closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Presage… a new Ltd Ed Blue Enamel “Moonlit Night”

Master

Seiko Presage… a new Ltd Ed Blue Enamel “Moonlit Night”

https://shop.hodinkee.com/blogs/jour...imited-edition – a rather good preview, compared to that of the SJX and Time&Tide articles.

Grand Master
    Very nice watch.

Is it available from a UK supplier?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't work out if I like that sunken drain hole effect on the dial at the centre and date window - it's like they've punched through the dial with the wrong size punch for the components used. The depth of the dial looks lovely aside from that though.

Master
    An inevitable result of the enamelling process. I think it looks great personally, and shows that its not a standard painted or printed dial.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    An inevitable result of the enamelling process. I think it looks great personally, and shows that its not a standard painted or printed dial.

I think I'd appreciate it more if the date window hadn't been framed with the white. Leaving the dial to fall away, almost naturally onto the date might have made it look less like how I initially described it.

Master
    Yes, I know what you mean regarding that. I used to have a white enamel dial Seiko Sarx027, and there was an issue with all of those. The dial material showed through the enamelling at that the edge of the date window, so maybe they are disguising this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Should be, especially with 1500 of them being made.
    I’d imagine the Knightsbridge Boutique, and Jura are certainties.
    I’d like to think other ADs who’ve had a few Presage pieces, will also be able to secure a few for themselves/enquiring customers.

A couple of things strike me: two of the three 'sites mentioned in the OP sell this watch. The 'dink *appears* to have already sold the 150 pieces it has been allocated. That's ten per cent of the total run. T+T is "out of stock" so I assume they have also sold their allocation of 20 (they also packaged the watch with an additional strap).

The trouble is that, whilst it has an interesting dial [though the flat Roman numerals are awful to my eyes], it is totally mis-matched with a rather cheap (and cheap-looking) movement. Like they say, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    The trouble is that, whilst it has an interesting dial [though the flat Roman numerals are awful to my eyes], it is totally mis-matched with a rather cheap (and cheap-looking) movement. Like they say, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    Why does a good dial have to have an expensive movement?

Eyes in his wrist?

Or perhaps there are sumptuary laws for movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Because otherwise it is just a fashion watch with no substance - like putting marble columns on the front of a suburban mid-terrace. It will do for those desperate for an enamel dial, perhaps, but, for me at least, would feel like a very poor way to scratch the itch. Of course I merely speak for myself; others can, and will, form their own opinion!

I've an opinion forming, but it's not about the watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Because otherwise it is just a fashion watch with no substance - like putting marble columns on the front of a suburban mid-terrace. It will do for those desperate for an enamel dial, perhaps, but, for me at least, would feel like a very poor way to scratch the itch. Of course I merely speak for myself; others can, and will, form their own opinion!
    I'd personally agree, but very much up to the buyer. There are watches that look great, others that are mechanically impressive, and some do both. There's a space for all. Seiko for sure do some of the best movements available, but this is all about the dial and the look, and if adding a higher end movement pushes it out of the target market, then the movement would be the thing to 'compromise' (all relative - I'm sure it keeps fabulous time, and it looks really nice)

Master
    Ugh, a lowly 6R15, how very dare they!
    To me it's one of the best low cost movements out there, runs right alongside the eta in my experience. Eta movements can be found in watches from a few hundred to a few thousand pounds. Different grades admittedly, but I've not had better accuracy out of expensive ones (Tudor), compared to cheaper ones (Hamilton). The same with the 6R15 except this watch is probably as expensive as Seiko go with it. The now 5 year old 6R15 in my Alpinist is still a couple of seconds a week out, the most accurate mechanical watch I have owned, and so it certainly wouldn't stop me having one of these. Movements can be debated all day long. Innovations and horological firsts are great and very interesting, but timekeeping and reliability are all that ultimately matter.

I saw this today and a post from a chap on FB who just bought one in the Far East.

There is a shop near me that stock a lot of Seiko and I have bought a blue lagoon samurai in the past, they get a lot of there limited stock from the local seiko rep.

I showed them a picture and enquired about watch, they knew nothing but then they rang the rep, then seiko uk. the rep phoned them straight back to say he was getting 5 for his area the south of England but had sold two with three remaining.

It is £999 apparently and the very nice sales lady said if you give us a 30% deposit now, they will secure the watch for me. I declined as I just wanted to know if they might get one and would like to see it before committing to buy.

Getting end of January I was told,

It was very impressive the lengths they went to source info on it, I was told I needed to commit now as I would not get one as it looks to be very popular, I agreed but I am not desperate to buy the watch.

I think it looks fantastic, and will be popular.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    For the money I think it's a superb piece.
    I agree, although as a caveat you can buy much the same watch from Seiko with a white or black enamel dial for a good few hundred less, which are even better value. But that's the price of having a limited edition I guess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Hear hear :)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    I agree, although as a caveat you can buy much the same watch from Seiko with a white or black enamel dial for a good few hundred less, which are even better value. But that's the price of having a limited edition I guess.
    Good point - there was a white dial, red 12 version that looked interesting, but I've never seen one in the metal. I'd forgotten about the other versions with power reserves, etc.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jura, they are taking preorders since yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice but I don't like the shape of the crown

Craftsman
    Do like this watch but would like to try it on first.