Thread: 2018 6 Nations

Master
    Well done Ireland. Never really looked in doubt tbh

Apprentice
    Fantastic result

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Consistency clearly a problem for everyone on the field bar Ireland...
    Quote Originally Posted by welshlad View Post
    If you English fans think you're losing because of the ref or TMO then you are rather missing the point! As a neutral, I think the officials have been pretty fair and good so far.
    Ireland are clearly the better team.

Well done Ireland. An easy victory but I'm sure they only 'won' because of the 'poor officials'

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Well done Ireland. An easy victory but I'm sure they only 'won' because of the 'poor officials'
    I wondered who would be the first petty poster.

Well played Ireland, today and throughout the championship. It's a good job Sexton got that monster last-minute drop goal in their first match against France! That was the springboard for the Grand Slam.

England coming in 5th, and under Eddie Jones - who’d have thought it. Comprehensively outplayed.

Well done, Ireland! Formidable team.

Yup - anybody could easily see that our win was all down to luck, and that England clearly were robbed of a well deserved Grand Slam by wicked and corrupt refereeing.

Master

2018 6 Nations

Ahem, did i mention Stockdale earlier? Tbf England didn’t give up but there seems to be something of a malaise, all is not well. Well played Ireland fully deserved win, championship and grand slam. Happy camper!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Nev; 17th March 2018 at 17:54.

My whole hearted congratulations to Ireland on an excellent campaign.

Nothing else to say, except roll on to next year and the RWC. Ireland must certainly fancy their chances of a place in the final. We shall see.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My whole hearted congratulations to Ireland on an excellent campaign.

Nothing else to say, except roll on to next year and the RWC. Ireland must certainly fancy their chances of a place in the final. We shall see.

How does it feel Andy to have the 2nd worst team in the 6 nations

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

Hurting much ? I'm certainly not the first though, that's been happening for weeks about the officials, funnily enough it was always the England fans when their team lost

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by zippy; 17th March 2018 at 18:09.

Master
    Ireland clearly the best team and deserved winners of the tournament.
    England’s lack of discipline and ability to go to plan B/C is not new. Too few changes to the squad, too much misguided faith in experience, not enough opportunities given to form players.
    Jones out, get a Kiwi coach in from one of the Super Rugby teams now to get the right squad together playing a dynamic game for the World Cup.

Come on Wales ...

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Ireland clearly the best team and deserved winners of the tournament.
    England’s lack of discipline and ability to go to plan B/C is not new. Too few changes to the squad, too much misguided faith in experience, not enough opportunities given to form players.
    Jones out, get a Kiwi coach in from one of the Super Rugby teams now to get the right squad together playing a dynamic game for the World Cup.

In all seriousness England lack serious creativity, and why Jones allowed their indiscipline to continue match after match was puzzling.

Hurting much ? I'm certainly not the first though, that's been happening for weeks about the officials, funnily enough it was always the England fans when their team lost

- - - Updated - - -
    Most people hate a bad loser, Everyone hates a bad winner.

As for the officials I suggest you take a bit of time and actually watch the matches. Ireland's first try was as a result of a knock on in addition to Carney grabbing Watson arm, their 3rd try might have been the result of a forward pass, we won't know because the TMO never bothered to check it. But perhaps most disappointing was that England were not awarded a penality try at the end of the first given the numerous infringement by Ireland, so much so that they had a player binned. A scene repeated at the end of the second half.

fortunately none of this matters, so why not just enjoy the victory and leave the petty baiting to those on Twitter.

Also remember what goes around, comes around.
    Last edited by Andyg; 17th March 2018 at 18:39.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

To be fair, Englands discipline has been sadly lacking for quite some time.

This 6N has been, however, the worse.

If you English fans think you're losing because of the ref or TMO then you are rather missing the point! As a neutral, I think the officials have been pretty fair and good so far.
    Didnt see anyone say that’s why England were losing but it’s hugely frustrating when you see inconsistency and a system that is meant to check things and has every single camera angle and slowmo and then
    doesnt see something that 95% of people watching TV can see

personally it also worries me that the game is starting to get a bit too sanitised, a high tackle should be penalised and dangerously taking someone out in the air as well but what we are seeing now, in what is meant to be a fast and physical game, is taking a lot of competition out of the game. When you have players of such different statures and the speed the game is now played at the ‘any over the shoulder tackle is a high tackle’ is frankly dumb and don’t think it has anything to do with safety.

As for the officials I suggest you take a bit of time and actually watch the matches. Ireland's first try was as a result of a knock on in addition to Carney grabbing Watson arm, their 3rd try might have been the result of a forward pass, we won't know because the TMO never bothered to check it. But perhaps most disappointing was that England were not awarded a penality try at the end of the first given the numerous infringement by Ireland, so much so that they had a player binned. A scene repeated at the end of the second half.

fortunately none of this matters, so why not just enjoy the victory and leave the petty baiting to those on Twitter.

Also remember wants goes around comes around.

I'd strongly advise you to take note of your own advice and it's great to see you still blaming the officials. For the record, I watched every game in the 6N.

Apprentice
    I'd strongly advise you to take note of your own advice and it's great to see you still blaming the officials. For the record, I watched every game in the 6N.
    Couldn't agree with you more

My biggest challenge is to find a Cheeky Vimto to celebrate the grand slam.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Delighted with that, and fair play to the more magnanimous posters. The officiating was not a deciding factor by a long shot. This could be a good thing for England though; better to know now there's things to be fixed, rather than a few months before the RWC.

Winning is obviously brilliant, but this was without Heaslip & O'Brien for the whole campaign and Van der Flier & Henshaw for the latter stages. The squad depth is great to see.

If only Italy had won it would have been a perfect weekend. England second ... from last LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    My biggest challenge is to find a Cheeky Vimto to celebrate the grand slam.
    I think that it's the wrong day of the week for the place that I'm aware of. Steer clear of the homemade stuff.

And congrats, worthy winners. I'm hoping that you have more than the GS worth celebrating.

My celtic clean sweep predicted earlier for today came true......just! Phew!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My celtic clean sweep predicted earlier for today came true......just! Phew!
    I personally think the Wales/France match was the best of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Steer clear of the homemade stuff.
    I have heard rumours of palm wine but I shall be affording it a wide berth.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Well done, Ireland. Very well played. A thoroughly deserved win today and overall.

Master

Also remember what goes around, comes around.
    i would re watch the first try if I was you , Kearney didn’t knock on

as to the forward pass ? Which pass do you think was forward for the third try ?

your impression of a magnanimous loser especially in light of your earlier posts isn’t a convincing one !

Italy/Scotland was a good advertisement for the game, too!

I personally think the Wales/France match was the best of the day.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Italy/Scotland was a good advertisement for the game, too!
    Yes indeed, the only match that didn't grip me was the England match, we were very scrappy and outclassed.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

as to the forward pass ? Which pass do you think was forward for the third try ?

your impression of a magnanimous loser especially in light of your earlier posts isn’t a convincing one !

It comes off his hand when he challenged Watson. Ref the 3rd try, the inside pass just before the try. Harley? drew it to the attention of the ref and could be clearly heard on the refs mic. I do not know whether it was flat or forward simply because it was not reviewed, however Woodwood also mentioned it at the end of the game.

As for your "impression". It is was it is, but does not make you right. I have watched 40+ 5-6 nations competitions over the years and during that time have watched England fail more than they won. This year is no different but I live in hope that next year they will do better next year, just as I always do. The fact however remains that in a very close competition and apparent inconsistencies DO make a difference to the outcome. Same as it always was.

This year was Ireland's year. They played well, got the rub of the green and deserve the plaudits, so just enjoy it because as sure that night follows day it will not continue and a time will come when (insert country) will have their arses handed to them by another team.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    It comes off his hand when he challenged Watson. Ref the 3rd try, the inside pass just before the try. Harley? drew it to the attention of the ref and could be clearly heard on the refs mic. I do not know whether it was flat or forward simply because it was not reviewed, however Woodwood also mentioned it at the end of the game.
    I think the best response to this is to paraphrase the reply you gave when we were discussing the England vs Wales disallowed try, ‘there was no knock on or forward pass because the officials didn’t give them’...

Hard luck England, but I don’t think much is learnt from winning all the time, so the last three defeats should be a good experience for them in the long run.

Most people hate a bad loser
    This year was Ireland's year. They [...] got the rub of the green
    Perhaps you should take your own advice?

The fact however remains that in a very close competition and apparent inconsistencies DO make a difference to the outcome.
    Yes, but this year's Six Nations wasn't a "very close" competition for England - you do realise that they lost 3 of their 5 games, and that if there was a play-off for relegation it would have been England v Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Perhaps you should take your own advice?

Yes, but this year's Six Nations wasn't a "very close" competition for England - you do realise that they lost 3 of their 5 games, and that if there was a play-off for relegation it would have been England v Italy?
    and they should have lost 4 games after the TMO robbed Wales of a legitimate try.... let's not go there though for the sake of Andyg's sanity

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I think the best response to this is to paraphrase the reply you gave when we were discussing the England vs Wales disallowed try, ‘there was no knock on or forward pass because the officials didn’t give them’...

Hard luck England, but I don’t think much is learnt from winning all the time, so the last three defeats should be a good experience for them in the long run.

Indeed

As for your "impression". It is was it is, but does not make you right. I have watched 40+ 5-6 nations competitions over the years and during that time have watched England fail more than they won.....
    Don't worry Andy, I have the ideal solution to your problem. The RFU should at once go ahead and have a rugby BREXIT. England would leave the 6N in an effort to take control of their game and control entry into Twickenham from those pesky johnnie foreigner types, such as the Scot's ,Irish and let's not mention the French.

England would play all their games at QH or whatever you call it , with rousing rendititions of Jerusalem standard fayre amongst the spectators. All the players would be English, the opposition players would be English mimmicking johnnie foreigner types and of course their would be no johnnie foreigner officals, only those of an Albion nature allowed.

England would win the 1N every year and when it comes to the World Cup, no Anzacs would be allowed into the country to ensure a glorious England win.

There you have it. A blueprint for English success.

Andy must be off sulking otherwise he would have taken top spot.

Master

As for your "impression". It is was it is, but does not make you right. I have watched 40+ 5-6 nations competitions over the years and during that time have watched England fail more than they won. This year is no different but I live in hope that next year they will do better next year, just as I always do. The fact however remains that in a very close competition and apparent inconsistencies DO make a difference to the outcome. Same as it always was.

This year was Ireland's year. They played well, got the rub of the green and deserve the plaudits, so just enjoy it because as sure that night follows day it will not continue and a time will come when (insert country) will have their arses handed to them by another team.
    I disagree re Kearney, its pretty clear that Watson knocked it backwards for ringrose to touch down, the pass for the third try wasnt even borderline, its not worth mentioning, you can watch the reply yourself, you hardly need the TMO to do it for you.

The main focus was on that match for obvious reasons, Mike and just pleased that the other two games provided some really exciting side shows either side.

I was genuinely pleased for Hartley (not because they lost or anything daft like that but I do believe his leadership duties have belied his playing qualities, losing some ground to the young guns in the squad) He played well.

Its a fantastic game/sport and having the ability to appreciate good rugby from whichever teams are playing is always the priority for me.

Of course support for our national team is paramount and the Anglo Saxon Celt thing only adds to the fervour at 6N time

Yes indeed, the only match that didn't grip me was the England match, we were very scrappy and outclassed.

Alas.

The only person who makes the decisions...is the ref....(with help from T.M.O. and touch judges etc)..

Nobody on here can make those decisions, the championship is over!!

Ireland re the champions!!

WELL DONE IRELAND!!

Master
    I wonder who made the final decision to lengthen the in goal area? Surely some blame could be attached to him. And the match officials.....

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Alas.

The only person who makes the decisions...is the ref....(with help from T.M.O. and touch judges etc)..

Nobody on here can make those decisions, the championship is over!!

Ireland re the champions!!

WELL DONE IRELAND!!

Totally agreed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

Certainly the pass from brown to Daly for his second try looked forward, and the ref didn't check that. No indignation at that call.......

Interesting article which talks about some of the issues raised in the thread.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...y-wider-issues

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    and they should have lost 4 games after the TMO robbed Wales of a legitimate try.... let's not go there though for the sake of Andyg's sanity
    I don't think the Wales try would actually have made a difference. If you remember the play was dragged back to the penalty advantage in lieu of the "try" which Wales kicked for 3 points. This means that had the try awarded they'd have got a MAX of 4 additional points assuming the touchline conversion was made, making the final score 12-10 to England. Regardless it's a bit of a pointless discussion as we can never know how things would have turned out with momentum etc...

Ireland deserved championship, Grand Slam and Triple Crown winners. By far the best team, although I wonder what would have happened had the Sexton DG fallen short vs France!

From the stands on Saturday I couldn't work out how the Kearney knock on wasn't spotted, but these things happen and England were no where near good enough over the course of the Championship to deserve winning.

I also found it quite funny that the only reason that Stockdale's try was possible was due to the fact that Eddie Jones asked for the in goal area at HQ to be extended by 2m for the match (as the photo below shows!).

Bring on the AI's and next years championship..! I'm a bit nervous about the summer SA tour as they're likely to be back to full strength with all of their foreign players back in.

Coaches

Some thoughts regarding the coaches involved in this year's Six Nations.
    Joe Schmidt achieved a deserved Grand Slam with a thoughful,measured approach containing nothing in the way of histrionics.
    Jacques Brunel impressed me with his decision(s) folowing the behaviour of his players in Scotland. To me it took a great deal of courage to adopt such a stance when your job may be on the line.
    Perhaps both Eddie Jones and Warren Gatland would benefit from a cessation of their distasteful,childish and nonsensical attempts at playing 'mind games' with the opposition and/or the officials? It never seems to work - thank goodness.
    Gregor Townsend has,in my opinion, made sufficient progress to satisfy many Scottish supporters whilst Conor O'Shea can be comforted in the hope that the improvements in Italy's regional game will soon filter through to the national side.