closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really can't decide! DJ41 or GMT II LN?

Journeyman

Really can't decide! DJ41 or GMT II LN?

I currently have a Tag Monaco and Omega Speedy, but im looking for something new so will be moving the Speedy on.

I thought it was time to get something a bit more subtle and understated, yet stunning at the same time.. something to wear at work but also be able to wear when smart casual.

I was set on getting the Datejust 41, Black dial, Smooth bezel with Oyster Bracelet. It's a truly beautiful piece, and I think the combination allows it to be more sporty.

Then.. I was offered the GMT II LN! And now I'm completely torn. It's just as stunning in a completely different way. Am I just not ready for subtle? Can the GMT be worn to work without being too in your face?

Buying both isn't an option (although it was considered!) Lookong for thoughts/advice/pictures to sway me one way or another...

DJ41 looks a bit awkward imo, works much better in 36mm. Therefore my choice would be the GMT. If it was me I'd get the bracelet centre links redone brushed for a less blingy look.

I think I’d go for the DJ41, but on Jubilee. I’ve had the GMT and it’s a great watch, but I prefer my 42mm EXPII for the times I’d wear one.

I have both the DJ36 and DJII, and the 41 is IMO the perfect update of the 36mm (I should have waited and got the 41 instead of the 36), whereas the DJII is just a different watch in comparison and for me it’s more sporty.

I think a DJ could be the perfect day to day watch, but if you would make use of a second time zone on a regular basis then perhaps it could make sense.

If future value is s concern, I think you could safely say the GMT will be worth more and that seems to influence a lot of people’s purchases these days.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Datejust in 36mm. Nothing subtle or understated about the 41mm in my opinion, just a bloated version of a classic shouting look at me, notice me. But then I have small wrists, so it may look different on yours..

Craftsman
    The GMT without doubt in my opinion.

The green on black works so well. Perhaps more so than the BLNR. Again my opinion.

Craftsman
    A 36mm datejust is a lovely piece. Very subtle.

Craftsman
    For me there is no contest, think the datejust works very well at 36mm but not at 41mm. The GMT will hold its value much better than the DJ41.

Journeyman
    Managed to get a pic with both on..

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    For me there is no contest, think the datejust works very well at 36mm but not at 41mm. The GMT will hold its value much better than the DJ41.
    Better/newer movement in the DJ41, slimmer case and more comfortable with a selection of dial colours. There is room for both.

I can’t believe someone described the new DJ41 as bloated, regardless of how small your wrist is.

Master
    Genuinely depends what you are going to use the watch for. If you travel a lot the GMT is very useful. If you are planning to wear it with a suit everyday then the DJ41 looks very nice.

If resale is a consideration then the GMT may prove a better bet and be easier to move on.

The good news is I don’t think you can make a bad choice here.

^ Agreed.

All I will say is that since I picked up my DJII, I have worn it more than any of my sports Rolex and I have a watch box full of them to choose from. It really does just feel right for me.

Master

If you want the more elegant watch, no contest. To me, best value in the Rolex range. Jubilee bracelet a must.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    For me, judging by your picture, the Datejust is far more elegant

What are the differences between the Dj41 and Dj2 if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    DJ41 has new movement and better shaped case.

DJ2 was a Rolex mistake which was relatively quickly rectified with the DJ41.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 10th December 2017 at 11:34.

I wouldn't say the DJII was a mistake, as it's one of my favorite watches. It's rated as 41mm too, which can be confusing, but it wears much bigger than the DJ41.

The DJ41 is more elegant, and much more a well proportioned upside of the 36mm. Imho this is a good move by Rolex, as the 36 is just a little too small for a larger wrist these days.

The DJ II is indeed significantly larger than the DJ "41", which actually measures 39.5 mm or so with a caliper.

Master
    I think there's no substitute for trying these on your wrist. They are very different.

Blog Entries
    Tried on a DJ11 last week and it definitely looks chunkier than my DJ41. The lugs seem much bigger when compared side by side.

Love my DJ41 gets a lot of wrist time. Jubilee bracelet the best on these imho.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 10th December 2017 at 12:25.

GMT II LN all day long. Only DJ I'd be going is 36mm and I much prefer the fluted bezel (116234). The other sizes are too bloated and awkward imo. The DJII is comedy big. Someone mentioned brushing the GMT polished centre links. I wouldn't do that, I'd just go for a Submariner Date instead if the PCLs are a problem to you but it doesn't sound like they are.

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    DJ41 looks a bit awkward imo, works much better in 36mm. Therefore my choice would be the GMT.
    This. The Size of the DJ41 clashes with its styling and intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I wouldn't say the DJII was a mistake, as it's one of my favorite watches. It's rated as 41mm too, which can be confusing, but it wears much bigger than the DJ41.

The DJ41 is more elegant, and much more a well proportioned upside of the 36mm. Imho this is a good move by Rolex, as the 36 is just a little too small for a larger wrist these days.
    Judging by the pics, the DJ2 looks like a maxi case in the same way that the ceramic subs are, would that be right??

Judging by the pics, the DJ2 looks like a maxi case in the same way that the ceramic subs are, would that be right??
    Kind of, but it doesn’t suffer from the same fat lugs, it and the 42mm EXPII have kept the slimmer lug proportions, but just overall bigger than the 36.

Just increasing the size isn’t always the best recipe, and as a Date Just, I’d give it to the DJ41, but as an overall watch for me with a larger wrist I actually prefer the DJII. That said, no Jubilee option on the DJII. I’ll have a DJ41 with its no longer a hot model and can be picked up for less.

I think Rolex thought that Cellini would pick up the dressier watch bracket, but maybe that didn’t work out as well as planned.

For me the DJII has the size I want, but I still see it as a bit of a sports model in both size and build. Especially if you think of the tradional steel sports watch models from AP and Patek etc.

Of the current DJ models you only have the choice of 36 and 41, and I’d now go 41. In fact I have a 36 in blue dial and Roman’s unworn since I bought it at the start of the year. I always missed having a DJ in the collection. Then I bought the DJII and didn’t even take the 36 out of the box to look at it for a few weeks. Maybe I should have waited for the 41, but I do like the larger hour markers.

If I was buying money no object, I’d have a platinum DDII

Craftsman
    Tried a datejust 41 last week, didn’t do anything for me, much prefer the professional models. Go GMT

Master
    I can't really grasp this complaints about the size of the new 41mm. It's one of Rolexes most attractive watches to my eyes. Slim and elegant. Put it with the Jubilee bracelet and you have an absolute classic. And it avoids all that bloated 'maxi-dial' stuff.

Master
    Here is a shot on my partners slim wrist...she usually wears 34mm.

Master
    I went for the 114300 Oyster Perpetual, just the right size for me at 39mm and l didn't want or need a date function, (or the Cyclops that comes with it).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Here is a shot on my partners slim wrist...she usually wears 34mm.

Hmmm let me think. Which Rolex? I know have you considered an MX5, no wait, a V...

Quote Originally Posted by Vamatic View Post
    If you are looking for something classy but casual at the same time, then definitely check out Vamatic watches where you get one watch with two straps!
    All informations are in link down below ;)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects..._campaign=ezrt
    Thats a bit spammy

Putting this on a Rolex DJ versus GMT thread.

If you are looking for something classy but casual at the same time, then definitely check out Vamatic watches where you get one watch with two straps!

Those are seriously naff.

Craftsman

Erm, didn’t the OP give a choice of 2 ???

Journeyman
    Decided against both Rolexes. Going with the Vamatic instead.. I mean who could turn down a whole extra strap!

I never saw that coming
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

DJ41

That’s up there with one of the weirdest additions to a thread?? Not sure that a Vamatic??? will compare to the Rolex???

Anyways, back to the thread! I personally for understated would go for the DJ41 definately, the 36mm DJ for me personally looks tiny and lost!
    If it was just a choice between the two watches rather than a specific want for an understated watch then the GMT would win!!!

Anyway, I’m sure you will enjoy either for a while, until you get the need for a change and the cycle starts all over again!!

Chris

Craftsman

Bit of a random one!

Craftsman
    No. And Never.

Blog Entries

Well let me see, do I flip my DJ41 grow a beard and wear Edwardian clothes and pledge to get a 'hipster' kickstarter watch of dubious quality..................or not? Hmmmm..........

(apologies to my more hirsute friends)

Banned
    Vamatic sounds like something from an infomercial. Nasty.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the comments so far. I think I'm leaning towards the DJ41. It's the one I've wanted for a while now, and the GMT is just giving me cold feet (or just being a placeholder for the BLNR that I also want! I think my mind is playing tricks on me with "well you want a BLNR but this is the next best option"). DJ41 first, BLNR later. The Monaco will be easily able to satisfy my casual needs!

I think if you are going to get a BLNR any way, then the DJ41 is a sensible options.

Its difficult for some people to split their rationale/choice of a watch from the thoughts of which one will lose less money, or gain more money than an other.

If if it was an only watch, then I’d be sorely tempted to stick with a sports Rolex. That was my default choice for many years. Even now, I only have the 2 Datejusts but many other sports models - so I still favour the Professional range. But I really do feel the DJ is an excellent model, and a much cheaper proposition than a Patek 5711, or AP 15202 etc. with just as much wrist presence - probably more so. The only thing it doesn’t do quite as well is fly completely under the radar of the average person quite like some of the more exoensive brands.

I think you’d love it, and it will make a change from putting on a diver or a chunky GMT.

Banned
    gmt 2 all day , a Rolex steel sports model is so much more versatile , holds its money and is simply a better watch in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    gmt 2 all day , a Rolex steel sports model is so much more versatile , holds its money and is simply a better watch in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    In what what way a better watch? Certainly not in it's movement...which is obviously a bit inferior, if only in power reserve. More versatile? Only if you actually use a,GMT function, which in truth, clutters and confuses the dial. The Datejust is just as tough, just as water-resistant and far less 'showy.'
    I've owned every Rolex sports model ; I think, overall, the Datejust is the best seller for very good reasons. Not for everyone, but a real classic in the range . Always has been.
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th December 2017 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by murtz View Post
    Thanks for all the comments so far. I think I'm leaning towards the DJ41. It's the one I've wanted for a while now, and the GMT is just giving me cold feet (or just being a placeholder for the BLNR that I also want! I think my mind is playing tricks on me with "well you want a BLNR but this is the next best option"). DJ41 first, BLNR later. The Monaco will be easily able to satisfy my casual needs!
    If you're keen on the BLNR, then don't settle for the standard version — you'll never be satisfied with it. Personally, I think the current Datejust is the more coherently-designed watch than ceramic GMT with its incongruous polished links and chunky bezel numbers, though both watches are pretty great. And the DJ is a casual watch, too; it just looks somewhat less out of place with a suit than something with a rotating bezel.

On the other hand, the Datejust does tend have a bit of a boring-old-man association — but that's entirely up to the wearer, not the watch.. ;)

Craftsman
    of those two the GMT, DJ41 is just trying far too hard. But as a few have said here i'd take a 36mm DJ over both.
    doesnt matter what any of us say, you are the one who has to live with it!

Having owned both I would say 100% the blnr but if you must get a dj41 please do get the WG fluted bezel model as the plain bezel model is well a bit meh.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Get the DJ41, personal choice would be rhodium dial, fluted bezel with jubilee. You will then find your dealer will have a BLNR for you pretty quickly.

Win,win!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Get the DJ41, personal choice would be rhodium dial, fluted bezel with jubilee. You will then find your dealer will have a BLNR for you pretty quickly.

Win,win!
    DJ41 fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, rhodium dial is a killer combi 👍

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    On the other hand, the Datejust does tend have a bit of a boring-old-man association — but that's entirely up to the wearer, not the watch.. ;)
    Really? I've only seen that comment made for the TT combos (although I don't agree) never for the combination I'm looking to get.