Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
Following this thread I found myself reading these horror stories : https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.goldsmiths.co.uk

Crikey. A reasonable observer might wonder if this was a business many of whose staff have little product knowledge and less idea of customer service, where constant discounting and sales perhaps betray only how high their normal mark-up is.

I know why so many insurers steer their clients to replace their lost jewellery at Goldsmiths. They think themselves clever to have negotiated bulk discounts, failing completely to question the prices from which those discounts are taken and thus often delivering very poor absolute value to their clients.

Why, though, do Rolex, Omega and others choose Goldsmiths as their prime distribution channel?

I recall marching up to my local Goldsmiths with a client, to whom a production-line air-head had just explained how little we knew about Rolex and that there was a good chance of buying a fake because we were “not allowed” to take the backs off them to check the movements. Making a middle-aged lady see her backside in front of her manager was short of galant, but fully deserved.

Is any good reputation Goldsmiths enjoy a triumph of marketing alone? There are much better independent jewellers in every city.

H
Those reviews are horrendous,you would think management would take heed and improve.