closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disputes with Goldsmiths over an automatic watch - advice appreciated!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Following this thread I found myself reading these horror stories : https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.goldsmiths.co.uk

Crikey. A reasonable observer might wonder if this was a business many of whose staff have little product knowledge and less idea of customer service, where constant discounting and sales perhaps betray only how high their normal mark-up is.

I know why so many insurers steer their clients to replace their lost jewellery at Goldsmiths. They think themselves clever to have negotiated bulk discounts, failing completely to question the prices from which those discounts are taken and thus often delivering very poor absolute value to their clients.

Why, though, do Rolex, Omega and others choose Goldsmiths as their prime distribution channel?

I recall marching up to my local Goldsmiths with a client, to whom a production-line air-head had just explained how little we knew about Rolex and that there was a good chance of buying a fake because we were “not allowed” to take the backs off them to check the movements. Making a middle-aged lady see her backside in front of her manager was short of galant, but fully deserved.

Is any good reputation Goldsmiths enjoy a triumph of marketing alone? There are much better independent jewellers in every city.

H
    Those reviews are horrendous,you would think management would take heed and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Is any good reputation Goldsmiths enjoy a triumph of marketing alone? There are much better independent jewellers in every city.

H
    I agree with you expect for one very narrow scenario - do they take three times face value for club card vouchers - if like me, you have a year of significant purchase via a Tesco credit you are looking at a decent watch for nothing or next to nothing...

So Goldsmiths are handy on the odd ocassion...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Occasioanlly Goldsmiths have some online bargains, which is about the only way I'd buy from them - at least then under law you can return within 14days simply because you want to rather than have to claim there's something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Occasioanlly Goldsmiths have some online bargains, which is about the only way I'd buy from them - at least then under law you can return within 14days simply because you want to rather than have to claim there's something wrong.
    you actually have 28 days, you have to indicate the return within the first 14 days and then have another 14 to make the return...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Great idea. Also writing a formal letter of complaint to Goldsmiths HQ resolved a similar dispute I had.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Their customer relations have replied to me, "on behalf of Goldsmiths". Would it make any difference if I wrote a formal letter of complaint to their HQ?

I spent almost half day keeping explaining to them that the test did not make sense last Thursday, hoping that they could realise that things were not quite right and sort it out as soon as possible but they just did not seem to care what I said or how I felt. And then the next day, their customer relations, "on behalf of Goldsmiths", told me either to send the watch to Omege or to collect the watch, or to contact Retailer ADR.

I still hope that Goldsmiths can sort this out amicably. But if they don't, I don't mind spending more time working with Retailer ADR or taking them to court. They have to be responsible for what they did and how they treated people.
    Last edited by xlii; 10th December 2017 at 12:01.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Those reviews are horrendous,you would think management would take heed and improve.
    Agreed. It is a failure of the corporate culture and the management on the top of the company, not the individual staff members in the branches.
    Last edited by xlii; 10th December 2017 at 11:49.

Master
    You do have a slight dilemma....you have a right to reject a faulty watch, the retailer has the right to check that it is faulty. In this case they're too dumb to check adequately. Which means the watch has to go to Omega to prove it does have a fault. Sadly, there's no way round this when a shop is so blind to their customers.
    Infuriating. But I could tell you far worse tales .....anyway, good luck. They ruined your enjoyment.

It beggars belief that they didn't offer a replacement or a refund as per their promise.

Master
    Solicitors present : would I be right that the OP is well advised to put it in writing that he does NOT want nor will he accept a repair to the watch?

I have known companies to insist on testing an item (which is reasonable, as the allegation of faulty goods does not prove they are so) but then actually expedite its repair, pushing same on the customer as the solution.

In the early 1990s I had a similar problem with a new Rolex 16220 bought from Goldsmiths and only after involving the regional manager Adrian Mellish, Rolex UK’s head tech DWJ Bleuer and the Citizens’ Advice Bureau did they accept that I should be refunded.

Refunding a new watch that has been worn is very much something they will still wish to avoid....

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 10th December 2017 at 13:23.

Master
    The watch is currently at the Goldsmiths branch that you originally bought it from, yes?

You’re wasting your time sending emails back and forth in my opinion.

Far better to turn up in person in the store and be prepared to forcibly argue your position, but done politely. Do not lose your temper, do not shout and swear. Demand to speak to the Manager not the Sales Assistants.

Be clear and concise about describing the fault. Do not let them interrupt and push you down a different route. Insist that the Manager takes notes.

State the facts as they are, which appears to be the Power Reserve of this Automatic Watch is outside of Omega’s stated parameters. That you have wound the watch an appropriate amount of times before wearing it and it failed to keep running after one night off of your wrist. Ask the Manager, who will probably be wearing a nice watch, if he / she would accept a £3k watch that will not run for 10 hours without winding it up. There is only one answer.....

Be clear that when Goldsmiths performed their tests they were measuring accuracy and not power reserve. Due to their faffing around you have lost all faith in them being able to correctly diagnose the fault. That you’re experienced in wearing automatic watches previously, you’ve got your Longines as proof, and can correctly wind one up sufficiently.

Finally tell the Manager what he / she has to do to put the situation right. That is up to you: Full refund, a New replacement watch or a repair of the faulty watch. These options are in line with the Consumer Rights Act October 2015. Personally I’d be asking for my money back.

Be prepared for an amount of pushback, stick to your guns be forceful but polite. Make sure that you tell the Manager that you’re quite prepared to take them to Court if they do not do as you ask.

Lastly, if you paid by credit card you can speak with them as the watch is not fit for purpose.

I do wonder how they are testing it ? I had a watch that kept stopping & restarting - 2 watchmakers passed it as good but credit to the seller he sent it to a third who found the fault.

If you like the watch (which I assume you do) I would ask for it to be sent to Omega for a once over.

Master
    As per HM and Nige posts go in talk to the manager, but I would formally reject the watch in writing refuse a repair or replacement and request a refund and ask the manager to sign your copy as proof of receipt.

Master
    It sounds to me like the fault may have been lost in translation and then when you're asking questions to the wrong person they're giving answers they don't really know or not related to the results.

Could it be that your initial report was given to person A, they've spoken to person B and said it keeps stoppping. They've wound it expecting it to stop and found it doesn't stop (even after 5 days). Then reported back to person A to say it's perfect. Person A tells you it's tested perfect and any correspondence falls on deaf ears as their 'expert' has deemed it perfect and you must be a fuss pot. Some of the 'person A' employees aren't the brightest spark's I've had a couple of small interactions with their staff on expensive watch questions and they don't exactly fill you with confidence to say the least!

I find a lot in retail once people have done things 'by the book' they've done their job and they don't actually care for being proactive or helpful.

If it were me I'd just send it to Omega and explain straight that the auto winding is suspect.

If you let the watch stop then picked it up and wore it all day (no manual winding) how long would it run for? Even my old vintage watches will run a lot longer than just over night.

Only other thing I could think that 'may' make it within spec as a lot of smaller auto watches seem to be harder to auto wind due to tiny rotors. That may not be the case but it seems to me from auto's my mrs has they don't seem to gain the same power Reserve as a bigger watch with a large rotor.

Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Goldsmiths - a shower of bas********s.

This is how an old TAG I used to have came BACK from a service at Goldsmiths. Never been into one of their stores since.

Ok I'm useless at spot the difference pics but it's even harder when there's no before pic. Help an old man out?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Ok I'm useless at spot the difference pics but it's even harder when there's no before pic. Help an old man out?
    The crown is well off centre, in fact it was jammed down so tight to the case and the left lug in the shot, that it was completely inoperable. I couldn't budge it, so back it went. To be fair to them the replaced the crown without delay, argument or cost but it should never have left their workshop in that fashion.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    As per HM and Nige posts go in talk to the manager, but I would formally reject the watch in writing refuse a repair or replacement and request a refund and ask the manager to sign your copy as proof of receipt.
    I think the case is now with the customer relations of Goldsmiths HQ as they wrote to me last Friday, "on behalf of Goldsmiths", "two options: sending it to Omega or collecting it", "no refund as you have worn it", "contact Retalier ADR" - these were what they said.

Master
    Consumer law does not give Goldsmiths the right to refuse a refund 'because you have worn it.' The refund is because they provided faulty goods. Full stop. It's the law. These companies have a habit of pretending consumer law doesn't exist; but it does, and it applies to them.
    It's the Consumer Rights Act and gives you a statutory right to a full refund if new goods prove faulty . Shame on Goldsmiths for trying to mislead you about your rights under the law.
    Google the Consumer Rights Act. Stick it to them.
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th December 2017 at 15:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Consumer law does not give Goldsmiths the right to refuse a refund 'because you have worn it.' The refund is because they provided faulty goods. Full stop. It's the law. Just google consumer rights and you'l see. These companies have a habit of pretending consumer law doesn't exist; but it does, and it applies to them.
    Exactly.

You only need prove the fault exists and that it existed when you purchased it. I believe that you demonstrated this in your first post. Stick to your guns and do it face to face in the store.

Emails will just exasperate you even more

Banned
    Contact Trading Standards. They helped me get a refund when Steinhart refused to give me a refund.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    It sounds to me like the fault may have been lost in translation and then when you're asking questions to the wrong person they're giving answers they don't really know or not related to the results.

Could it be that your initial report was given to person A, they've spoken to person B and said it keeps stoppping. They've wound it expecting it to stop and found it doesn't stop (even after 5 days). Then reported back to person A to say it's perfect. Person A tells you it's tested perfect and any correspondence falls on deaf ears as their 'expert' has deemed it perfect and you must be a fuss pot. Some of the 'person A' employees aren't the brightest spark's I've had a couple of small interactions with their staff on expensive watch questions and they don't exactly fill you with confidence to say the least!

I find a lot in retail once people have done things 'by the book' they've done their job and they don't actually care for being proactive or helpful.

If it were me I'd just send it to Omega and explain straight that the auto winding is suspect.

If you let the watch stop then picked it up and wore it all day (no manual winding) how long would it run for? Even my old vintage watches will run a lot longer than just over night.

Only other thing I could think that 'may' make it within spec as a lot of smaller auto watches seem to be harder to auto wind due to tiny rotors. That may not be the case but it seems to me from auto's my mrs has they don't seem to gain the same power Reserve as a bigger watch with a large rotor.
    Your "lost in translation" hypothesis seems to be possible, though it does take quite a bit effort to translate "stoppage overnight, self-winding or power reserve" into "accuracy"... particularly given that I even provided a written record.

You might also be right that they insisted that they had done a test and found no fault when they received my emails questioning their test because their "experts" said it was perfect.

But I am still confused why their customer relations, on behalf of Goldsmiths, continued to insist on that they have done the test and found no fault. Didn't their customer relations in HQ do any investigation or consult their "experts" before writing to me? If they investigated and found that they got things wrong, shouldn't they have admitted it and tried to rectify the situation? I would expect an apology as well... No, they just wrote to inform me that I have two options, no refund unless found faulty by the manufacturer because you have worn, or contact Retailer ADR. They really don't care what inconvenience caused to customers by their conduct or how people think about them, do they? The culture and value of this company is beyond my understanding.

Sending it to Omega would be no problem but I would like an explanation from Goldsmiths before agreeing to do this, though I would still prefer a refund given that the watch is in pristine condition, this is in accordance with their refunding policy written on their website and on the receipt.
    Last edited by xlii; 11th December 2017 at 10:51.

Master
    I suspect their refund policy on the website relates to online purchases, where you can change your mind for any reason within 14 days no questions asked. Can’t comment on the receipt as I haven’t purchased anything from Goldsmiths for a long time.

If you want a refund, stick to that course of action doggedly. As Haywood stated earlier, they’ll really not want to do it as they’ve a used watch on their hands to sell on. Better for them that you accept a repair

I had a similar experience with a Seamaster back in the 90s. And to be fair to them, after manually winding the watch for a day or two, it was fine and has been ever since. Same with a Speedmaster Solar Impulse. Maybe it's an Omega thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Exactly.

You only need prove the fault exists and that it existed when you purchased it. I believe that you demonstrated this in your first post. Stick to your guns and do it face to face in the store.

Emails will just exasperate you even more
    Actually, I believe that in the first 6 months, the retailer has to prove that the item was faulty when purchased. It is only after 6 months that you, the buyer, has to prove the fault existed.

In this case, I would formally reject the item and ask for a replacement or refund. I would not accept a repair no matter what.

If they refused the above take them to court, add on costs and time...you will win as the law is on your side here.

Craftsman
    Always buy on Credit card, even if you pay of straight way. The cover and clout this gives you (if you know your stuff) is unreal.
    I never make a large purchase any other way be it a watch or an holiday.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Actually, I believe that in the first 6 months, the retailer has to prove that the item was faulty when purchased. It is only after 6 months that you, the buyer, has to prove the fault existed.

In this case, I would formally reject the item and ask for a replacement or refund. I would not accept a repair no matter what.

If they refused the above take them to court, add on costs and time...you will win as the law is on your side here.
    I am prepared to take them to court.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I suspect their refund policy on the website relates to online purchases, where you can change your mind for any reason within 14 days no questions asked. Can’t comment on the receipt as I haven’t purchased anything from Goldsmiths for a long time.

If you want a refund, stick to that course of action doggedly. As Haywood stated earlier, they’ll really not want to do it as they’ve a used watch on their hands to sell on. Better for them that you accept a repair
    the refund policy printed on the receipt: happy to exchange items within 30 days or refund items within 14 days of purchase, providing the goods are in pristine condition, in the original packaging with no alteration made and are accompanied by the till receipt or proof of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by xlii View Post
    the refund policy printed on the receipt: happy to exchange items within 30 days or refund items within 14 days of purchase, providing the goods are in pristine condition, in the original packaging with no alteration made and are accompanied by the till receipt or proof of purchase.
    If your watch is in pristine condition, perhaps you should demand a refund, pointing out their policy.

Craftsman
    sounds like you've been hard done by. It is clearly faulty so a full refund is well within your consumer rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I agree with you expect for one very narrow scenario - do they take three times face value for club card vouchers - if like me, you have a year of significant purchase via a Tesco credit you are looking at a decent watch for nothing or next to nothing...

So Goldsmiths are handy on the odd ocassion...
    Wouldn't normally point these out, but when you pull somebody else up on their failure to include a possessive apostrophe... :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xlii View Post
    I'm having a bit of a hard time piling on the (probably crappy) store on this one. For one thing, your watch isn't "pristine":
    pris·tine
    ˈprisˌtēn,priˈstēn/Submit
    adjective
    in its original condition; unspoiled.

Your watch is in good used condition.

You only have three reasonable options in my view:
    (1) dispute the charge and let your credit card deal with it
    (2) get them to send it to Omega so that Omega can verify that it's broken (something your dealer seems too stupid to do)
    (3) retain a lawyer and have them deal with it

Pick one and move on with it. You will be a happier person getting this over with.

Master
    Don't get sidetracked. This is not about Goldsmiths 'conditions'.....it's about your legal rights under UK consumer law. And the Consumer Rights Act makes it clear that you have an absolute right to your money back if supplied faulty goods. Your wearing of the watch makes no difference.
    Concentrate on that...because that is all you need. What Goldsmiths prints on receipts is subsumed by your legal rights. Just tell them you want your money back, as guaranteed by consumer law, put it in writing. Don't allow yourself to be sidetracked, which is what Goldsmiths is relying on.
    You won't need the Smalls Claims Court. The judge would soon sort Goldsmiths out. They haven't a leg to stand on. They are entirely in the wrong .

Grand Master
    Simple answer to this:
    1. Test the watch properly. The store should be able to do this within a couple of days.

2. If faulty, return to Omega SC and they sort out the auto-winding, which doesn`t involve extensive stripping down. Probably take then les than 30 minutes to fix.

3. Ask the store to swap the watch on the basis that the fault is highly likely to have been present at point of sale, but if they can`t do that quickly you're cutting your nose off to spite your face by insisting and it may be quicker to simply get it fixed provided it gets priority.

It's very frustrating to buy something with a fault, but there are easy ways forward to resolve this. The store haven`t covered themselves in glory so far, that's beyond dispute, but starting World War Three with them won`t help.

The auto winding can be checked as follows: Allow the watch to run down, then wear it for a full reasonably active day. Prior to wear give it 5 twists of the crown to get it running then wear it. After 12 hrs or more wear, take it off and record how long it runs for without stopping. Compare this to the quoted power reserve. If it's any less than24 hrs I`d say there's a problem, but provided you're active the watch should be virtually fully wound and I`d expect it to be close to the quoted figure. Be honest with yourself, if you're sat at a desk all day it won`t wind, but most people who are reasonably active will be able to 'charge' the watch over a normal day. Asking for advice on how to check the watch would possibly have been a better way to use your time than typing a lengthy invective about Goldsmiths. I`m not defending them, I`m just being pragmatic, sometimes it's best to be armed with good information before presenting the seller with problem. I`m more interested in the watch and the problem than the niceties of how the store have reacted.......but that's me.

Your objective is to have the watch fully working, not to get embroiled in a battle with Goldsmiths. It may be necessary to take this up with them in a robust fashion but I suggest you carry out my test first. I`m not 100% convinced the watch is actually faulty; if you follow my advice you'll at least have some more evidence to support your argument if it does turn out to have a problem.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th December 2017 at 18:50.

But Paul, if the OP did test the way you describe, Goldsmiths wouldn’t care, it’s their test that counts, and they haven’t got it through their heads that it’s not a accuracy test that’s being asked for.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    But Paul, if the OP did test the way you describe, Goldsmiths wouldn’t care, it’s their test that counts, and they haven’t got it through their heads that it’s not a accuracy test that’s being asked for.
    We don’t know that. For all we know they have tested the watch properly, and tested the accuracy, and found no issue.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    We don’t know that. For all we know they have tested the watch properly, and tested the accuracy, and found no issue.
    From the OP’s first post....

Five days later, I received an email from them saying that they have done a five-day test by manually winding the watch 20 times morning and evening and found that the watch was accurate and so not faulty.
    If this is what they actually did, there is no way of saying the power reserve is inside or outside of Omega’s specification.

I would still carry out further testing on the watch before reaching the conclusion that many members already have.

But hey, it’s not my watch.

I wish the OP good luck in reaching a conclusion that they are happy with.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Just to be clear as others have said - in 30days you can reject after that you can give one repair attempt then get refund etc:

Quote:

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

If you discover the fault within the first six months after buying the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.
    During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was.
    If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.
    The retailer can't make any deductions from your refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th December 2017 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Wouldn't normally point these out, but when you pull somebody else up on their failure to include a possessive apostrophe... :-)
    Fair point.

OP I hope you manage to reach a conclusion that you are happy with. I had a struggle with Ernest Jones a few years ago and I think it is the only dispute I did not resolve in terms of my expectations. Dealing with EJ Customer Services is like talking to a brick wall. I think one mistake I made was pursuing the matter via email as opposed to revisiting the store regarding a refund.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Two issues her: one's about getting the correct information (I`ve advised how to do that), the second is about communication. Clearly, something's gone wrong when the OP left the watch with the Goldsmiths staff, they haven`t grasped what his understanding of the problem was. I suspect, as already suggested, this is down to miscommunication between Goldsmith's staff members. It's piss-poor, I accept that, and sadly it has to be questioned whether the Goldsmiths branch in question have anyone on site who's got sufficient technical understanding to carry out a meaningful test themselves. Putting the watch on a watchwinder for 24 hrs then checking how long it ran would be a step forward....it ain't rocket science.

If this watch was on my bench, and I didn`t want to take the back off initially, here's what I`d do: Let the watch run down, give it a couple of turns of the crown till it's just running, then put it on a timegrapher and record the amplitude (which will be around 130°). I`d then put it on a watchwinder or a cyclotest machine, either of which will create movement and activate the auto-winding, and check it after 1 hr on the timegrapher. I`d expect the amplitude to rise significantly to around 220°, and if it hadn`t I`d suspect a fault. If the amplitude had risen I`d continue the test until the amplitude reached ca 280°. If it struggled to do so I wouldn't be happy. A watchwinder would need to be on it's highest setting, that's why a cyclotest is better, but the principle's the same; it's all about simulating auto-winding and looking for evidence that the watch is in fact winding itself as illustrated by rising amplitude. If the rotor's only winding in one direction the results won't be clear-cut and further investigation will be required, but there are two out of three scenarios that can be easily diagnosed and to me that helps a lot.

This is a simple test, and the equipment's cheap if the Chinese machines (like the ones I use) are bought.

If there's any doubt the back needs to come off and the action of the rotor and auto-winding mechanism needs to be observed closely, but in a glass-backed watch it can clearly be seen if you know what to look for.

I`m not expecting the staff to be experts but the manager at least should have a basic understanding of how a watch works or sometimes doesn`t. A cheap cyclotest machine and timegrapher can be bought for less than £500 total, I see no reason why branches don't have them. It would watches to be easily checked and cases where the owner's not winding the watch adequately or active enough to be identified.

OP will do what he likes, he can either take my advice and test the watch himself as I suggested or go straight back into discussion with Goldsmiths.....sometimes it pays to know the answer before asking the question and if he's got evidence from a test that the auto-winding's faulty he's likely to have a more productive discussion.

Finally, talk to the Manager and not the staff.

Good luck, I hope it gets sorted out, but taking the advice of the barrack- room lawyers is a little premature in my view.

Paul

Master
    Being the kind of stubborn chap I am, I would buy a cheap watch winder from amazon and then perform the test that Paul suggested but use the winder rather than wear it, I’d also film it on my phone using time lapse. Not forgetting to plug the phone into charge.
    Obviously that will capture how long the watch was on the winder for and then how long it subsequently runs for.

This should either confirm that there is an issue and give evidence of it, or that there isn’t a issue.

Amazon has winders from £40 at the moment. Though if I wanted to keep using the winder I’d likely spend more, I like the Beco Boxy range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st...price-asc-rank

https://www.imore.com/how-to-record-video-iphone-ipad
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 11th December 2017 at 21:55.

The watch is either faulty or isn’t, and the posters are right to suggest the OP tests this correctly.
    However if it is there is no reason why the buyer, having spent a(n in)decent amount of money should ask for a refund, nothing less. I genuinely don’t understand why anyone is suggesting he does without his watch for an undetermined amount of time to allow both stores and manufacturer to get their act together.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Being the kind of stubborn chap I am, I would buy a cheap watch winder from amazon and then perform the test that Paul suggested but use the winder rather than wear it, I’d also film it on my phone using time lapse. Not forgetting to plug the phone into charge.
    Obviously that will capture how long the watch was on the winder for and then how long it subsequently runs for.

This should either confirm that there is an issue and give evidence of it, or that there isn’t a issue.

Amazon has winders from £40 at the moment. Though if I wanted to keep using the winder I’d likely spend more, I like the Beco Boxy range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st...price-asc-rank

https://www.imore.com/how-to-record-video-iphone-ipad
    Frankly, you're better doing what I suggested, then going for a brisk walk with the watch on and wearing it around the house to do some tidying up and washing the dishes etc! So long as you're not sat on your arse with the the watch stationary you're likely to be putting far more wind in than the watch is taking out. Modern Omegas are very efficient auto-winders .

If there is a fault it's likely to be the reverser sticking and it requires minimal strip-down to replace it. If the seller had a repairer on site he could do it whilst the owner drank his coffee!.....sadly those days are gone.

Until it has ben established that the watch does have a fault the way forward isn't clear, but Goldsmiths should accept that the onus is on them to investigate the reported problem thoroughly and that's what they've failed to do. No point anyone banging on about customer rights yada yada yada until this fact has been established.

Maybe I see things differently, I prefer facts to conjecture.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Let Goldsmiths send the watch to Omega as they seem incapable of performing the correct test - as the onus is on them. Could be away for a few weeks - esp over Christmas. Take care as the 30d is almost up!
    Or:
    seems like the OP has already proved a fault as it runs down overnight even if worn for 10h a day with active movement.

Could be small claims to get a refund sooner.

After 30d - let it be repaired once - if still faulty then you can get a refund.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th December 2017 at 23:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Frankly, you're better doing what I suggested, then going for a brisk walk with the watch on and wearing it around the house to do some tidying up and washing the dishes etc! So long as you're not sat on your arse with the the watch stationary you're likely to be putting far more wind in than the watch is taking out. Modern Omegas are very efficient auto-winders .

If there is a fault it's likely to be the reverser sticking and it requires minimal strip-down to replace it. If the seller had a repairer on site he could do it whilst the owner drank his coffee!.....sadly those days are gone.

Until it has ben established that the watch does have a fault the way forward isn't clear, but Goldsmiths should accept that the onus is on them to investigate the reported problem thoroughly and that's what they've failed to do. No point anyone banging on about customer rights yada yada yada until this fact has been established.

Maybe I see things differently, I prefer facts to conjecture.

Paul
    Paul, I don’t get your reply, if the dealer is not accepting that there is an issue why would you not want some evidence to prove the issue, it sounds like telling them about the test is not working, so better to show them evidence imho.
    Otherwise the op has to get them to send it off to Omega and I expect the dealer is likely to get them to repair it irrespective of the op’s wishes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it goes back to Omega it will be repaired or declared no fault. Either way no refund will be forthcoming.

Blog Entries
    If the OP doesn’t act soon it will past 30d in which case Goldsmith have a right to repair anyway - so all this could be moot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If the OP doesn’t act soon it will past 30d in which case Goldsmith have a right to repair anyway - so all this could be moot.
    I would hope that as it’s been raised and documented that the op would be okay, but Goldsmiths might not see it that way.

Blog Entries
    I would hope that as it’s been raised and documented that the op would be okay, but Goldsmiths might not see it that way.
    Fair point.

Maybe as Goldsmith themselves suggested- time to go the ADR route - has the official complains route been take with GS?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/alternative-dispute-resolution/settling-out-of-court/who-offers-alternative-dispute-resolution-adr/

or write to one one of the directors:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...17655/officers
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th December 2017 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The other route is this - next Saturday is the busiest Saturday of the year.

Stand outside the store in a smart suit and tie and a neat sign that says 'last week I spent thousands on a watch that doesn't not work properly and Goldsmiths refuse to replace it - ask me more'.

Don't approach anyone and don't enter the store - if you are there past 10.30am I'll be amazed.

All this 'contact the manufacturer' stuff is for the birds to me - its just a way to reduce their hassle.