closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screw loctite/similar

Journeyman

Screw loctite/similar

Hi,

Had a bracelet threaded pin fall out of my Rolex 114060 yesterday, has gone back in with no issue so must have just worn loose.

Thinking it might be best to now take them out and re-fit them with some watch friendly kind of screw loctite etc, what does everybody use?

Cheers,

Glenn

Journeyman
    Personally I use the smallest amount of Loctite 243. If you need to remove the screw afterwards then warming it first helps.

No personal experience, but I've heard that clear nail varnish does the trick.

The Loctite 242 blue stuff is good. Immersing the bracelet in very hot water for a few minutes seems to soften it enough before unscrewing.

First, I presume you mean “worked loose”, but if you really do mean “worn” then you need to replace the screw in question.

I’ve had excellent results with 243 but would certainly not go stronger.

Make sure you have the correct screwdriver, this will avoid damage to the screw head and minimise the risk of slip damage to the bracelet and/or watch.

And do not use a non-thread locking product....

Journeyman
    Thanks for the responses, useful stuff. Watch is only about 12 months old so hoping it just worked loose, does not have a hard life so i will use some loctite and keep an eye on it.

You could try Loctite 222, AKA "Purple Loctite". It has a weaker bond than 243 - it will still lock the thread but at a reduced strength, that reduced opening force could save the slot in the pin from damage when opening it (compared to a more forceful effort with a more fastly stuck thread). I've used it myself for attaching a stem to a crown. http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/indus...ngth-13233.htm

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post
    You could try Loctite 222, AKA "Purple Loctite". It has a weaker bond than 243 - it will still lock the thread but at a reduced strength, that reduced opening force could save the slot in the pin from damage when opening it (compared to a more forceful effort with a more fastly stuck thread). I've used it myself for attaching a stem to a crown. http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/indus...ngth-13233.htm
    Cheers, 222 is what I have gone for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post
    Hi,

Had a bracelet threaded pin fall out of my Rolex 114060 yesterday, has gone back in with no issue so must have just worn loose.

Thinking it might be best to now take them out and re-fit them with some watch friendly kind of screw loctite etc, what does everybody use?

Cheers,

Glenn
    Apparently Rolex use Loctite 221. There is another thread (excuse the pun) about it here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=loctite

And here are the specs on 221:

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-408...edTab=document

LOCTITE 221

Low strength, low viscosity threadlocking adhesive. Formulated for small metal threads up to M12.

LOCTITE 221 is a methacrylate-based threadlocking adhesive designed for low strength applications on small threads up to a maximum size of M12. Typical fixture times are 25, 20 and 210 min on steel, brass and stainless steel respectively. Offering low viscosity and a breakaway torque of 8.5 Nm, the product is designed for fasteners that require easy disassembly with standard hand tools.

Your benefits

Low strength
    Low viscosity
    Designed for small threads
    Last edited by Tiny; 29th December 2017 at 15:59.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Apparently Rolex use Loctite 221. There is another thread (excuse the pun) about it here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=loctite

And here are the specs on 221:
    Useful stuff - thanks.