closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2254.50 service

Craftsman

2254.50 service

Afternoon all,

I've recently picked up one of these and absolutely love it. I bought it as an evening and weekends beater, basically something to wear when hanging out with my kids without worrying about. As such, I wasn't looking for a perfect reference as it's kind of counter intuitive because I don't want to be babying it. However, what I've found is that its less than perfect condition bothers me a bit. I'm a loser I know. I think its just that this is the first time I've bought something that wasn't absolutely mint and it annoys me a little bit when I see scuffs on the bezel etc, however trivial it may be.

I'm tempted to put it in for a service at omega but I reckon what they'll do is replace the whole bezel rather than trying to fanny around with it.

Anybody have experience or an idea of how much this would cost. I'm guessing maybe 400 +??

Thanks in advance

Grand Master
    I think Omega charge around £200 to replace the bezel. Prior to the Swatch Group parts restrictions I was buying them for around £185 but prices for remaining stocks have rocketed so it's cheaper to get it replaced by an Omega accredited repairer who has access to parts.

Trying to refinish these bezels isn`t always successful, even if the insert's in decent condition. Once the bezel's picked up deep scratches and gouges it's impossible to get it right. Light scratching can be corrected with minimal loss of sharpness, but some loss of edges is inevitable and it's something to look out for on these.

I`ve serviced and sorted lots of these in the past. Usually a scruffy bezel's a sign of a watch that's had a busy life, but given that some of these watches are 20+ years old it's hardly surprising.

Omega charge around £350 for service and refinishing, but if the bezel's beyond refinishing it'll need replacing. They can`t force you to have it replaced but I`m guessing they won`t refinish a bezel that's too far gone.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th December 2017 at 13:54.

Master
    No repairer can fix a scuffed bezel on those, it is a replacement only job, Omega wont even attempt to improve it. Omega will be a flat £380 for a service plus around £200 for a bezel so I am afraid to make it look mint will cost you circa £580. SMPs are wonderful but a scruffy one gets expensive fast.

Grand Master
    Without seeing the scratches/damage it’s hard to give clear advice.

Damage to the insert can’t be fixed, that’s a certainty, but the bezel itself can be worked on and improved provided the damage is light. I was under the impression that Omega do this as part of their refinishing process, I’m sure I’ve seen watches fresh from Omega service and I’ve been able to see that the bezel’s been refinished.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Without seeing the scratches/damage it’s hard to give clear advice.

Damage to the insert can’t be fixed, that’s a certainty, but the bezel itself can be worked on and improved provided the damage is light. I was under the impression that Omega do this as part of their refinishing process, I’m sure I’ve seen watches fresh from Omega service and I’ve been able to see that the bezel’s been refinished.

Paul
    Wasn't contradicting you Paul, we cross posted. Yes it was the insert I was specifically meaning, I am sure they can brush the scalloping but it is the insert which tends to show the damage the most and they wont touch that on a 2254 or 2531. Interestingly the polished insert on the 2255 and others can be brought back quite well with Cape Cod etc in my experience but not a good idea on an anodised one like the 2254 etc.
    Last edited by Padders; 7th December 2017 at 14:21.

Craftsman

2254.50 service

Thank a lot for the detailed responses, they are much appreciated. The scuffs aren’t that bad, I know I’m being picky. But then, you are what you are..

I’d say condition would be classed as very good. I know another option would be to sell this one and then look out for another that is in tip top condition. Only thing is that most of them have a bit of bruising, given the age of the watches. Mines a 2008 so one of the newer ones and it was serviced I think 4 yrs ago or less. So I’d be looking for a mint one with service history which is hard to come by. Anyway, here’s a pic to put a face to the name. I’ve just put it on a nato to try but actually prefer the bracelet so will be switching it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    When I've bought a watch either on here or other,I've looked at it close enough to accept the way it now is ie used,and accept the way it looks if I go ahead and buy it,not to then alter it!.
    I can see why someone might not want a watch that is almost new with some cosmetic issues,but the price would or should allow for that IMO,you decide what to do at that time.
    I quite like some of my watches to show they were used as intended,mostly which are vintage.I would never think about replacing the bezel on for eg an SMP,I've only ever bought ones that had minimal signs of wear etc simply because I know how expensive they are,I have an SMP with a lovely faded bezel which under a loupe may have hairlines,but it ain't going to be changed!,imo it wouldn't look as nice as it does.

Some on here really are looking for perfection,when in reality it ain't there.

Scrutinise a new watch and you'll find fault if you look close enough.

Look at things thru the eyes you have,mine are 58 and see things pretty much blurry anyway,so a second hand hitting the markers or a date slightly out,or a small mark on the bezel won't be ever seen by me!.

Grand Master
    Just seen your watch.......looks superb to me.

Master
    Yes I have seen a lot worse than that one.

Craftsman

2254.50 service

Ok thanks for the input folks. Only watch that I’ve bought before at round about this age was a 14060m but I think for whatever reason they do seem to be treated more with kid gloves, prob because they are in a whole other price range whereas these watches are much more likely to be worn day to day without prejudice. Wouldn’t go as far as to say I’m a perfectionist. The pics really didn’t show much detail of the bezel, which I think you need to see really close up to scrutinise. Just not used to having wee dings is all!

Master
    That's bob on for a beater. I think your bigger issue is having a beater full stop. The point is that it's ok for them to get a little scuffed up, if it's going to bother you it might be worth looking at a Damasko or something cheaper i.e. more resistant to marking up or cheaper, whichever might work for you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    That's bob on for a beater. I think your bigger issue is having a beater full stop. The point is that it's ok for them to get a little scuffed up, if it's going to bother you it might be worth looking at a Damasko or something cheaper i.e. more resistant to marking up or cheaper, whichever might work for you.
    Nah I think your points well made. I’ve traded up to this from an skx007 and 9 which used to share to load. Much as I liked them I thought they got a lot of wrist time when much nicer watches were languishing in the box. Have always loved the Peter Blake so looked at is as an opportunity to convince myself of another necessary purchase.

Craftsman
    I’ve a 2254.50 I’ve had from new that I had fully serviced then dinged the bezel and had that replaced also. The prices quoted above are close to that I paid I think. If you want it looking spanking new I can thoroughly recommend Omega UK to handle it. They were great to deal with and my watch looks perfect.

Depending on what you paid and if a full set, I imagine investing a bit in a refurb won’t be completely lost should you ever wish to sell. Good ones seem to do well and sell quickly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    I’ve a 2254.50 I’ve had from new that I had fully serviced then dinged the bezel and had that replaced also. The prices quoted above are close to that I paid I think. If you want it looking spanking new I can thoroughly recommend Omega UK to handle it. They were great to deal with and my watch looks perfect.

Depending on what you paid and if a full set, I imagine investing a bit in a refurb won’t be completely lost should you ever wish to sell. Good ones seem to do well and sell quickly.
    Thanks mate. I think my plan for now is to wear it for a bit then see how I feel. I do like the sound of a full overhaul but would seem silly to do something like that so shortly after purchasing. I might beat it for a year or 2 then treat it to love. In the mean time though If I saw a really nice one then I’d probably just buy and sell as it would seem a cheaper way to do things. I think the distance between mine and excellent sales wise is prob 200-300 which I’d be quite happy to absorb. Prob as I’ve said is that you just don’t know when they’re gonna need a service and mine is running very well.

Master
    That looks pretty good to me.

As stated above Omega Service Centre do an excellent job on servicing and refinishing, that’s where I would send it.

It it may be worth giving them a ring to see what they advise.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Wasn't contradicting you Paul, we cross posted. Yes it was the insert I was specifically meaning, I am sure they can brush the scalloping but it is the insert which tends to show the damage the most and they wont touch that on a 2254 or 2531. Interestingly the polished insert on the 2255 and others can be brought back quite well with Cape Cod etc in my experience but not a good idea on an anodised one like the 2254 etc.
    Agreed, there's nothing that can be done for the insert, it's infuriating that Omega don`t sell it as a separate part (Rolex-style) and the after-market inserts were a joke last time I tried one.

The polished inserts on the 2255 can usually be restored. I`ve stripped the remains of the painted numbers out, flatted out all the scratches, repolished the metal then repainted the numbers.......not my favourite job but the results are usually excellent. Putting the paint on is the hard part, I`ve yet to find an easy way!

Sometimes I miss working on Seamaster Pros, but Omega clearly don`t want monkeys like me touching 'em and that's why they've done what they did with restricting parts supply. It's wrong, we all know that. My limited supply of case parts is earmarked for my own watches (should they be needed) plus a couple I`ve agreed to do for people. I`m not prepared to pay the silly 'black market' prices for stuff like hands and crowns, and without access to these parts I`m pushing my luck working on them.........it could turn out expensive for me if I have a bad day at the office!

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    That looks pretty good to me.

As stated above Omega Service Centre do an excellent job on servicing and refinishing, that’s where I would send it.

It it may be worth giving them a ring to see what they advise.
    Cheers fella

Craftsman
    Agreed, there's nothing that can be done for the insert, it's infuriating that Omega don`t sell it as a separate part (Rolex-style) and the after-market inserts were a joke last time I tried one.

The polished inserts on the 2255 can usually be restored. I`ve stripped the remains of the painted numbers out, flatted out all the scratches, repolished the metal then repainted the numbers.......not my favourite job but the results are usually excellent. Putting the paint on is the hard part, I`ve yet to find an easy way!

Sometimes I miss working on Seamaster Pros, but Omega clearly don`t want monkeys like me touching 'em and that's why they've done what they did with restricting parts supply. It's wrong, we all know that. My limited supply of case parts is earmarked for my own watches (should they be needed) plus a couple I`ve agreed to do for people. I`m not prepared to pay the silly 'black market' prices for stuff like hands and crowns, and without access to these parts I`m pushing my luck working on them.........it could turn out expensive for me if I have a bad day at the office!

Paul
    Thanks for the info

STS is probably the best way to go, as I’m sure they would do what they could to keep it original.

In some ways Im glad mine is still LNIB, but then that stops me wearing and enjoying it. I’d consider selling it for bitcoins lol
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    STS is probably the best way to go, as I’m sure they would do what they could to keep it original.

In some ways Im glad mine is still LNIB, but then that stops me wearing and enjoying it. I’d consider selling it for bitcoins lol

Master

Mine is still LNIB too. I bought it unused, a few months old in 2004/5 for £630ish. I have worn it quite a lot, including to the office etc and, so far, it has avoided getting bashed. I think it may be something to do with its low profile, particularly as I frequently wear a Panerai or a Breitling Skyland Avenger, so maybe I have become accustomed to keeping my wrist tucked in.
    Sorry I can't help with the bezel - I do have an unused bezel for a Bond Seamaster that I'm hanging onto in the hope that a cheap watch, in bad need of a bezel, crops up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Mine is still LNIB too. I bought it unused, a few months old in 2004/5 for £630ish. I have worn it quite a lot, including to the office etc and, so far, it has avoided getting bashed. I think it may be something to do with its low profile, particularly as I frequently wear a Panerai or a Breitling Skyland Avenger, so maybe I have become accustomed to keeping my wrist tucked in.
    Sorry I can't help with the bezel - I do have an unused bezel for a Bond Seamaster that I'm hanging onto in the hope that a cheap watch, in bad need of a bezel, crops up.
    Ha, not a problem mate. Well done for keeping it pristine for 15yrs!

Apprentice

Lightbulb

bitcoins, could be a great idea! Very LOL

Craftsman
    Nipped into the omega boutique today (ended up picking up a nato - oops) and they quoted 415 for a service. The girl said she didn’t think it would need a bezel replacement. But I guess that’s just something I’ll find out if and when I decide to stick it in. Right now, I’m just gonna wear it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    Nipped into the omega boutique today (ended up picking up a nato - oops) and they quoted 415 for a service. The girl said she didn’t think it would need a bezel replacement. But I guess that’s just something I’ll find out if and when I decide to stick it in. Right now, I’m just gonna wear it

Err that £415 includes a cheeky £35 handling fee for doing basically nothing. Call OSC in Southampton and AFAIK they will provide a pre-paid pack to post it to them. Bezel replacement is entirely up to you, they won't insist but would charge extra if you wanted it.

Here is the official Omega pricing showing £380

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...mplete-service
    Last edited by Padders; 8th December 2017 at 21:20.

Grand Master
    £380 is a lot of money to service a very straightforward watch! What price the warm feeling of knowing it’s been to Omega’s service centre?

Paying a premium to get co-axial’s serviced is understandable, but this is a basic ETA 2892. Frankly, I think sending one of these to Omega for service is overkill, plenty of inependents could do a good job for a lot less.

As for the bezel, if the insert’s scratched it’ll be no better after service.

Unless the watch needs service I strongly advise the OP to leave it as it is unless it looks really ropey. If it’s going to be an everyday wearer it’ll soon pick up a few more marks and scratches so perhaps it’s better left as it is. A picture would’ve been useful, it’s hard to envisage what the watch is really like.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Err that £415 includes a cheeky £35 handling fee for doing basically nothing. Call OSC in Southampton and AFAIK they will provide a pre-paid pack to post it to them. Bezel replacement is entirely up to you, they won't insist but would charge extra if you wanted it.

Here is the official Omega pricing showing £380

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...mplete-service
    Thanks for the tip!

Craftsman
    £380 is a lot of money to service a very straightforward watch! What price the warm feeling of knowing it’s been to Omega’s service centre?

Paying a premium to get co-axial’s serviced is understandable, but this is a basic ETA 2892. Frankly, I think sending one of these to Omega for service is overkill, plenty of inependents could do a good job for a lot less.

As for the bezel, if the insert’s scratched it’ll be no better after service.

Unless the watch needs service I strongly advise the OP to leave it as it is unless it looks really ropey. If it’s going to be an everyday wearer it’ll soon pick up a few more marks and scratches so perhaps it’s better left as it is. A picture would’ve been useful, it’s hard to envisage what the watch is really like.

Paul
    The watch is fine mate, I’m just being picky. The whole thing would imo benefit from a wee tidy up but it is by no means necessary. Pics at the top of the thread. Don’t think I’ll be rushing to get a service but when I do I’ll appreciate piece of mind re health of the movement, water proofing, and of course the aesthetic benefits of a nice spit shine

Grand Master
    Ah, hadn`t seen the pics.

Just had a look and I`m certain that bezel's been refinished in the past, the edges look a bit soft to me. Could be the picture quality but the bezel edges don`t look sharp.

Suggest you contact me if/when you decide to do anything with it, I may be able to help.

Paul

Craftsman
    Ah, hadn`t seen the pics.

Just had a look and I`m certain that bezel's been refinished in the past, the edges look a bit soft to me. Could be the picture quality but the bezel edges don`t look sharp.

Suggest you contact me if/when you decide to do anything with it, I may be able to help.

Paul
    Okeydoke mate, that’s really helpful. Thanks.

One of my all time favourite watches. Yours to me looks great as it is. As you are wearing it as a beater and hanging out with your kids I would wait until it gets a few more significant signs of use and then send it in for a service and tidy uk.

I do know what you mean though one of my watches has a very tiny mark on it and it's this that bugs me the most out of all the others.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    One of my all time favourite watches. Yours to me looks great as it is. As you are wearing it as a beater and hanging out with your kids I would wait until it gets a few more significant signs of use and then send it in for a service and tidy uk.

I do know what you mean though one of my watches has a very tiny mark on it and it's this that bugs me the most out of all the others.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Funny how sometimes you know you are being silly about something but you just can’t help it. Guess that’s what makes us who we are..