closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to post on BP

Master
    Is the thread that led to the closure still visible and if so what thread is it? I’m curious and I’d like to have a look at what got the BP shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is the thread that led to the closure still visible and if so what thread is it? I’m curious and I’d like to have a look at what got the BP shut down.
    Bear Pit is still viewable, you just can’t post. Honestly not worth the time seeking this thread out...it’s not even an interesting car crash.

Master
    If i was Edddie i would have closed it down a while back due to possible legal action for libel.

There were a few threads that this applied to and if certain people had the money and inclination could have taken it further.

It is happening on other forums.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...k-henry-street

Master
    Lord above, where do people find the time to engage in such stuff? Do they have nothing better to do in their lives?

Yes it's still visible, ''Jerusalem'' .
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Seriously it's not worth reading.

Good riddance. When the BP closes this feels like a watch forum.

Blog Entries
    Just noticed it has gone and i had given up on the pit it having become the private “playground” of several protagonists.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    No point wheeling out the smoke and mirrors whilst the thread is still there for all to read. You were the only one potentially facing legal action.
    People not being able to refrain from commenting and subsequently 'upping the ante' is what ultimately has resulted in the BP being closed.

It will result in bans and further restrictions if the conduct spreads elsewhere.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    The writing was on the BP wall after Captain Howdy rather unfairly got the boot.
    Morning Wood will be following Captain Howdy very soon.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Is he still posting, alone in his room? 🤧
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Is he still posting, alone in his room? 🤧
    🤠

A treasure chest of wisdom lost to mankind forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Just had a quick read through the whole sad and sorry Jerusalem thread. Total utter drivel.

It's pathetic. At least 3 people should be banned from this forum based on their behaviour in that thread, the forum would be a better place without them. A few others have certainly done themselves no credit by getting involved, clearly some of them just like a scrap from behind the safety of their keyboard.

What I'll never understand is the 'Jekel and Hyde' behaviour, folks can be fairly reasonable on the rest of the forum then act like complete arsholes on BP threads. Sorry, maybe I`m missing a trick, but you're either an unpleasant character or you're not. Can`t be one thing on one part of the forum and something else on the rest, not if you wish to retain credibility.

Hopefully the Bear Pit will remain closed, it's poisoned this forum for long enough. It's supposed to be a watch forum with the opportunity for other discussions in the G & D, it isn`t a vehicle for folks to air their views on contentious issues in the hope of starting a scrap.

Paul

some posters lived and there and never posted about watches it seems.

Forums like this are a meeting place for discussion and banter between likeminded people. Or at least people with a common interest. As much as it’s a watch forum I don’t want to discuss nothing but watches (and I have a watch collection that is by no means small). Having a subforum for more “robust” banter is a good thing IMHO and is enjoyed by a good many members including myself. I think it’s a shame that some people’s behaviour overstepped the mark to the point where the Guvnor shut it, but I hope the closure isn’t permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good riddance. When the BP closes this feels like a watch forum.
    This

D

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Forums like this are a meeting place for discussion and banter between likeminded people. Or at least people with a common interest. As much as it’s a watch forum I don’t want to discuss nothing but watches (and I have a watch collection that is by no means small). Having a subforum for more “robust” banter is a good thing IMHO and is enjoyed by a good many members including myself. I think it’s a shame that some people’s behaviour overstepped the mark to the point where the Guvnor shut it, but I hope the closure isn’t permanent.
    We have multiple sub-forums for non-watch related discussion and banter, though. The BP is just an enabler for unacceptable abuse and - in many cases - slander. As I said earlier, good riddance.

We have multiple sub-forums for non-watch related discussion and banter, though. The BP is just an enabler for unacceptable abuse and - in many cases - slander. As I said earlier, good riddance.
    I know what you’re saying Tony, but surely the problem was the behaviour of certain posters, not the venue. Otherwise it’s a bit like saying that pubs are enablers for alcoholism, or any number of other similar analogies. Providing venues for adults to be entertained in any form always carries the risk that a small minority of weak or flawed characters will behave like idiots, but I think it is a shame when their behaviour spoils things for the majority of reasonable people.

I know what you’re saying Tony, but surely the problem was the behaviour of certain posters, not the venue. Otherwise it’s a bit like saying that pubs are enablers for alcoholism, or any number of other similar analogies. Providing venues for adults to be entertained in any form always carries the risk that a small minority of weak or flawed characters will behave like idiots, but I think it is a shame when their behaviour spoils things for the majority of reasonable people.
    I'm not sure about that analogy - if there's the equivalent of a pub it would be the G&D. There's a reason that no other forums have the quivalent of the BP.

There's a reason that no other forums have the quivalent of the BP.
    And there's a reason TZ is such a unique forum. The BP was one contributing factor.
    Last edited by sean; 10th December 2017 at 21:01.

Do other forums allow discussion of politics/religion?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    And there's a reason TZ is such a unique forum. The BP was one contributing factor.
    And look what it degenerated into.

And look what it degenerated into.
    True. Not always, but enough times it seems.

Master
    Today of all days, when I'm stuck on a plane that's landed in Paris when it should be at Heathrow, when the cabin staff can't even get through to BA to find out what's going on and we've no idea if we going to UK or getting off here or what the hell is going on, I find the BP closed and no topical moan and rant thread to post in

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    Today of all days, when I'm stuck on a plane that's landed in Paris when it should be at Heathrow, when the cabin staff can't even get through to BA to find out what's going on and we've no idea if we going to UK or getting off here or what the hell is going on, I find the BP closed and no topical moan and rant thread to post in

there are a whole range of threads - Topical moans and rants being one that I think would be ok in the G&D if people keep it clean - let's face it, isn't the pub the place to go for a moan?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    there are a whole range of threads - Topical moans and rants being one that I think would be ok in the G&D if people keep it clean - let's face it, isn't the pub the place to go for a moan?
    No. Hyde Park is clearly designated as the place to have a moan. Just sayin like.

Eddie
    I knew someone was out there, how does a festive amnesty sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I knew someone was out there, how does a festive amnesty sound?
    It sounds unlikely.

Edde
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It sounds desperate.

It sounds unlikely.

Edde

But it's the season of miracles, and everyone knows that the story of the crucifixion ends with a resurrection around Easter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do other forums allow discussion of politics/religion?
    Not that I know of. In fact, there's always a very strict policy on that. The BP is unique in the forum world. I have -like others- read all postings. Man, man, I think that our host has a lot of patience!

Menno

Grand Master
    Must admit i stopped reading the bear pit quite some time back as it seemed to get deeply unpleasant very quickly a great deal of the time. A break will do some good i think.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post

Not that it helps, but all outbound short haul flights from LHR this evening were cancelled.....about 10 minutes after I arrived at LHR.

You did well not to land there, as my Heathrow Pod back to the car park was shared with two people who had spent the last three hours sitting in a plane on the tarmac having landed at just after noon.

Terminal 5 was chaotic.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Must admit i stopped reading the bear pit quite some time back as it seemed to get deeply unpleasant very quickly a great deal of the time. A break will do some good i think.
    Yes, it’s easy to be all for closing/banning/discontinuing things you don’t avail yourself of.

Master
    So can Morning Wood read our posts?
    Hows he getting on I wonder.
    He will be loving this stramash.

Howdy seems to be sicker in the head than I ever thought.

Master
    Howdy seems to be sicker in the head than I ever thought.
    That made me laugh Raffe when Im looking at your avatar.

Yes, it’s easy to be all for closing/banning/discontinuing things you don’t avail yourself of.

Exactly. I disagree with anyone saying it’s good that it’s gone. I enjoyed the Pit, and it added to the forum for me. Why should we allow a few to dictate areas of the forum?

It’s fairly simple, if you can’t behave you’ll be put out. I’d simply remove the rights of the few to access the Pit, rather than the many than used and enjoyed it.

Not my choice however.
    It's just a matter of time...

My new avatar seems to be a real hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Exactly. I disagree with anyone saying it’s good that it’s gone. I enjoyed the Pit, and it added to the forum for me. Why should we allow a few to dictate areas of the forum?

It’s fairly simple, if you can’t behave you’ll be put out. I’d simply remove the rights of the few to access the Pit, rather than the many than used and enjoyed it.

Not my choice however.
    +1

My new avatar seems to be a real hit.
    Not with me, it gives me the willies.

Grand Master
    I didn't say it should be closed, but a cooling off period might do the wider forum some good.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Not with me, it gives me the willies.
    You know it's only a movie, yeah?

You know it's only a movie, yeah?

Unable to post on BP

Glad the BP has gone. Some people used it solely as a way of making very nasty comments about others. This is a watch forum, not a place to act like psychopaths.

Unable to post on BP

I looked at it sometimes but never for long. Just couldn’t see the point in all the exhaustingly useless arguments. I don’t have the inclination or time to waste arguing with strangers via a keyboard. Each to their own.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I didn't say it should be closed, but a cooling off period might do the wider forum some good.
    It’ll be interesting to see how things work out without the BP, my guess is that within a few weeks it’ll feel like history and no-one will miss it. Time will tell.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’ll be interesting to see how things work out without the BP, my guess is that within a few weeks it’ll feel like history and no-one will miss it. Time will tell.

Paul
    I think it will take a while longer than that for some of the pond life to up sticks.

Chris

Sometimes I wonder what Paul thinks about the Bear Pit, but he is probably too busy fixing watches to post about it.