closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega bracelet advice

Omega bracelet advice

Hi all - I'm taking delivery of one of the Lewis Watch Company SM300 new builds after Christmas (these are superb examples - I'll do a write-up about it after it lands) and its coming with a couple of Omega leather straps and one deployant clasp. The straps look okay and it's nice to have the deployant, but I think this one might be better on a bracelet.

Anyway, I was going to opt for a modern 1171.633 but I see that Cousins are no longer able to provide them (and I don't want a vintage one). I suppose the obvious alternative is an Omega mesh, but does anyone have any other suggestions that won't break the bank?

TIA :)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th December 2017 at 10:24.

Master
    How about asking a boutique for an 1171? Probably cheaper than Cousins these days anyway. They certainly are on links etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    How about asking a boutique for an 1171? Probably cheaper than Cousins these days anyway. They certainly are on links etc.
    Yes, that's the obvious solution, I guess. I'm still wondering whether the mesh is a better option, though.

Master
    Maybe try a Steib (sp?) as a quality but much cheaper mesh alternative. I don’t really rate the Omega ones, in fact to my eye all Omega bracelets were a bit rattly until the 90s designs. Rolex too.

EDIT: it is STAIB who do the affordable decent mesh bracelets.
    Last edited by Padders; 9th December 2017 at 11:35.

Master
    Buy a later 1171 if you don't want a vintage piece and buy new 633 end links.

Cousins can supply the end links; they have them in stock as I've just bought some. Just be mindful that they are sold singularly, not as pairs.

Craftsman
    I bought the 1171/633 from my local omega dealer for my speedyTuesday was about £320ish. Think it’s a nice bracelet but doesn’t feel great value for money, but when has this hobby ever been it’s rattly in a old jubilee kind of way.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    I bought the 1171/633 from my local omega dealer for my speedyTuesday was about £320ish. Think it’s a nice bracelet but doesn’t feel great value for money, but when has this hobby ever been it’s rattly in a old jubilee kind of way.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Looks well. Was that price including the end links?

The 1171 will look much better than any mesh on it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Hi all - I'm taking delivery of one of the Lewis Watch Company SM300 new builds after Christmas (these are superb examples - I'll do a write-up about it after it lands) and its coming with a couple of Omega leather straps and one deployant clasp. The straps look okay and it's nice to have the deployant, but I think this one might be better on a bracelet.

Anyway, I was going to opt for a modern 1171.633 but I see that Cousins are no longer able to provide them (and I don't want a vintage one). I suppose the obvious alternative is an Omega mesh, but does anyone have any other suggestions that won't break the bank?

TIA :)
    I've tried an Omega mesh on mine and I really don't think it worked as well as the 1171:

I have to admit, the Staib mesh looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I've tried an Omega mesh on mine and I really don't think it worked as well as the 1171:

Agreed, actually. Maybe it needs more of a Milanese style?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The 1171 will look much better than any mesh on it.
    Agreed
    The mesh doesn't suit it so well

I'm not convinced about mesh on any watch tbh

Looking for a satisfactory bracelet for that is going to be a thankless task. You can either have something that looks right but is hideously expensive for what it is and isn't actually that comfortable, or you can have something that doesn't look right, isn't hideously expensive but is still uncomfortable. Just my 2p. I'd go nice black leather or hirsch performance. Nato would only cheapen the watch imo.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Looks well. Was that price including the end links?
    Yeah included the 633 end links too, they came shrink wrapped together in a packet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    Yeah included the 633 end links too, they came shrink wrapped together in a packet.
    I paid over £60 for a pair of end links from Cousins inc vat. 🙁

Grand Master
    I built a couple of these a few years back and supplied one with an 1171.I also briefly owned one with an 1171 bracelet back in the days when the bracelets were around £100.

Have to say I’m not a fan of this bracelet, the modern ones Omega sell are poorer quality than the originals..........but that’s Swatch Group all over, the organisation’s got very questionable core values in my opinion and selling poor quality replacement bracelets typifies this.

The bracelet used for the 2254.50 (1610.930) would fit if the end pieces could be modified a little by micro-welding the underside to make them contact the case properly and prevent thwm swivelling around. Same applies to a Bond 1503/825 but I don’t think it would suit the watch well. I tried this myself and I’m sure the holes lined up OK and the length was fine, but the little tags on the back weren’t deep enough. Heating end bending up slightly might work, but building them up with micro-welding would be better.

I sold a Seamaster 300 with a Cousins strap at under £20 and it looked great. I think that woukd be my preferred option again.

Paul

Thanks guys. Given all the comments above I may just see how I get on with the Omega leathers and deployant. It doesn't look too bad, really...

Last edited by learningtofly; 10th December 2017 at 10:42.

Tony i know alot of people will think this is heresy but i think it would look really nice on a perforated strap like the dimodell rallye
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Tony i know alot of people will think this is heresy but i think it would look really nice on a perforated strap like the dimodell rallye
    Hmmm...

Master
    I have had a couple of 'new build' SM300 and my preferred strap is a black Di Modell shark skin. IMO a classic diver suits a shark skin strap better than anything else. My favourite is the, sadly discontinued, Hirsch Artisan Shark range, but the Di Modell is pretty good too.