closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up online banking with rapport

Master

Heads up online banking with rapport

Just a quick heads up - a recent Google chrome update has caused the Rapport banking app icon to be greyed out and stop working properly.

Its easily missed when you are not consciously looking for it and if anything goes awry the banks don't need much excuse these days to abrogate responsibilities.

B

Rapport is best avoided - was a recent thread about this. Slowed my PC right down and uninstalled.

http://www.advantage77.com/2014/09/0...han-its-worth/

Master
    Spoke with my bank HSBC and said it was no longer a condition of internet banking and removed it as it slowed everything down.

Master
    It was a heads up - the choice is yours of course, as always :-)

I use it on three of my machines with no problems - though it was slow 3 years ago I admit.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 9th December 2017 at 12:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It was a heads up - the choice is yours of course, as always :-)

I use it on three of my machines with no problems - though it was slow 3 years ago I admit.

B
    Thanks for the heads up and like many threads on here some have been great for me.

I did use it for years when i first started internet banking and always thought you had to use it.However when i found out it was only recommended then i removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Rapport is best avoided - was a recent thread about this. Slowed my PC right down and uninstalled.

http://www.advantage77.com/2014/09/0...han-its-worth/
    Absolutely ruined my mac until I uninstalled as well

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Absolutely ruined my mac until I uninstalled as well
    Ah sorry - I forgot MAC - its not my area. I should have said Windows 10 only and XP final.

:-)

B

While Trusteer is reasonably technically proficient at mitigating Man In The Browser (MITB) attacks (albeit there have been many reports of performance issues), I would strongly suggest that everybody reads the End User License Agreement (EULA) before thinking of installing it.

The EULA basically allows IBM to remotely collect all sorts of information - including personal data - from your PC. For that reason I would never install IBM Trusteer Rapport on my PC, and would go so far as to close my account with any bank that tried to force me to use it.

http://www.trusteer.com/support/end-...ense-agreement

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Spoke with my bank HSBC and said it was no longer a condition of internet banking and removed it as it slowed everything down.
    Was it ever a condition? I worked there and have used internet banking since I left and have never even heard of rapport.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    While Trusteer is reasonably technically proficient at mitigating Man In The Browser (MITB) attacks (albeit there have been many reports of performance issues), I would strongly suggest that everybody reads the End User License Agreement (EULA) before thinking of installing it.

The EULA basically allows IBM to remotely collect all sorts of information - including personal data - from your PC. For that reason I would never install IBM Trusteer Rapport on my PC, and would go so far as to close my account with any bank that tried to force me to use it.

http://www.trusteer.com/support/end-...ense-agreement
    Fair point

They have another page (if you believe it )

http://www.trusteer.com/en/support/rapport-faqs

B

It was never a condition, more a strong suggestion. I think the most any bank got installed was ~20% of user base.
    The banks are liable for any loss as a result of banking trojans installed on customers machines, so they try as hard as possible to “encourage” you to install products like Trusteer to protect you (and them) from the advanced malicious banking malware.

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

There is a TI heads up on HSBC and couple of other banking mobile apps susceptibility to MITM attack :roll: just FYI.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I read about the the other day, think you were only at risk when using to a public WiFi connection. Think the apps should have been patched now.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I read about the the other day, think you were only at risk when using to a public WiFi connection. Think the apps should have been patched now.
    Slightly more complicated than that ;) http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~garciaf/pu...ns/spinner.pdf
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I also uninstalled rapport when it started hogging all my CPU.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I use it without problem and some banks actually do mandate its use.