closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag service

Tag service

Chap I know has a calibre 12 Monaco and has been quoted a servicing charge of over £500 from Beaverbrooks .
    Do you know of any cheaper alternatives or must he suck it up and pay.
    Any pointers will be gratefully passed on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Have you tried the search function whilst waiting on replies?

Forum search?
    No but good idea ta

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    TAG calibre 12 features an ETA 2892 movement with the Dubois Depraz chronograph module on top. Here's where the problems start for servicing; Omega use a similar arrangement on their 3220 and 1140 movement found in the Speedmaster Reduced, but there's a technical guide available for the Omega DD module and it isn`t too difficult to service. I`ve just done my first one last week so I speak from experience, it isn`t too demanding provided the instructions are followed....and no parts are lost! However, what I`m not sure about is how similar the TAG/ETA version is to the Omega version and whether the same technical guide can be used. In principle they're very similar but as with all watch work the devil's in the detail. What I do know is that parts aren't available for the ETA version used in the TAG Calibre 17, the chronograph module has to be exchanged at service time, and I`m guessing the cal 12 is the same. I did read that the cal 12 uses a DD module whereas the cal 17 uses ETA........my guess is that they're all made by Dubois Depraz but I could be wrong. That's not to say it can`t be serviced by someone competent but I`ve heard horror stories about this version being difficult to reassemble without a special movement holder.

Some repairers will service the main watch movement without touching the chrono module, and provided the watch runs correctly and meets all specifications in the tech guide that's acceptable, it's not ideal but it's acceptable provided the price charged reflects this. Indeed, I`ve just serviced a TAG cal 17 on this basis this very week, the watch is running perfectly regarding amplitude, amplitude drop with chrono running, and rate etc. The price will be very favourable for the owner but I can`t guarantee the watch against chronograph problems over the 12 month period. The chrono module's unlikely to give problems but eventually it does need cleaning and lubricating, when this happens the amplitude will be poor and that'll be obvious on the timegrapher. at that stage the bullet has to be bitten one way or another.

So unless a repairer's prepared to strip the chrono module down these movements can only be partially serviced. That may be acceptable and may restore the performance of the watch for a few years. If any repairers have experience of stripping these chrono modules down successfully I`d be happy to hear about it, until someone assures me it isn`t too bad a job I won`t touch one. It appears that these piggy-back chrono modules do differ in detail, but by how much I don`t know.

I think people have to be aware of the potential service costs of these piggy-back chronographs when they choose to own these watches. Ironically, TAG/LVMH are much more helpful regarding parts supply to bona fide repairers but they won`t supply the chrono module separately. That's the answer I was given last year when I enquired, it seems daft to me.....but the whole watch repair game is crazy thesedays and that's one reason I`ve become disillusioned with it.

Can`t beat a Valjoux 7750 chronograph movement, whatever the purists might say! Most watch-monkeys can service them, and that's a big plus

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Forum search?
    No but good idea ta
    Here you go…
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Tag-servicing
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...or-independent