified national team with rugby

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Actually I think it's the Island of Ireland that is represented - rather than Ireland (the country). However given the success of Ulster perhaps NI should have their own team and replace Italy?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Actually I think it's the Island of Ireland that is represented - rather than Ireland (the country). However given the success of Ulster perhaps NI should have their own team and replace Italy?
    Um, Ulster are doing pretty horribly at the moment! The league table probably flatters them; they're in terrible shape both on and off the pitch.

And yes, it's the island of Ireland; hence the team is not called the "Republic of Ireland" like our wendyball team is.

Craftsman
    Ford dropped for Farrell at 10

Still dont get why Haskell is a 7

Quote Originally Posted by cypermethrin View Post
    Ford dropped for Farrell at 10Still dont get why Haskell is a 7

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cypermethrin View Post
    Ford dropped for Farrell at 10

Still dont get why Haskell is a 7
    ford was pretty much MIA in the last two games, plus I think this game will be played through the forwards hence the inclusion of Haskell - brawn rather than brains.

Alas with Owen as ref, I cannot see this strategy ending well for England - if I am right.

Should be an epic tussle all the same.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Um, Ulster are doing pretty horribly at the moment! The league table probably flatters them; they're in terrible shape both on and off the pitch.

And yes, it's the island of Ireland; hence the team is not called the "Republic of Ireland" like our wendyball team is.
    Yes, Ulster are an utter shambles at the moment, and likely to get worse before it gets better.

Thankfully though we can forget all about that on Saturday and hopefully bring the slam home.

Andyg - perhaps your information is incorrect.
    According to World Rugby ( perhaps they know!) the referee for England vs Ireland is Angus Gardner of Australia. Nigel Owens has (only very recently) been appointed 2nd Assistant Referee.
    However,one shouldn't let facts intrude on another person's perception.

Craftsman
    ^ Owens has been made assistant because WR had dispatched the previously allocated one to England training by mistake. Loads of time for Nige but can’t help but think we’ll be hearing from him at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiefan View Post
    Andyg - perhaps your information is incorrect.
    According to World Rugby ( perhaps they know!) the referee for England vs Ireland is Angus Gardner of Australia. Nigel Owens has (only very recently) been appointed 2nd Assistant Referee.
    However,one shouldn't let facts intrude on another person's perception.

Clearly the website site I got the information from was incorrect - it happens.
    As for my perceptions, they are what they are based upon watching Nigel's over many years, just as I had perceptions about Steve Walsh. Perceptions shared by many.

Friedrich Nietzsche

BBC..."they're painting the lines blue" at Twickenham. They're expecting snow...

I'm really looking forward to a mega rugby fest this afternoon, watching all 3 games on the TV. Each game looks interesting in its own way, to me at least.

My prediction is wins for Scotland, Ireland and Wales, so a good day for the Celtic nations. But I could be wrong, but probably not about Scotland!

Scotland Woeful so far.
    Looking forward to England vs Ireland.

Master
    I think this has been the most unpredictable championship for years regarding match wins.
    I had Scotland down for an easy victory over the Italians.

Craftsman
    Virgin media has just went down all over Dublin! It better be fixed in time for the match.

Gutted for Italy, Scotland back to form.

As I said above, a Scotland win was never in doubt. Ahem!

Here we go ... come on Ireland

Craftsman
    Going to be a long afternoon...

Master
    And a great start for us, still almost an hour to go.

Italy were unlucky! Just ran out of steam. They played the better rugby for the most part.
    C'mon Ireland!
    Its been pointed out that we'd hear Nig Owens voice and rightly so too!

Craftsman
    Consistency clearly a problem for everyone on the field bar Ireland...

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Consistency clearly a problem for everyone on the field bar Ireland...
    Including the officials in the England vs Ireland game, and what is the TMO for if he can’t even see a clear knock on

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Including the officials in the England vs Ireland game, and what is the TMO for if he can’t even see a clear knock on
    I was being subtle..!

Craftsman
    Ireland given penalty for outcome based ‘neck roll’. Ireland not penalised for intention to play ball in air that takes Jonny May out in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Ireland given penalty for outcome based ‘neck roll’. Ireland not penalised for intention to play ball in air that takes Jonny May out in the air.
    And didn’t look at the outcome hands in the eyes of Jonny May in the same incident

But England still look ponderous and worried

If you English fans think you're losing because of the ref or TMO then you are rather missing the point! As a neutral, I think the officials have been pretty fair and good so far.

Somebody had better order EJ a big bar of Lux.

Master
    Great day for the scummy Irish. Proud to be scum.