closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 6 Nations

Angry 2018 6 Nations

Well not long before it starts, so I thought I would post the fixture list. Should be a cracking championship especially with England going for a hat trick.

The AndyG prediction service will commence shortly, once Christmas is out of the way and we have a better view on who is fit and who is broken. Sounds like Warbuton is a definite miss, but that Super Maro will have recovered from his broken jaw (fingers crossed). Plus we need to factor in who is ref'ing and weather conditions.

2018 CHAMPIONSHIP

3/4 February
    Wales v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
    France v Ireland, Saturday 4.45pm
    Italy v England, Sunday 3.00pm

10/11 February
    Ireland v Italy, Saturday 2.15pm
    England v Wales, Saturday 4.45pm
    Scotland v France, Sunday 3.00pm

23/24 February
    France v Italy, Friday 8.00pm*
    Ireland v Wales, Saturday 2.15pm
    Scotland v England, Saturday 4.45pm

10/11 March
    Ireland v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
    France v England, Saturday 4.45pm
    Wales v Italy, Sunday 3.00pm

17 March
    Italy v Scotland, Saturday 12.30pm
    England v Ireland, Saturday 2.45pm
    Wales v France, Saturday 5.00pm

*Venue for this match will be announced at a later stage

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Yep going to Scotland v England and Ireland v Scotland, can’t wait

The team that most impressed me in the Autumn Internationals was Scotland.

Anyone else fancy wooden spoon team drops out to be replaced by Georgia? On a rolling basis. It would be Italy obviously, and the next tournament once again the wooden spooners drop out to admit Italy. Predictable for the first few years but it could get quite interesting if Georgia upped their game to leave a home country below them.

That would be better than a Seven Nations tournament would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    The team that most impressed me in the Autumn Internationals was Scotland.

Anyone else fancy wooden spoon team drops out to be replaced by Georgia? On a rolling basis. It would be Italy obviously, and the next tournament once again the wooden spooners drop out to admit Italy. Predictable for the first few years but it could get quite interesting if Georgia upped their game to leave a home country below them.

That would be better than a Seven Nations tournament would it not?

I think there should be a play off between the lowest place team and Georgia to see who would play in the next championship. Then do it again between the lowest placed team and the team who missed out in the previous season and so on. However imagine if the play off was between Scotland and say Wales. There would be uproar.

Hence surely the answer would be to make it a 7 nation championship and include Georgia, or create a second division including Canada, Japan, Georgia plus the winner of the previous wooden spoon to see who plays in the 6 Nations. The downside to that is that it could kill the Tripple Crown.

Previous winners of the wooden spoon include France, Wales, Scotland (4 times) and Italy (12 times) so anything is possible.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

A second division would likely work, providing the various countries' infrastructure and finance were up to it.

The Triple Crown would still be winnable but after a prolonged tournament. I am not sure it has the same prestige these days; mind you, I am still mourning the downgrading of the County Championship!

A thread resurrection, as we're only a week away from the first matches.

Thoughts? Scotland have impressed under the direction of Gregor Townsend, and looked good during the Autumn Internationals.

Ireland look as strong as ever, and must start as favourites. The Irish clubs have done well in Europe so far this season.

France appear to be going for quantity over quality, in that they seem to have adopted a policy of picking three or four small, highly skilled players, and then filling the rest of the team with the biggest units that they can find. Some of them are enormous, and this is a team which has Matthieu Basteraud (who looks like a prop) as a centre. As with Ireland, France is well represented in the knockout stage of the Champions' Cup.

Italy continue to improve, and have the wily Conor O'Shea at the helm, but even so they're probably wooden spoon candidates.

Wales are troubled by injury, and don't look too much of a threat pre-tournament, but you never know.

And England have more than their fair share of injuries to key players, and perhaps predictably a couple of bans which will keep some (Marler, Haskell) out for the first couple of rounds, but as always we have some strong replacements eager to make their case for the next World Cup. Just don't ask why Don Armand isn't in the squad.

I'm looking forward to next weekend.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Looking forward to it but no way are Ireland favourites in my eyes. They have to play at Twickenham.

In all likelihood another Grand Slam for England.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think England also - however Wales will be more dangerous then people think. Gatland seemed to have let them take the shackles off in the autumn, presumably taking note of the Scarlets style
    Last edited by kultschar; 27th January 2018 at 23:47.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I think England also - however Wales will be more dangerous then people think. Gatland seemed to have let them take the shackles off in the autumn, presumably taking note of the Scarlets style

Quinns battered the Scarlets yesterday

i will have a go at my predictions this week, but as others have said it will be very close this year. One thing I am sure of is that I cannot see it being a Grand Slam session.

Friedrich Nietzsche

England 1st
    Wales 2nd
    Ireland 3rd
    Well that’s my prediction for the top 3
    Andy

^^^ I honestly can't see Wales ending up 2nd. I think it's between Wales and Italy for the wooden spoon unfortunately, given the amount of injuries they've had.

Master
    Newspapers seem to be going for one of Ireland and Scotland as the winner, with no grand slam.

I think it will be Ireland, with Wales and England fighting it out for second place.

Master
    Wales will struggle, maybe 4th with Italy and France below them. I think Ireland and Scotland have the game to challenge England who must start as favourites

If there are any gamblers here then Scotland +2 points in Cardiff is a good bet, Wales are always slow starters, have loads of injuries and there is no way Gatland and Howley will give them the freedom to play like the Scarlets

I don't think Scotland are contenders this year.

They've a shallow pool of players & are struggling in the front row, even before the attritional 6Ns start.

They'll be exciting, no doubt, but a gallant third place at best, IMHO.
    ______

​Jim.

^^^ I agree re Scotland, although I hope they do better as they're a great team to watch nowadays.

My prediction for the final table is:

Ireland
    England
    Scotland
    France
    Wales
    Italy

But it's very close between the top two.

Master
    I mostly hope that it is in the balance until the last day. I fondly recall watching the super Saturday in my local, very much a rugby pub, in 2015. Ireland winning, and the huffy attitude of the England team when failing to win by a big enough margin, made it a raucous afternoon.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I have pondered long and hard and come up with the following. That said, I have zero idea how the French will play given the shambolic nature of their organisation and the attitude of their players

2018 CHAMPIONSHIP

3/4 February
    Wales v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm - very close, but I will go for Scotland.
    France v Ireland, Saturday 4.45pm - Ireland
    Italy v England, Sunday 3.00pm - England by lots.

10/11 February
    Ireland v Italy, Saturday 2.15pm - has to be Ireland.
    England v Wales, Saturday 4.45pm - at Twickers so it will be England by at 10+
    Scotland v France, Sunday 3.00pm - Scotland assuming it wet and cold, closer if the ground is hard and France have beaten Ireland (a shock result)

23/24 February
    France v Italy, Friday 8.00pm* - France.
    Ireland v Wales, Saturday 2.15pm - Ireland
    Scotland v England, Saturday 4.45pm - very close, but I fancy England simply because of their bench and the hope that Townsend will be injured by then 😀 England by 3+

10/11 March
    Ireland v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm - I have to go with Ireland simply because of home advantage
    France v England, Saturday 4.45pm - this will be dependant upon how France have performed in their previous games, it could be England's Waterloo!
    Wales v Italy, Sunday 3.00pm - Wales.

17 March
    Italy v Scotland, Saturday 12.30pm - Scotland at a canter.
    England v Ireland, Saturday 2.45pm . England purely to repay Ireland for last year, by 7+
    Wales v France, Saturday 5.00pm - I fancy Wales to throw caution to the wind and beat Le Frogs.

So between England and Ireland (assuming France don't turn up), then a close fight between Scotland and Wales, with France ? and finally Italy (who will collect the wooden spoon) running up the rear.

So actually a 4 Nations championship with a couple of friendlies throw in.

As an side my son's team played Midsummer Norton today and won 24-22 with the last play of the game. Very exciting if rather wet and muddy. That's 5 wins in the last 6 matches they played this year. Excellent stuff.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I have pondered long and hard and come up with the following. That said, I have zero idea how the French will play given the shambolic nature of their organisation and the attitude of their players

2018 CHAMPIONSHIP

3/4 February

10/11 February
    Scotland v France, Sunday 3.00pm - Scotland assuming it wet and cold, closer if the ground is hard and France have beaten Ireland (a shock result)

23/24 February
    Scotland v England, Saturday 4.45pm - very close, but I fancy England simply because of their bench and the hope that Townsend will be injured by then England by 3+

10/11 March
    Ireland v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm - I have to go with Ireland simply because of home advantage
    France v England, Saturday 4.45pm - this will be dependant upon how France have performed in their previous games, it could be England's Waterloo!

17 March
    England v Ireland, Saturday 2.45pm . England purely to repay Ireland for last year, by 7+
    Wales v France, Saturday 5.00pm - I fancy Wales to throw caution to the wind and beat Le Frogs.

So between England and Ireland (assuming France don't turn up), then a close fight between Scotland and Wales, with France ? and finally Italy (who will collect the wooden spoon) running up the rear.

As an side my son's team played Midsummer Norton today and won 24-22 with the last play of the game. Very exciting if rather wet and muddy. That's 5 wins in the last 6 matches they played this year. Excellent stuff.
    So basically England for the Grand Slam then?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    So basically England for the Grand Slam then?
    i still think they will slip up. Unlikely to be Ireland and Wales (at home), unlikely to be Italy, so that leaves either Scotland or France. I just cannot see Scotland winning as their squad is not big enough, so that leave France (in Paris).

But to be honest who knows what the French will do.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm off to Rome Friday and tickets in hand for the Sunday match, only one prediction from me - and thats that plenty of ale will be sunk afterwards
    Last edited by lewismark; 29th January 2018 at 18:34.

For me the only realistic Slam Stopper for England is away at Scotland. France are still poor and Ireland will find it tough to win at Twickers. So I do fancy the Slam.

BTW when are Vunipola Daly and Nowell expected back?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

BTW when are Vunipola Daly and Nowell expected back?
    Billy V and Daly will miss the entire tournament - I believe.

Nowell has been named in the squad, so should play.

Massive question marks overs Mike Brown.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Really hope England do the Grand Slam but struggling to see too much beyond Ireland at the minute. Minimal injuries, cracking pack and some real dynamism in the backs.

Craftsman
    The condensed fixture list with the increased propensity for injury now massively favours the team with the largest pool of players to choose from i.e. England. That being said with 3 away fixtures, the Grand Slam is still a big ask...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    IMG_1132.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

2018 CHAMPIONSHIP

3/4 February

10/11 February

23/24 February
    Scotland v England, Saturday 4.45pm - very close, but I fancy England simply because of their bench and the hope that Townsend will be injured by then  England by 3+

10/11 March

17 March

Spoken like a true Englishman. I hope you are as psychic as you are enthusiastic

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quinns battered the Scarlets yesterday
    Yup - expected that as practically the first team had already left and joined the Wales camp!!

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Spoken like a true Englishman. I hope you are as psychic as you are enthusiastic

So do I, however seeing Eddie's Team sheet for tomorrow game I am getting a warm and fluffy feeling. Just look at the bench and his "finishers" !! Plus Jonny May is playing - I am a fan.

Hopefully we should see a bonus point win.

The U20's did a nice job tonight.
    Last edited by Andyg; 2nd February 2018 at 22:56.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Yup - expected that as practically the first team had already left and joined the Wales camp!!

Scarlets, Ospreys and Blues all getting "treatment" tonight, by team's who have players with National Teams.

Good results by Dragons

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Ireland for the Championship, in saying that we need to get off to a good start in Paris today and WHEN we win that with the next 3 games at home the momentum will be rolling our way, I do suspect and hope it comes down to the last game on Paddy Day at Twickenham as there would be no better date or place to wrap it up!

Keep and eye on Larmour and Stockdale, they are going to be massive talents for Ireland starting now.

Lucky enough to be going to the Greenhouse to see both the Italy and Wales games, taking the old man so looking forward to it.

Master
    Well Scotland’s resurgence didn’t last long. Glad my prediction was off

Well, I quite enjoyed that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not surprised at all by the result to be honest. Less bish bash bosh by wales with a team full of on form Scarlets

Well what can I say.

Scotland gifted Wales a win after 14 minutes. That said Wales took their chances so kudos. Shame the TMO did not bother to check the 4 try as the bonus point might be critical later on. Ho hum.

Positives for Scotland - excellent facial hair, just a shame they did not focus more on their passing and line outs - priorities I suppose.

Positives for Wales - shoe ins for the worst hair cuts and a return to form from Halfpenny.

Scotland will play better in the tournament. Not sure Wales will. Neither of these teams will feature on the last day.

Next up Ireland and France and hopefully much better rugby.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by welshlad View Post
    Well, I quite enjoyed that!
    So did I.

Great result.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Scotland didnt threaten at all until the last 5 mins and Wyn Jones fell asleep. Shame they conceded like that.

Comfortable for Wales who are usually slow starters

Good to see Halfpennys kicking back on track
    Last edited by kultschar; 3rd February 2018 at 17:30.

I expected that to be closer. I think Wales expected it to be closer. Was glad to see Scotland score some points.

Craftsman
    Scotland were utterly dreadful, so naive.
    They were so keen to pass and run sideways they forget the basics of establishing a sound foundation in the game. They made Wales like a top 6 in the World team.
    The men in skirts lasted 5 mins in this years Six Nations, all that crowing through the Autumn.

Wooden spoon game is now Italy v Scotland which will be 50/50 on today's performance.

Master
    Well Ireland pinched that. Well done Johnny Sexton.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Total respect for Sexton, what a kick from that distance in those conditions, pure class.

Master
    Great first day of the 6 Nations, we stuff the Scots and France get mugged in their own back yard.
    Let's see what Italy can do to England, not a lot I suspect.

Squeaky bum time in the land of the bog-trotters, but managed to see it through. Reminded my of Wilkinson's drop against the Aussies all those years ago. Happy days

Personally I was totally underwhelmed by Ireland, in conditions that suited them, and was actually quite impressed with France (with the exception of their No5 who seemed to be on the Ireland payroll). Ireland will need to do better especially against Wales and England.

England tomorrow and only a bonus point win will be good enough.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman

Personally I was totally underwhelmed by Ireland, in conditions that suited them, and was actually quite impressed with France (with the exception of their No5 who seemed to be on the Ireland payroll).
    How the 5 was not yellow carded I do not know.
    The bloke seemed to not understand the laws of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    How the 5 was not yellow carded I do not know.
    The bloke seemed to not understand the laws of the game.

The second penalty was a no brainer. He was personally responsible for 6 of Ireland's points.

I thought Nige had a pretty good game.

Also no yellows in 160 minutes of Rugby. What's the betting England will have someone in the bin tomorrow - pretty high I imagine. Especially if it's a SA, Aussie or NZ ref.

Update - looks like we have Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France). Not familar with him, so shall pass judgement after the game.
    Last edited by Andyg; 3rd February 2018 at 20:40.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Some very questionable use of HIA by the French. Not really in the spirit of the game nor is it helping head injury prevention as people will start to question if a player needs assessment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Still cant get over the French kicker missing that penalty before Sextons drop goal! Cost me my sweepstake prediction!!

Craftsman
    That Jonny Sexton is a bloody legend. Hopefully he’ll have a stinker at Twickenham

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Some very questionable use of HIA by the French. Not really in the spirit of the game nor is it helping head injury prevention as people will start to question if a player needs assessment.

Its a good point, however who is to say that the player did not get a head injury as well as a knackered knee.

Its a tricky one.

Personally with all the subs being used these days, perhaps players who were replaced should be allowed to return if a player is injured, but only if they already got their boots dirty.

In the AndyG household we are now getting ready for my son's match tomorrow against Trowbridge. Should be a cracker and then roll on England Italy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    That Jonny Sexton is a bloody legend. Hopefully he’ll have a stinker at Twickenham

Owen will be reffing that one.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Cick here to save the fixtures to your calendar :-

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/tool...res-6n-all.ics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Exactly so! The ref made it crystal clear that he considered it absolute cobblers but his hands were tied as he had to defer to the French head sawbones. Shamefully dishonest behaviour by the French!